So Buster Olney says the Orioles are looking to re-sign Saunders

MachadOboutManny

Showalter, like most managers, seems to like a "veteran presence" in the rotation. Saunders fit that bill, will likely come fairly cheap on a 2-year deal, and is a younger and arguably better pitcher than Jeremy Guthrie, who signed for 3/25 deal with KC. Plus, barring a trade, there really isn't anyone else out there in the O's price range.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming we DO sign Saunders, what does our rotation look like?

RHP Hammel

LHP Chen

RHP Gonzalez

LHP Saunders

RHP Tillman

We've got Britton, Matusz (I still believe in him as a SP), Johnson (probably not a SP longterm), and Arrieta if you consider him a starter, as other viable candidates.

Bundy and Gausman won't be ready until midway through the season at the earliest.

Assuming you want to trade any pitching depth at all, locking down Saunders to a 1 or 2 year deal is crucial. I'd also like to see the Orioles take a flyer on McCarthy, but we probably won't have an opportunity for him to start out of Spring Training.

It's nice to have a good looking rotation for once.

Saunders has a higher career ERA+ than Edwin Jackson and is only two years older. If Olney reported that the Orioles were closing in on a two year deal with Jackson, most people around here would be pumped. The biggest difference between the two is perception and hype. I'd love to have Saunders back, preferably on a one year deal w/ option, but the Orioles shouldn't shy away from a two year deal either.

I have not seen this anywhere. Do you have a link?

Saunders was a free agent last off season and could not find a multi year contract. His season was no better then in the past. So until I see something from a credible source, I think Joe will end up signing a one year contract.

A decent link could change my mind though.

I read it a few weeks ago. I'll look for the link once I get to my computer. Also, I dont think Saunders was a FA last year. I think it was his 2nd arb year.

On my iPhone right now, but I'm pretty sure he was non-

tendered and became a FA.

You are right. They non-tendered him after he turned down a 2/12 contract. So he was a FA, but he also turned down a multi year extension. Im not sure he will resign right away for anything under 2/14. Especially since Guthrie got 3 years.

and Arrieta if you consider him a starter, as other viable candidates.

Arrieta is not a starting material anymore but he can be workhorse as a member of the 'pen. I like his job in final month as a reliever. Terrible starters or not, Arrieta and Hunter still can be useful and effective player if we use them in right way. I'd like to see what they can offer as a full time relievers. Britton is good as gone, we probably use him in trade.

Last place team. Can't see the Twins being high on Saunders list. Remember how many decent FAs came to the O's while they were in last place?

Yeah I dont think he will go to the Twins. But I do think they will be used to run the price up. Like players used to do to the O's.

Archived