Future of Rays in TB in doubt?

Dark Helmet

St. Pete isn't even interested in letting the team move to Tampa.

Maybe not, but the Rays could take it to court. I found this little tidbit of info..The bolded is the interesting part.

Foster may regret these words if the Rays and St. Pete ever end up in court. The state of the art in ballpark design changed dramatically between 1995 and the present, and one plausible argument for the Rays breaking a lease would be that Tropicana Field was not an adequate facility for a profitable Major League Baseball team. Also, it will be harder to argue for damages past 2015, when the bonds on the Trop will mostly be paid off; the team pays no lease, and the city makes little on the Rays once hard costs like police are paid

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since their agreement runs through 2027, the "clock" will take a very long time to expire. From what I've read, the Rays pay $0.50 per ticket sold to use Tropicana Field. That's under $1 mm per year, and wouldn't be much of an impediment. However, the agreement specifies that the Rays can't even talk to another party about playing elsewhere before 2027, and provides that a court may issue an injunction if they try.

If that is all it is, .50, then you could feasibly see a buy out. $50m seems to be a nice number to start at. It takes care of the $15m that the ticket sales cost, and puts a dent in any perseived lost revenue. If I am a landlord, you are paying me 3 times your "rent" just to leave, that gives me the next 45 years of revenue to find a suitable tenant. I know this is over simplifying, but I am sure a deal could be worked out. I say all of this with no real care where the Rays play, just saying a deal could be worked out.

Maybe not, but the Rays could take it to court. I found this little tidbit of info..The bolded is the interesting part.

MLB approved the stadium.

Like I said, they go to court, they will have to open their books. They don't want to do that. The other teams don't want them doing that.

The Rays are profitable.

Not sure why you want to keep hammering this topic, it is not as if you have any actual information about the Rays trying to move out of Tampa/St Pete.

Like I said, they go to court, they will have to open their books. They don't want to do that. The other teams don't want them doing that.

The Rays are profitable.

Not sure why you want to keep hammering this topic, it is not as if you have any actual information about the Rays trying to move out of Tampa/St Pete.

I'm not sure why you think the Rays would have to open their books. How would the profitability of the Rays be relevant? The issue would be the extent to which St. Pete would be damaged if the Rays breached their contract, and whether the clause providing for injunctive relief is enforceable. None of that turns on the Rays' profitability.

I'm not sure why you think the Rays would have to open their books. How would the profitability of the Rays be relevant? The issue would be the extent to which St. Pete would be damaged if the Rays breached their contract, and whether the clause providing for injunctive relief is enforceable. None of that turns on the Rays' profitability.

That, from a litigator.

They wouldn't have to show that their franchise is being negatively impacted by staying in the Trop?

The Rays are profitable.

Sorry for trying to discusssomething other then the usual, Hamilton and Butler topics. The fact the Rays want a new stadium, and that Tampa/St Pete aren't willing to do so, is information enough.

The Rays are profitable.

Sternberg had asked Foster for a number of concessions in the use agreement, including lifting the lease’s prohibition on negotiations with other municipalities. In return, Sternberg offered contract language that would prohibit a new agreement elsewhere “until the Rays and the City of St. Petersburg have reached a mutually-acceptable resolution regarding how best to wind down our lease of Tropicana Field.”

Those don't look like the comment's of an owner, willing to look elswhere for a new stadium?

Miami could support a team that didn't have terrible ownership, even with the demographic issues that affect sports there. They're easily a top-20 media market and maybe top 15.

Yes they're a top media market; but South Florida is a very very fickle sports town; the only team down there with consistent support are the Heat. The Dolphins are probably next on that list which is saying a lot. The Panthers are doing so-so; and we all know how the Marlins are doing. The Marlins problem isn't just ownership, it's just a terrible area for teams that aren't winning championships constantly (look at the Hurricanes attendance issues, and it's not just because they moved to joe robbie); granted most towns are, but south florida is on a whole other level. I think part of that has to deal with a good chunk of the population down there have team loyalties elsewhere or an extreme disinterest in the sport. We're talking about an area that lost a MLS team with a population that probably has an above average interest in soccer. This is just based on my experience of living down there for a couple of years.

All that article does, is show how a new stadium could be funded IF approved. No where did it say, a new stadium is guaranteed. I think you'd have a hard time convincing tax payers, to take a hit on that.

It's too bad the Rays don't have more of a fan base. The fans they do have are very passionate and knowledgeable about their team, the division and baseball overall. I live just 2 hours away from the area, even though I don't care for the stadium I always enjoy traveling down there to take in an Orioles-Rays game.

They're probably my 2nd favorite team in baseball. I keep hoping that they'll catch on, they have a great front office and they always have good young talent. Maybe their marketing efforts need to improve.

Archived