Orioles have interest in Koji (update: Boston signs Koji)

oldbird

Koji will be a great setup man or an insurance against Johnson getting expensive or hurt. Can't go wrong adding at a relative low cost.

What will be the insurance against a 38-year-old Uehara getting hurt?

I'd rather go with Hunter in that spot, and work Pomeranz back into the mix.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that trading Jim Johnson makes a whole lot of sense for the Orioles.

1. He's going to make somewhere around $7M in arbitration. He is arb. eligible again in 2014 and could make $10M+ if he repeats his 2012 performance.

2. His value is probably as high now as ever, especially among GMs that value SAVES, and we have a lot of RHP depth already. O'Day, Ayala, Hunter, Pomeranz just to name a few. You can bring in a guy like Koji for maybe half what Johnson will make to help solidify it.

Packaging Johnson with one of the cavalry and possibly a 3rd piece to try and acquire a middle of the order bat could make a LOT of sense for the organization.

What will be the insurance against a 38-year-old Uehara getting hurt?

I'd rather go with Hunter in that spot, and work Pomeranz back into the mix.

You kind of answered your own question here. Hunter, Pomeranz, etc. would be insurance against Koji getting hurt.

I don't think the O's necessarily need to sign a reliever, but I'd certainly make an exception for Koji. He loves Baltimore and he's really good. If he stays healthy he'll be a valuable member of the bullpen, and if he doesn't stay healthy, the O's have the depth to replace him.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that trading Jim Johnson makes a whole lot of sense for the Orioles.

1. He's going to make somewhere around $7M in arbitration. He is arb. eligible again in 2014 and could make $10M+ if he repeats his 2012 performance.

2. His value is probably as high now as ever, especially among GMs that value SAVES, and we have a lot of RHP depth already. O'Day, Ayala, Hunter, Pomeranz just to name a few. You can bring in a guy like Koji for maybe half what Johnson will make to help solidify it.

Packaging Johnson with one of the cavalry and possibly a 3rd piece to try and acquire a middle of the order bat could make a LOT of sense for the organization.

I'm in the "unpopular crowd" as well. I really like Jim Johnson, and think that he's a great closer. That being said, Fernando Rodney saved 48 games last year after saving 3 and 14 the two years before. If someone is willing to deal for him, I would definitely consider moving him.

It doesn't mean we just trade him. It means we trade him in the right deal.

Roch Kubatko Mod Edouble86 • 37 minutes ago

The Orioles always have left open possibility of bringing back Koji and he's always wanted to come back. Duquette has a long list of names. Yes, Koji is one of many on it. Kicking the tires, at least. What have they got to lose?

Update .....

2. His value is probably as high now as ever, especially among GMs that value SAVES, and we have a lot of RHP depth already.

I wouldn't count on there being any organizations that still see a gaudy save total and overpay for it. I'd be worried that there are a lot more teams who could use a closer but are turned off by his low K rate.

Besides getting a great RP in Koji, he allows us the freedom to move a Strop,or even a JJ in the right package for a MOO bat.

I suspect Strop is the guy to move, if he didn't lose too much value at the end of last year. If so, this move makes a lot of sense. It also further establishes the O's as the place to go for Far East players. Maybe that gives us an in with a guy like Otani?

I wouldn't count on there being any organizations that still see a gaudy save total and overpay for it. I'd be worried that there are a lot more teams who could use a closer but are turned off by his low K rate.

I'm not so sure about this. Broxton's K rates the last 2 years have been down from previously, and not tremendously better than JJ's, especially in view of the advantage JJ has over Broxton in GB ratios. Broxton just signed for 3/$21. Yes, I'd say JJ would garner quite a bit of interest. If not, no problem, keep him, but I think it is worth a few phone calls to see what the possibilities are.

And if that is true, I'd probably hang onto him. But he is probably one of the top chips I'm floating out there to see what bites.

I think I'd rather have Fujikawa.

The same guy that never throws a single pitch in the league? Pass.

I have a question. Can anyone out of Pat Egan, Robert Hinton, Mike Belfiore, Marcel Prado, Lohan Mahon and Chase Johnson to be part-time player next year?

Archived