Who are the five most forgettable Orioles?

mark_beckens

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Eugene Kingsale

- Rocky Cherry

- Eric DuBose

- Sal Fasano

- Geronimo Gil

- Omar Daal

- Ryan Minor

- Calvin Pickering

- Lenny Webster

- Walter Young

- Kurt Ainsworth

Ainsworth was damaged goods to begin with so he never really did anything to remember in the first place. But Chief? Gil had some great moments. Unfortunately, Benitez was so bad he's hard to forget so I can't add him. But I would add Jose Mesa.

Man, there are sooo many.

Here, I've pulled up O's rosters from 1986 to 1990 (I didn't even go back into the 50s and 50s to find the truly forgettable).

See if anyone even remembers what positions these men played:

1986 Tom O'Malley

1987 Dave van Gorder

1988 Wade Rowdon

1989 Francisco Melendez

1990 Dorn Taylor

For my part, I recognize only the name Francisco Melendez as familiar. I would have had no idea why I recognized the name if someone had asked me.

Ainsworth was damaged goods to begin with so he never really did anything to remember in the first place. But Chief? Gil had some great moments. Unfortunately, Benitez was so bad he's hard to forget so I can't add him. But I would add Jose Mesa.

Yeah, Gil is definitely a weird choice, he started over 230 games for the Orioles. He was a perfectly serviceable backup catcher who was the primary catcher for a season due to the pile of suck that was Brook Fordyce. Pickering and Young certainly aren't forgettable if only for their size. I will always remember Kingsale because he was the first Aruban. I will always remember Ryan Minor for the obvious reason and I will always remember Lenny Webster as the last Oriole to wear #42.

The article is about players the Orioles would like to forget, not the ones who are most forgettable. In fact, the ones on the list are players we'll never forget. "Regrettable" is more like it.

On my regrettable list, Sammy Sosa ranks way up there. Also the guy (both regrettable and forgettable, I guess) who we got for Bautista who got busted for PED's and gave an affidavit naming a bunch of other players. (Edit -- Jason Grimsley)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Yeah, basically this, that Westburg's underlying numbers (EV, barrel %, xwOBA) seem to point at this being pretty real, or at least that there's nothing 'undeserved / lucky' about this hot streak, if it's just that. 
    • The problem with a Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers/Bradfield outfield roster is there are no right handers to handle LHP. I don't think and completely left handed outfield is the destination for an organization the values versatility.
    • Looks maybe concussion related. 
    • How can you not be romantic about baseball? This seems slightly poetic. I enjoyed reading, and correlated your experience in the stands back to what I watch in Game 1 on MASN.  It was also pretty cool to hear Jim Palmer give you a shout out in Game 2 of the series on Live TV.
    • I am not worried.  It just doesn’t remotely meet the eye test.  He has been great in the field . I can think of at least 3 outstanding plays he has made and not any that I thought he should have gotten but didn’t. Meanwhile Holliday is 3 OAA and I can’t think of an outstanding play and can think of a number I thought he should have made. 
    • Nicely stated Roy. Every since I was 9 years old and saw the O's vs. the Tokyo Giants in Tokyo in 1971, I've been infected with the Orange/Black virus. There is no cure and I don't want one. You and I sat at the lunch table with Jim Palmer at the 1970 World Series Champs reunion, and its still one of my enduring baseball memories. You said I looked like Carlton Fisk! I was at all 3 games in this Angels series, right behind the O's dugout. I got to see all our boys, and just simply love to watch this team play. And in true baseball fashion, the one game on paper we should have dominated (GRod vs. 8+ ERA Channing), we end up down 7-0 and lose. But watching Gunnar's homers, his electric triple, and he made a fantastic play today on a ball that went under Westburg's glove, Adley do Adley things, Cowser, holy crap. Kimbrel v. Trout with bases loaded, bottom of 9th, 2 outs, down by 2? That was fun. Next game Trout bats leadoff and torches a GRod fastball for a homer to the opposite field.  An observation.... If you didn't know anything about the team, and you only watched game 1 batting practice, you'd think Cowser and O'Hearn were the studs of the team. Mountcastle was taking BP with the reserves and he put on a show as well.  Home after 3 straight days watching this O's team, so jealous of the Balt fans in Balt that get to see the team with regularity. It's a special bunch.
  • Popular Contributors