Winter Meetings: Day 2

ChaosLex

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't give Haren 13M guarenteed, maybe 10 with incentives. He's 32 and has a ton of innings on his arm also, he had a recurring injury last year and decreased velocity. Its not terrible because its a one year deal, but it could very easily be wasted money.

Also glad we did not land Haren. I was criticized for criticizing this FA crop of SPs, but I dont think any will be worth what they're getting in this market. I hope we stay clear of them all and that includes bringing back Saunders. I dont want us to lock ourselves into any of these guys just because thats who is there this year. Make a trade or work with what we've got.

What deals would make us substantially better without ridiculously overpaying? Dan Haren just had the worst year of his career with back injuries and decreased velocity and he got 13M guarenteed. Victorino had the worst year of his career at 32 and got a 3yr/39M deal. The market has mostly been set. Loshe will get 15M per year for 3 years, Greinke will probably get 18-21M over the next 4-5 years so we're not going to be signing a TOR starter and we'll be "dumpster diving" to patch the holes in our rotation. Our biggest offensive needs are second and left field, but theres no second baseman worth signing this year, and anybody who is definitely going to help us in the outfield is also going to be ridiculously overpaid: Hamilton, Bourn, Ross, and Swisher. It makes an extreme amount more sense to make smart trades and maybe pick up Butler or Hosmer, or maybe just resigning Reynolds and McLouth and keeping most of our already thin starting pitching.

Agreed.

Archived