Who are the five most forgettable Orioles?

mark_beckens

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sam Horn

If I recall, Sam hit 2 homers on Opening Day in his debut with the O's. He also hit some of the longest HR's I've ever seen at Memorial Stadium. I'll never forget a 3-run HR he hit against Detroit - I think the ball is still bouncing around somewhere.

When I did a thread about the 2012 Orioles passing the 1989 Orioles, I looked at the roster of the 1989 team and there were a couple of players who played a lot who I literally don't remember at all. Brian Holton made 39 appearances, including 12 starts, and pitched 116 innings. Mark Thurmond made 49 appearances, including 2 starts, and pitched 90 innings. If you had asked me, before I looked at the roster, whether these two guys ever played for the Orioles, I would have said, "who?" And both actually played two years with the team.

I am more impressed with Tike Redman hitting a grand slam for the Orioles in a game we lost 30-3.

Those were actually Travis Metcalf's at-bats for the Rangers.

That's hilarious. Nice catch.

BTW, Tike Redman is definitely a forgettable Oriole. I didn't remember him until I saw that scoreboard. Maybe I've blocked that out of mind along with everyone who played in that game. ;)

Man, there are sooo many.

Here, I've pulled up O's rosters from 1986 to 1990 (I didn't even go back into the 50s and 50s to find the truly forgettable).

See if anyone even remembers what positions these men played:

1986 Tom O'Malley - corner infielder, mainly 3B

1987 Dave van Gorder - Catcher

1988 Wade Rowdon - 3B

1989 Francisco Melendez - uuugggghh... first base?

1990 Dorn Taylor - Pitcher

For my part, I recognize only the name Francisco Melendez as familiar. I would have had no idea why I recognized the name if someone had asked me.

There's my guesses without looking.

(Now looking on bb-ref... oh yea! I nailed them all! :) )

To me, to be a forgettable Orioles you have to have played or pitched in a decent number of games or innings (let's say at least enough to lose "rookie status") and still have a hard time remembering that a guy played for the Orioles.

Here's my list:

RHP- Mike Morgan 1988 - This guy ended up having a nice career after he left the Orioles. I guess the only reason I now remember him is because we ended up trading him to the Dodgers for Mike Devereaux. Nice trade.

Of - Ron Kittle 1990 - Ok, he only had 64 forgettable PAs with the O's at the end of his career, but I honestly forgot he played with the Orioles.

LHP - Paul Kilgus 1991 - I kind of remember this guy but he was pretty forgettable for the one year he was here.

3B - Mike Pagliarulo 1993 - I totally forgot the former Yankees standout played with the Orioles and actually played well putting up a .929 OPS in 126 PAs.

LHP - Mark Lee 1995 - Must be something about generic left-handed relievers that make me forget about them.

RHP - Keith Shepherd 1996 - I honestly don't remember this guy at all. Not even an inkling.

RHP - Shawn Boskie 1998 - Maybe it was Boskie's hideous ERA that made me forget him.

To me, to be a forgettable Orioles you have to have played or pitched in a decent number of games or innings (let's say at least enough to lose "rookie status") and still have a hard time remembering that a guy played for the Orioles.

Here's my list:

RHP- Mike Morgan 1988 - This guy ended up having a nice career after he left the Orioles. I guess the only reason I now remember him is because we ended up trading him to the Dodgers for Mike Devereaux. Nice trade.

Of - Ron Kittle 1990 - Ok, he only had 64 forgettable PAs with the O's at the end of his career, but I honestly forgot he played with the Orioles.

LHP - Paul Kilgus 1991 - I kind of remember this guy but he was pretty forgettable for the one year he was here.

3B - Mike Pagliarulo 1993 - I totally forgot the former Yankees standout played with the Orioles and actually played well putting up a .929 OPS in 126 PAs.

LHP - Mark Lee 1995 - Must be something about generic left-handed relievers that make me forget about them.

RHP - Keith Shepherd 1996 - I honestly don't remember this guy at all. Not even an inkling.

RHP - Shawn Boskie 1998 - Maybe it was Boskie's hideous ERA that made me forget him.

medium.jpg?1308837056

I couldn't ever forget those glasses! He's a primo candidate for your dorkiest ballplayer thread, no doubt!

I remember Pags because he hit a grand slam off Nolan Ryan in what I think was Ryan's last OPACY start and I was there for that. Barely got out over the RF scoreboard.

I'm not sure there's a more forgettable Oriole than Tim Raines. He was brought in for the sole purpose of playing alongside his son, not that there's anything wrong with that in principle, on the worst Orioles team that I personally have ever had the misfortune of watching (was too young to understand 1988). I mean yeah it was kind of "cool" to see a future Hall of Famer (in my mind at least) in an O's uniform, but the team was so bad, the season was so far lost, and it was so fleeting that I'm amazed I even remember it happening. In fact, had it not been the last few games of Cal's career, I probably wouldn't.

Archived