Who are the five most forgettable Orioles?

mark_beckens

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about EVERY #1 PICK from about 1984 to 2004 not named Brian Roberts or Nick Markakis (or was he 2005?)....

Markakis was actually drafted in 2003. Brandon Snyder was the O's first round pick in 2005.

I will ad one that I would most like to forget was an Oriole-Sammy Sosa! Dishonorable mention to Rafael Palmeiro(the second time around).

Russ Ortiz: The final sign to me that Leo Mazzone was a drowning man grabbing at straws and a lost past.

Jeff Robinson: We should have gotten so much more for Mickey Fruit Loops Tettleton.

Roger Freed: After a MVP season at AAA Rochester (24 HR/130 RBI .334/.427/.561) I thought he was going to be the Orioles next new slugger.

Mickey McGuire: His minor league stats were so good I thought he was going to be at least a fine utility IF.

Carl Warwick: Loved his swing on the baseball card, he'd had some good seasons in the NL--and went 0 for 14 as an O in '65.

Ed Barnowski: Always got his future star baseball card and he'd had three great seasons in a row climbing from Stockton to Elmira to Rochester--and then pitched only 7.1 innings in the majors, must have been an injury.

Bob Saverine: Among all the Oriole baseball cards I had back in the 1960s, Saverine's face looked the greasiest. We traded him for Don Larsen.

Jason Grimsley

In some ways that may have been a worse trade than Glenn Davis. Davis is hard to top, seeing as how they traded a HOFer, a near-HOFer, and another solid regular for almost nothing.

But the Grimsley deal was a God-awful combination of things: A trade of a top-ranked prospect for a middling 35-year-old reliever, on a team desperate for young talent. A knee-jerk trade pretty clearly directed by a meddling, know-nothing owner. For a guy right in the middle of the PED maelstrom, very willing to throw his new teammates under the bus and make the organization look like one of the real heavies in the scandal. Just an awful combination I would love to forget.

Jeff Robinson: We should have gotten so much more for Mickey Fruit Loops Tettleton.

As much as I liked Roland Hemond for his work with the '89 team, the Robinson-for-Tettleton deal showed a stunning lack of understanding of value. He felt he had to dump Tettleton because he was a low-average hitter who struck out a lot, ignoring or completely missing the fact he had plus power and plate discipline at a premium defensive position that more than overcame those weaknesses.

Robinson, 28, was coming off two years where he had a 76 ERA+ and a negative K:BB ratio. Terrible pitcher.

Glenn Davis, Albert Belle, and Armando Benitez are the obvious choices.

A few others that haven't been named so far:

Jose (JJ) Bautista (I remember him giving up some monster home runs)

Billy Ripken (most notable only for the F---Face baseball card)

Ben McDonald (only one >.500 season for a top prospect)

Jeffrey Hammonds (another elite prospect who never really did anything)

that's not what forgettable means at all

Not if you ask Webster. The most forgettable Orioles would be those you wish you could forget. Not those who you forgot ever played for them.

Most eveyone old enough to remember the Glenn Davis trade, will never ever forget him. But we wish we could forget that trade.

Archived