Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD's not talking to a guy that has been a big part of our team for the last 2 years is strange ... unless DD has no interest in talking to him. In any case it is bad form to not have some discussion by this point, even if it is to say 'thanks but we're moving on'.

If they let Mark leave, they'd better be slotting Davis in at 1st. If not, they've just created another hole. They can't replace Mark's production in the free agent market for any less money. They can't trade for it without giving up some decent talent that (IMO) could be better used in other ways. Maybe they'll be able to upgrade in terms of age/potential. We'll see. That would be fine with me but there's no guarantee that we'll find an organization on the other end who's willing to meet our demands at our price.

If they do slot Davis in at 1st, then it puts more emphasis on finding at least a McClouth-like outfielder. Even if you assume Nolan starts, there's no way you can count on any of Reimold, Jones, or Markakis for a full season at this point. At least DH would be set, albeit with a platoon. Betemit (vs righties) and Valencia (vs lefties) should put up some serious numbers.

I have no problem with letting Reynolds go. I do have a problem with opening up another hole when we have the plug in our hands.

I am against not signing Reynolds to a 2/16 type deal, but I won't get too worked up until I see what Double D's plan is here. If we end up trading for a good first baseman, then the loss of Reynolds will be minimal. If the plan is to stick Davis over there, then I will start my rant. But for now...:new_beer:

I think this is what is happening. If Buck really wanted him back Reynolds would be back. I think Buck wanted to play Davis at first base all year but Reynolds and his yips forced his move to first base.

I think so to, the second sentence anyway. People also are forgetting that the payroll is going to be bumped considerably by the many people eligible for arbitration who will get raises before seeing the arbitrator.

If Reynolds goes, the Orioles will

1) find a new 1B from outside the org

2) move Davis to 1B and sign a DH, likely the second half of a platoon somewhere or

3) move Reimold to 1B and sign a LF.

or d) Move Davis to first, Reimold to left, and Betemit to full time switch hitting DH.

Now pardon me while I go :puke:

Guest rochester
Not re-signing Reynolds can be debated.

What can't be debated is that it is a really poor practice to (1) not at least touch base with a player's agent and let him know what is going on, and maybe discuss what it would take to retain the player, and (2) mislead your fan base into thinking you are having conversations with a player about a new contract, when you aren't.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/11/orioles-exploring-new-contract-for-reynolds-before-arbitration-deadline.html

I suppose there is a way to interpret this as meaning that the O's were "exploring" a new contract with Reynolds by having internal discussions about it, but to me, this statement clearly told the fans that the O's and Reynolds were going to have discussions. I can take a certain amount of B.S. from a GM, but to me, Duquette crossed the line here.

I'm not happy at all about this.

I dunno Frobby - IMO a bit of overreaction here.. I think DD's comments are pretty clear. As an attorney you also know that his agent may not allow communication directly. What did the agent do when comments have been made pretty consistently?

DD has been pretty consistent with this situation:

"Obviously, Reynolds had a decent year and he's been a contributor to the team for (two) years now," said executive vice president Dan Duquette. "We've got to take a look at that. We turned down the option. We liked the player. We didn't like the price of the option. So we'll see if we can do something between now and when we have to make a decision on that.

If I am his agent I would be on the phone immediately - maybe he/she was? Maybe DD didn't call back? Too many scenarios. IMO, when I read this it sent a message saying that a serious compromise would have to be made, balls in your court. I believe Mark is frustrated thus, it is to a certain extent the grain of salt thing.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but sometimes I have gut feelings about players that I think are one day destined to be Orioles. Wigginton was one of them.

Chris Getz is one of them, but he isn't yet... I just have a feeling.

Anyway... my spidey senses are telling me we're all in on James Loney.

Archived