O's Acquire Danny Valencia

Orioles0615

Should I apologize for that? Should I apologize for the fact that when I brought your argument up majority of them laughed? The reason they were brought up is because I was using those people as facts behind what I was saying since you couldn't quite grasp the idea. If you have people who do that for a living rolling their eyes at your ignorant ass scenario, wouldn't that ring a bell that maybe your argument really isn't that good?

The problem with all of this is that their are differing opinions on any message boards. Thats what makes it interesting ....If we all agreed then why bother to have a discussion. I get smart alec remarks from posters that think we should stand pat, spend our money extending our players, and not trade any of our young pitchers. I happen to think thats a terrible approach. That doesnt make me wrong. But certain Know It Alls act like they figured it out. Reminding me things like the Orioles/Angelos will never spend X number of dollars on a player or never give a pitcher more than 3 years. I have been a fan of the O's for a long time. I get it....What they should do and what they will do are 2 different things. I know Angelos hasnt spent on a big free agent since Tejada. I know he used to be a top player back when the O's signed Alomar, Palmeiro, Surhoff, and Belle. Angelos has done nothing to give us any hope that he'd awake from a slumber and do it again. I get it.....I dont need to be called "Thick Headed" or any of the other insults that resulted from a discussion by posters who think their way is the only way. I Love the Orioles .... I hate the Owner and always will for what he has done with the team the last 14 years. I'm glad the team was relevant this past season. They had a lot of things go right to win the way they did. I have grave doubts that they will be able to maintain and I'd be surprised if they arent back below .500 if they only make minor moves. I've advocated for Hamilton at 5 years/$120M,and a trade of a package that included 2 of the cavalry (Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and/or Johnson) for Butler. I would be happy of Saunders was brought back to complete the rotation. I think these moves would greatly improve the team and situate us among the division leaders for quite a few years. That said I understand the likelyhood is low. I still feel I have the right to criticize the organization & ownership for the penny pinching approach without ridicule by someone who disagrees with me.

In closing Thanks for listening!

JohnnyK

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles Hangout is a place where all people get an opportunity to express their feelings. It is not a place where all opinions are created equal. People with well developed arguments and statistical backing tend to get pummeled less than those who don't. We will all refrain from name calling and personal attacks, and if a moderator decides that someone is trolling, it will be dealt with. With extreme prejudice.

It's not just about Velencia. I get it, we're just replacing depth with more depth. Too bad other teams are improving the 25 man roster.

Ah, like the Rays? Red Sox? Yankees? Nationals? Rangers? Cardinals? White Sox? Yeah, those teams are all improving their 25-man rosters so much, journalists are unable to fathom how to draft an article about it!

See what you fail to realize is that I live here in Miami and I attended games at the park. Which I'm sure you maybe saw some SportsCenter highlights. Stanton, who I've said is a very good ball player. If I was building a team I would want him on it. He strikes out too much and he's not very clutch when you need him like a premier player usually is. That's what separates him from premier status to a very good ball player status.

But no I do no think he's a premier talent of an ARod, Griffey or a Jeter. And my entire argument is that you do not trade TOR potential (which has been verified across the board not just by the people I know) of Bundy for a bat that of his caliber. Simple as that. Pretty sure I've been clear on that principle.

It's funny how you take a personal shot at me and have the slightest idea what I do for a living. See it's people like you that make me laugh and I appreciate the comedic relief. There seems to be some professional organizations that do value my opinion.. and some NCAA top 20 baseball institutes that value them as well. So please clean up after yourself and finish World of Warcraft game in Mom's basement. It's been real. You're going on ignore because you're just a {chump}.

Yeah, i'm the chump, yet your the one talking tough on a computer. The fact you ignored my PM, show's just that. By the way, the bolded comment is just as much against board rules, as the DB comment.

Yep, all of us that don't agree with shopping at the dollar tree are trolls. Or is it just anyone that doesn't agree with your thinking? You call me troll, so I guess i'm allowed to say that you come across as a prime example of an internet bully, that can talk tough from behind his computer down in KY?

When will it sink in that there is a difference? Between spending money wisely and throwing at the wind. This is not a case of Dollar Tree shopping but signing some depth. It is something that every team out there does. Granted the O's did not do a lot of it in recent years which explains the traditional late season swoon you always saw from the Orioles. The depth signings like these help us as the season winds down.

Internet Bully? Thank you good sir. I have not laughed this hard in quite a while.

Maybe I am wrong about the use of the word troll. You do keep spouting the same mantra all the time and it does come across as trolling but my wife just reminded me that there is another word that applies to someone who does the same thing over and over but expects a different result. Can you guess what that word is?:rolleyes:

Ah, like the Rays? Red Sox? Yankees? Nationals? Rangers? Cardinals? White Sox? Yeah, those teams are all improving their 25-man rosters so much, journalists are unable to fathom how to draft an article about it!

They came up with a saying actually for the Yankees in a recent article..."Old Guys Rule"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/11/27/new-york-yankees-signing-andy-pettite-ichiro-suzuki-mariano-rivera/1729287/

Yeah, i'm the chump, yet your the one talking tough on a computer. The fact you ignored my PM, show's just that. By the way, the bolded comment is just as much against board rules, as the DB comment.

Can you take it to PMs? Every thread doesn't need to be dragged down with this.

The problem with all of this is that their are differing opinions on any message boards. Thats what makes it interesting ....If we all agreed then why bother to have a discussion. I get smart alec remarks from posters that think we should stand pat, spend our money extending our players, and not trade any of our young pitchers. I happen to think thats a terrible approach. That doesnt make me wrong. But certain Know It Alls act like they figured it out. Reminding me things like the Orioles/Angelos will never spend X number of dollars on a player or never give a pitcher more than 3 years. I have been a fan of the O's for a long time. I get it....What they should do and what they will do are 2 different things. I know Angelos hasnt spent on a big free agent since Tejada. I know he used to be a top player back when the O's signed Alomar, Palmeiro, Surhoff, and Belle. Angelos has done nothing to give us any hope that he'd awake from a slumber and do it again. I get it.....I dont need to be called "Thick Headed" or any of the other insults that resulted from a discussion by posters who think their way is the only way. I Love the Orioles .... I hate the Owner and always will for what he has done with the team the last 14 years. I'm glad the team was relevant this past season. They had a lot of things go right to win the way they did. I have grave doubts that they will be able to maintain and I'd be surprised if they arent back below .500 if they only make minor moves. I've advocated for Hamilton at 5 years/$120M,and a trade of a package that included 2 of the cavalry (Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and/or Johnson) for Butler. I would be happy of Saunders was brought back to complete the rotation. I think these moves would greatly improve the team and situate us among the division leaders for quite a few years. That said I understand the likelyhood is low. I still feel I have the right to criticize the organization & ownership for the penny pinching approach without ridicule by someone who disagrees with me.

In closing Thanks for listening!

JohnnyK

Agree with all of these ideas except the only way Hamilton would get more than 5/100 from me would be through incentives.

I just dont understand why we clutter the 40man with guys that arent very good baseball players.

Upside matters. You get 10 guys with upside and maybe 1 or 2 pan out. You do that for free and you've just ended up with a good player for nothing. The OF we got for Andino is a similar type of move. We acquired talent to replace Andino for free and then used Andino to get Robinson.

I recognize that Robinson and Valencia may never play meaningful innings for the O's. Still, there's always hope that they turn into solid regulars or valuable platoon players, and if one of these guys ever blows up like a Werth or Bautista or McClouth last year, DD is certainly improving the odds that it'll happen with the O's instead of some other team.

These are the types of moves good organizations make. It's not the only type of moves good orgs make, and I think that's where some people get caught up in not understanding the approval here. In a vacuum, it's a nice move and a smart philosophy. That is all.

Dark Helmet, I respectfully request an answer. What 25-man roster moves have the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals, Rangers, Cardinals, and White Sox (all teams for instance chosen at random, I could also say Tigers, Giants) made? Yes, the Red Sox signed Johnny Gomes. Congrats. What helpful moves have all of these teams made to their 25-man rosters?

Dark Helmet, I respectfully request an answer. What 25-man roster moves have the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals, Rangers, Cardinals, and White Sox (all teams for instance chosen at random, I could also say Tigers, Giants) made? Yes, the Red Sox signed Johnny Gomes. Congrats. What helpful moves have all of these teams made to their 25-man rosters?

The teams you named, don't have the holes the Orioles do, besides the Sox and Yankees. But, they have the money to change that pretty quick. The Ray's will be good, on their pitching alone. I'm reallyt not worried about other teams does as much. I get Valencia is a depth move. I'm not that upset with that. I liked the Andino/Robinson trade. I like DD in general, and I feel he does a good job finding depth, through many means. I also feel his hands are somewhat tied financially. I have no issues with DD. I'm hesitant to call out PA again, because that may get everyone up in a bunch, and come across as a troll. I'm not aksing for a Hamilton and Grienke signing. But, must the team always look to cheap options? I'm fine with Reynold's back at 1B, that's my first choice actually. There aren't many better option's out there for 1B, yet the O's seem willing to let him walk over 2M dollars. That be fine, if we had a substantial improvement waiting to take his place. I'm not calling for a $200M payroll. In fact, the only moves i'd make are..

Sign Hamilton to play LF and be our true MOO bat. And I don't mean spend whatever it takes. I'd go as high as 5/125M with and option.

Re-sign Reynolds at 2/18M - I'd give him an option as well.

Re-sign Joe Saunders at 2/16M.

If McLouth is willing, bring him back as 4th OF. If not, we have in-house options for a 4th OF.

I don't think those are unreasonable to want. I'm not pushing for an AS at every position. Just upgrade some obvious needs, with something other then cheap options, that may or may not be an improvement.

Yeah, those moves may take the payroll up to 125M, but MASN is making money. The TV revenue starts in 2014. Some of the bigger salaries will be coming off the books in the next couple years. I understand some of the other guys salary will go up, but I think the O's can support a 120M payroll, and maybe a little more. And Frobby's thread about MASN, indicates that much.

I understand theO's don't have the recources of NY, LA, or Bos. I don't expect that. But, I do expect more then just "project" types.

I also know it's early in the winter. But, I have no reason to believe, that DD will be allowed to commit the recources to any impact players. I have no reason to believe this winter will be anything other then trying to find cheap options to fillout this team. Yeah, we made the playoffs in 2012, and didn't spend. But, that same method also got them 14 straight losing years.

These are just my opinions. I tried to answer the question the best I could. I'll probably get called out on it, but these are my opinions.

Archived