Roch on Hamilton, Reynolds update, pitching depth

Annie

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/11/duquette-talks-about-pitching-depth.html

Duquette said he's heard that the Brewers and Pirates are two teams with possible interest in Mark Reynolds if the first baseman hits the free-agent market, which is the expected outcome.

"The $9 million (in arbitration) is probably a little too expensive for what you get out of him," Duquette said. "I don't think the Orioles would be excluded from negotiating a deal beyond the tender date.

At this point, I expect Reynolds to hit free agency. Interesting to see if we resign him or if he bats against us next season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/11/duquette-talks-about-pitching-depth.html

At this point, I expect Reynolds to hit free agency. Interesting to see if we resign him or if he bats against us next season.

Duquette said he's heard that the Brewers and Pirates are two teams with possible interest in Mark Reynolds if the first baseman hits the free-agent market, which is the expected outcome

Yup they are going to let him hit free agency.... if he goes.. my money would be on a NL team signing him

I will be annoyed if Reynolds leaves, and no new hitters are added. If we aren't going to get Reynolds, then at least give Victorino or Pagan a 2 year deal to play LF and hit leadoff.

Also, if Duquette really doesn't think Reynolds works for next year, then why not trade him and get a low-level prospect?

If I'm Reynolds. If I hit free agency, I'm asking for the O's best offer (Which they probably already did trying to hammer something out prior to Arbitration). If that offer is in the same ball park as other teams mentioned. I'm signing with the Orioles for 2 reasons.

1. He knows Showalter will play him and give him AB's.

2. Out of the teams mentioned, the O's have the best shot at reaching a division championship or World Series.

The money is always good, but when you're in the prime of your career, that's why you put the uniform on everyday.

If Reynolds leaves, that's $8 mil in salary space that could be used on another player. I like Reynolds and wouldn't mind having him back. But, he eats up a decent chunk of money and is very inconsistent. He really only had one good month at the plate last season. Certainly, if he doesn't sign by tomorrow, the month of December should be very interesting (as though it weren't already).

I don't like trading the young pitching to replace him. Its not like the O's rotation is solid. Any of them can get injured or have a down year. The O's started last year with Matusz, Hunter and Arrieta in the rotation last year and we know how that turned out.

I am not against trading pitching when there is a surplus ready to pitch in the majors. However, from what I have heard Bundy and Gausman are not ready yet. They will progress on their own time frame. I don't like the risk of rushing them to fill holes that don't need to be made. I'd wait until mid season or next off season to trade pitching if that what needs to happen.

i am also not sure of Hammel status. Knee? Durability? Contract status? Will Arrieta ever find control? How is Britton shoulder? Is Steve Johnson stuff good enough to hold down a rotation spot. Is Matusz a starter or reliever? Some of these questions will be answered positively. Others will not. Which ones? No one knows.

I'll be annoyed if Reynolds leaves, too. Loved what he did at first base last year.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...he'll go elsewhere, hit 35+ bombs and this board will be whining about how we don't have another power bat.

I agree with this. First time in years that we've had a solid first baseman, and we're gonna let him walk for nothing over 1.5 million bucks. Assanine decision!

Archived