It's official- Maryland to the Big Ten

BaltBird 24

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It had to happen. The ACC I grew up with died a long time ago. No more home and homes throughout the conference killed the basketball rivalries.

The conference is getting lapped by the other large conferences too. The ACC has no national network. I won't have to watch a MD game on my computer anymore. Heck, even the press conference is going to be televised nationally on the Big 10 network.

This is a massive academic windfall as well. The Big 10 shares research and grant money with the conference members. That's 10's of millions of dollars more for the university annually.

Football is the moneymaker athletically and the ACC is about to become the Big East. Florida St. and Clemson are going to bolt out of there next and then the ACC is going to be in rough shape. MD had no real choice. They are going to be able to dig out of their financial hole very quickly now that they are in a super conference.

As much as I wish it was still the ACC of my youth, it's not even close. MD made the best choice for the university and it's future.

I don't like at all. I think this is a short cited move. With Uconn and Syracuse joining the ACC there will be a much more east coast presence in the ACC compared to the Big Ten. Rutgers and Penn State? Give me a break. I am not interested in joining them. Down the road I see the new ACC forming their own cable network just like he Big Ten. Maryland will be regretting this I bet. Very sad.

Not much to say except I'm really, really going to miss those games against Duke and North Carolina and the possibly future meetings with Syracuse.

Sigh, Big Ten basketball is so boring, but not we get Indiana and Ohio State.

This statement could not be more wrong in my opinion. Some of the best coaching minds in the country belong in the Big Ten...Mich St, Michigan, Ohio St, Indiana, Illinois (Groce a good coach), Wisconsin. The ACC has become too top heavy and the quality has dropped recently.

With increased revenue - I think this is a good move.

I have said for years this is the best collection of coaches in the Big 10 than perhaps in conference history. I understand watching Wisconsin play is like watching paint dry, but the coaches in Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota - these guys came from other conferences and play much more up-tempo - though with a healthy dose of defense.

Illinois is going to be very good very quickly as well and Purdue will rebound also. I hope Maryland's better days are ahead because this conference has eight or so schools that could hover around the top 25 for a long time with decent recruiting (before Rutgers and Maryland join).

I don't know if this is a good move for Maryland or not. I've followed Maryland sports for over 35 years and it seems the more schools that are invited into the ACC the weaker it leaves some of the charter schools including Maryland. The finances are obviously the key factor.

IMO, if the major conferences realign, the ACC could end up with an incredibly weak football conference - particularly if a Florida school leaves for the SEC or B1G. Right now, Big 10 football is the weakest I have ever seen with some schools in transition (Michigan, OSU), others depleted (Penn State), etc. I expect it may take a few more years, but the cycle will turn and the conference will again be like playing a top 40-50 team every weak.

FWIW, it is not-for-nothing that Rutgers and Maryland are quality academic institutions - something appreciated in the Big 10.

Think this is a good move for Maryland. The old tradition in the ACC died a long time ago, which many people are using for a reason of staying in the ACC. Home and home games against Duke, and UNC will be gone after this season. The ACC decided that those teams aren't our rivals, and Wake, and Clemson are better basketball rivalries than us.

Not only to mention how bad financially the AD department is because of Yow's ridiculous spending on non-revenue sports. Thought it was funny when Gary was asked why UMD was in such dire straights, and he laughed, smirked and said no comment. Based on some economic journalists, UMD is projected to make $43 mil more in the B1G through 2017 than they would've in the ACC. In 2020, UMD is projected to make $100 mil more in the B1G than the ACC.

Also, rumblings were coming out that FSU, and Clemson are interested in a move to the BIG 12, or SEC. If those dominoes were to fall before UMD were to move, UMD would be stuck with an ACC that would be in dissaray. UNC, GT, and UVA are also rumored to want to leave for B1G or the BIG 12.

Turgeon, while upset at first on the move is on board, due to the increase in budget UMD would garner. He was quoted as to saying he does all of the fundraising for the team, and can't wait for when he doesn't have to anymore.

Recruiting for football should be better, with Locksley having coached in the B1G, and going to a Rose Bowl in 2008, in Illinois. Top Junior QB recruit has increased his interest in UMD due to moving in the B1G. Basketball on the other hand would be a lateral move. UMD should continue to keep homegrown talent at bay, and continue pipelines in Texas, and in the midwest.

As a Maryland alumni - 47 years ago - the ACC tradition was always a core value for me. I really hate the move, and the people who authorized it had little or no tie to the school. The ACC tradition meant nothing to them. But that said, I understand the why of it.......$$$$. It's always about money. However, I think that in the longer term, the move might prove to be a bit short-sighted because I think the ACC will continue to realign - already adding Miami, VPI, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and (in part) Notre Dame - into a more powerful conference than the Big 10. Plus, If you think Maryland football stinks, wait until 2014. We might not win a game for 10 years. Basketball, on the other hand, might fair better, but won't be as much fun to watch without playing Duke, Carolina, NC State, etc.

I don't get why folks think MD basketball will be better off. MSU and OSU can match Duke and UNC. Then they've got Indiana, Mich and Wisconsin, whom the ACC can't match. After that, Illinois, Purdue and Iowa are always tough. MD could take a step back in bball too.

I don't think anyone can argue that the Big Ten isn't a better top-to-bottom conference in BBall right now. But since when is tough competition a bad thing? Looking at the moves Turgeon has made I see no reason why MD can't consistently be in the Top 1/4 of the Big Ten in basketball and be battle tested/better prepared for the tourney (which is what matters in the end).

So I don't really get your point.

I don't get why folks think MD basketball will be better off. MSU and OSU can match Duke and UNC. Then they've got Indiana, Mich and Wisconsin, whom the ACC can't match. After that, Illinois, Purdue and Iowa are always tough. MD could take a step back in bball too.

Here's a Washington Times story laying out Maryland's record against Big 10 teams in football and basketball. As you can see, Maryland has held its own in basketball, but mostly gotten their butts kicked in football. I see no reason for that scenario to change.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/d1scourse/2012/nov/20/marylands-history-with-big-ten-football-basketball/

Archived