21-30 prospects along with Players to watch

Tony-OH

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony, I read on the orioles-nation site that mychal givens is a pitcher now. They said he was at sarasota working as a pitcher in november (i don't know if he is still there or not). I knew when we drafted him in 2009 that his fastball ran up to 98 and sat in the mid 90s and that he had a power curve. I'm wondering what you think of him as a pitcher, and if you think he has a chance to climb his way to the bullpen in the next year or so. I appreciate your help.

Tony, I read on the orioles-nation site that mychal givens is a pitcher now. They said he was at sarasota working as a pitcher in november (i don't know if he is still there or not). I knew when we drafted him in 2009 that his fastball ran up to 98 and sat in the mid 90s and that he had a power curve. I'm wondering what you think of him as a pitcher, and if you think he has a chance to climb his way to the bullpen in the next year or so. I appreciate your help.

It's a good move because he was not a prospect as a hitter. This is one of those situations where you just give it a shot and see how it looks. I really need to see him or hear some reports before having too much of an opinion in him as a pitcher, but I'll look forward to those first reports next spring.

doubtful, close to impossible. he hasn't pitched in over three years, even if he shows well he'll probably be on the Clay Schrader track and we might see him in Frederick by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a good move because he was not a prospect as a hitter. This is one of those situations where you just give it a shot and see how it looks. I really need to see him or hear some reports before having too much of an opinion in him as a pitcher, but I'll look forward to those first reports next spring.

You were right about him all along. I hope it works out like Strop.

You were right about him all along. I hope it works out like Strop.

Well, not really. I really liked what I saw from him after his Aberdeen stint and thought his swing played well. I knew another scout that disagreed with me and felt I was overrating Givens a bit. He was right, I was wrong. I did see him the next year in Delmarva and his swing and set up drastically changed and I haven't liked him since then, but I was initially wrong. His defense was never going to be good enough at shortstop, even with the big arm though.

Well, not really. I really liked what I saw from him after his Aberdeen stint and thought his swing played well. I knew another scout that disagreed with me and felt I was overrating Givens a bit. He was right, I was wrong. I did see him the next year in Delmarva and his swing and set up drastically changed and I haven't liked him since then, but I was initially wrong. His defense was never going to be good enough at shortstop, even with the big arm though.

I forgot about your initial praise.

~d and I met his Mom during his initial visit to OPACY and I of course bought into to the idea that he would he a good one. I though his batting practice was awesome. That's why no one want me to scout ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Perth Heat ‏@PerthHeat

WEBB MASHES A TATER TO RIGHT! That's his 5th RBI of the night folks. Leading 10-5 now #Carnage

Retweeted by Frederick Keys

I just checked Webb out for the first time. Is it extremely unusual for a 30th round draft pick who showed no promise in his first 3 years in the minors to put together a year like Webb did in 2012? Because the odds seem pretty low.

He literally improved on every single statistical category by a wide margin. Including baserunning and fielding.

Archived