How would you like to be the Yankee GM right now?

Redskins Rick

The only reason they "want under" is because Hal and Hank don't care, they're business guys. But they might be selling the team eventually.

As multi-year offenders, the Yankees will pay a tax of 42.5% of their excess over the cap in 2012, and it will be 50% in 2013. So, if they sign a guy like Hamilton for $20 mm/yr, it's really costing them $30 mm/yr if they are over the cap. That's a lot of dough.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see them wanting Hamilton. Unless he can play RF. They have Grandy and Gardner.

Anyway....the Yanks will sign some guy like an Ibanez or Nix. Somebody most of us would find useless but it will end up working.

They're getting Pineda back, thats um...huge?

Cervelli may not be a good hitter but it's not like posada was something special to behold either. If he can manage his pitching staff and play any defense they will roll with it. It's so early to worry. Theres always some known old vet floating around at positions that get gobbled up on the cheap. It's december. Lets re-visit this issue in April.

A-Rod going to miss most of the up coming season, with hip surgery, and oh yeah, the beat writers are claiming, you kept them in the dark.

Jeter is coming off an injury, and might not be ready by opening day.

Martin is gone, need to find a catcher or two.

Your star closer was hurt and rehabbing his injury.

The bullpen has holes and needs shoring up.

And even with the loss of Arod they can't increase payroll mandated by ownership.

And yet they still probably have another $50 million to work with. They aren't in too bad of shape.

That's the worst part of it for the Yankees. There is no "risk/reward" factor. It's all reward. They are a bottomless pit of money, and they can throw money all over the place, and they don't have to worry about being hamstrung if they have expensive busts (like most teams do.)

Next year, Jeter and Rodriguez alone will be pulling in $45 Million. Rodriguez will miss at least half the season (he'll be back in June at the earliest, and it's not likely that he will play every single game even if he does come back in June, so that's about half the season right there.) Jeter will be 39 in June, and he is coming off of a broken ankle that needed surgery.

Cervelli may not be a good hitter but it's not like posada was something special to behold either.

What?? are we talking about the same Posada? the guy with a 848 career OPS, hit over 270 and averaged 24hrs a year wasnt special? All of that coming from your catcher? Yeah we have to be talking about a different Posada.

Well, they still have Teixeira, Cano, Granderson, Gardner, Sabathia, Pettitte, Kuroda and assorted others to fall back on. They certainly have more question marks than usual.

Do you not think that Pettite and Kuroda are big risks to plummet b/c of their age?

I'd like to be the Yankees GM at any time. Even with their issues, it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to construct a competitive roster with the aid of deep (bottomless) pockets.

A couple of years ago, an Oriole fan said, "Give me $200 Million, and I'll put a winning team on the field every year. Give me the budget to work with that MacPhail has, and they'll hang me outside of OPACY."

Archived