So Buster Olney says the Orioles are looking to re-sign Saunders

MachadOboutManny

With the market set a bit by the Guthrie deal, what sort of deal will we offer Saunders. I can only hope that we are outbid; any investment of 3 years would be a disaster of a signing, imo. I love the man for what he did in his short stint with the birds, but I hope the Orioles don't give 3 years or anything near 25 million for the guy thats pitched the better half of the last 4 years. These lineups and parks are not fair for most, Joe Saunders is not the sort of arm I hope to see us investing in. He was a perfect find for a short run, he is not someone I think an AL East team can rely on long term. I would much rather see him sign with Toronto, New York, Boston, or Tampa. I have a feeling none of those teams are interested and I have a feeling I know why. Hes the guy you want on the other team for 200 innings.

Joe Saunders doesnt make this team better long term. imo That said, if this happens, I'll get myself a Saunders jersey and, "Go Joe!"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the market set a bit by the Guthrie deal, what sort of deal will we offer Saunders. I can only hope that we are outbid; any investment of 3 years would be a disaster of a signing, imo. I love the man for what he did in his short stint with the birds, but I hope the Orioles don't give 3 years or anything near 25 million for the guy thats pitched the better half of the last 4 years. These lineups and parks are not fair for most, Joe Saunders is not the sort of arm I hope to see us investing in. He was a perfect find for a short run, he is not someone I think an AL East team can rely on long term. I would much rather see him sign with Toronto, New York, Boston, or Tampa. I have a feeling none of those teams are interested and I have a feeling I know why. Hes the guy you want on the other team for 200 innings.

Joe Saunders doesnt make this team better long term. imo That said, if this happens, I'll get myself a Saunders jersey and, "Go Joe!"

Agree...prefer 1 year and an option....2 years at the absolute max

I'd prefer a 1 year deal, but 2/$12-14M wouldn't be the end of the world. Isn't there new TV revenue kicking in in 2014 for all teams? That should boost player salaries over what we're used to.

Guthrie's and Saunders' stats from 2009-2012 are almost identical: Saunders 4.20 ERA, 2.7 BB/9, 5.0 K/9; Guthrie 4.47 ERA, 2.5 BB/9, 5.2 K/9. Guthrie did it mostly with Baltimore and Saunders did it with Arizona and the Angels. I'd say the league correction gives Guthrie the edge, but it's a small one.

I'd like to see Saunders back. Maybe two years with an option? We will probably see Hammel walk after this year as we already have two potential impact right handers (Bundy, Gausman) coming up along with the likes of Arrieta, S Johnson, Tillman, and Gonzo. A veteran innings eater left hander would fit real well in the #5 spot.

The Guthrie deal is just too much though and if he wants that then he can find someone else to offer it.

I don't understand why there is so much disrespect for Saunders around here. The guy has a 78-65 career record, 103 ERA+, throws a good number of innings, and threw well for us last year. He doesn't have a lot of upside but I have little doubt he'd be one of our five best starters, even though we have more than five who "could" be better. I wouldn't pay him 3/$25 mm but won't be upset at all if we sign him.

I don't understand why there is so much disrespect for Saunders around here. The guy has a 78-65 career record, 103 ERA+, throws a good number of innings, and threw well for us last year. He doesn't have a lot of upside but I have little doubt he'd be one of our five best starters, even though we have more than five who "could" be better. I wouldn't pay him 3/$25 mm but won't be upset at all if we sign him.

I don't either. I would have no problem with a 2 year deal. The guy is a solid player and while he doesn't have much upside is only 31. I don't want him to be the guy we depend on to carry this staff but I see no reason why he couldn't be part of it.

Just no respect for Joe Saunders. I want Joe back, he is a perfect back of the rotation, dependable guy who knows how to pitch. No, he is not the TOR pitcher we still need, but he is a great member of our rotation IMO. I still think the Orioles need to re-sign Joe and go hard after Greinke. If that happens, we have the parts to deal for Billy Butler and this would be a slam dunk off season for the O's.

Just no respect for Joe Saunders. I want Joe back, he is a perfect back of the rotation, dependable guy who knows how to pitch. No, he is not the TOR pitcher we still need, but he is a great member of our rotation IMO. I still think the Orioles need to re-sign Joe and go hard after Greinke. If that happens, we have the parts to deal for Billy Butler and this would be a slam dunk off season for the O's.

Sounds good to me!

It boils down to the limited resources argument and how the team should choose to use those resources. It's not unlike the Reynolds argument. I'd prefer to use the money to extend Hammel than lock up Saunders for any more than one year. I can also easily envision us having 5 better starters than Saunders next year ..... for lesser money. Nobody is "disprespecting" Saunders because they have a different interpretation than you (or someone else) does as to his relative value, particularly tying money up on him on a longer term deal.

It boils down to the limited resoruces argument and how the team should choose to use those resources. It's not unlike the Reynolds argument. I'd prefer to use the money to extend Hammel than lock up Saunders for any more than one year. I can also easily envision us having 5 better starters than Saunders next year ..... for lesser money. Nobody is "disprespecting" Saunders because they have a different interpretation than you (or someone else) does as to his relative value, particularly tying money up on him on a longer term deal.

This is not what I am referring to. There are quite a few posters who seem to think that Saunders can't do in the AL East what he did in the AL West and NL West, and that he'll get clobbered in our division. And I just don't think that's the case. The guy is what he is, wherever he pitches - a decent mid- to back-end starter.

Archived