Winter Meetings: Day 2

ChaosLex

Seems like a bunch of GM's always use a line like "a lot of groundwork was laid," when they describe Day 1 of the Winter Meetings. With several notable FA's left on the board, not to mention a whole slew of "intriguing" players on the trade block, it should be a fun day. Provided none of the players we're looking at get signed or traded to out of our rivals. :P

What do you expect to happen today? Perhaps a Greinke and/or Hamilton signing somewhere?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To use a golf expression today is moving day at the winter meetings. My guess is greinke gets done today and a big trade is announced. Hopefully involving the Orioles. I think Hamilton takes a while to get done due to everyone trying to get him at a discount because of his off the field issues.

From Britt

so people have more interest in the team, which will allow us to be a little bit more aggressive as we put our team together -- be a little bit more aggressive in terms of the amount of money that we can put toward our Major League payroll."

So 20% increase & payroll revenues = A Bit?

More tidbits

The club did not meet with the agents of Nate McLouth or Joe Saunders, two free agents they want to bring back, and they've had some discussions about adding a reliever --touching base with both left-handers and right-handers -- although that's clearly secondary to adding a bat.

Still more

have inquired about Kansas City's Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer along with Minnesota's Josh Willingham, but aren't in the race for premier free agent Josh Hamilton. Despite a report to the contrary, they don't have interest in free agent Adam LaRoche and aren't particularly high on Nick Swisher, either.

Well, I'm no longer convinced that the Orioles will pull off a trade here at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center. Executive vice president Dan Duquette is committed to finding a hitter for the middle of his lineup, and he's got pitching to offer in return. However, he can't promise that the timing of a deal will coincide with his stay in Nashville. It could be shortly after he returns to Baltimore.

It's going to happen. The question is "when," not "if." Patience is required - or at least recommended.

Duquette noted again last night that he's got a surplus of starters. He also mentioned a surplus of relievers, giving him more options when negotiating with rival executives.

Duquette said pitching isn't an "immediate need," but he continues to seek it from other clubs. It's not a priority - again, he wants a bat first - but he's searching for a veteran starter and insists that the bullpen has room for another reliever.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/12/day-2-whats-going-on-with-the-bullpen.html

have inquired about Kansas City's Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer along with Minnesota's Josh Willingham, but aren't in the race for premier free agent Josh Hamilton. Despite a report to the contrary, they don't have interest in free agent Adam LaRoche and aren't particularly high on Nick Swisher, either.

I think they have very little interest in Swisher. LaRoche only if he signs for two years and then he probably goes back to the Nats. The three names plus Smoak are the ones I think have a chance to come to Baltimore. Along with a few other lesser players.

I think they have very little interest in Swisher. LaRoche only if he signs for two years and then he probably goes back to the Nats. The three names plus Smoak are the ones I think have a chance to come to Baltimore. Along with a few other lesser players.

Smoak has been a stinker so far and thats hardly a upgrade. I would be surprised if KC will really deal Hosmer (Cheap & under control) .... Im guessing they'd want to deal Butler ($8 Mill) or Gordon ($9 Million) to clear payroll. Josh Willingham is likely also ...But I'd hate to see that as the one DD gets done. Butler or Gordon would cost more for sure ...But they are younger and more likely to be productive longer.

Archived