Offseason moves - Is McLouth the biggest one?

Guest hutch

Guys, because a MOO bat is just so much more sexier than a platoon made up of Betemit and Orange Juice.

Reading that made me think of something. From 1986 through 2000, the World Series champion did not have a single player on the team that hit 35 or more home runs for them. 14 consecutive seasons (minus the 1994 season) ...... about half of them during the steroid using/juiced balls offensive inflation days, and not one world championship team fielded a player with 35 or more round-trippers.

In 1985, Steve Balboni hit 36 home runs for the World Champion Royals. In 2001, Luis Gonzalez hit 57 home runs for the World Champion DiamondBacks. Not a single one in between.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading that made me think of something. From 1986 through 2000, the World Series champion did not have a single player on the team that hit 35 or more home runs for them. 15 consecutive seasons ...... about half of them during the steroid using/juiced balls offensive inflation days, and not one world championship team fielded a player with 35 or more round-trippers.

In 1985, Steve Balboni hit 36 home runs for the World Champion Royals. In 2001, Luis Gonzalez hit 57 home runs for the World Champion DiamondBacks. Not a single one in between.

Those titles don't count. Not enough BOMBS.

Realistically, do people think that this is it for us? Just bringing in McLouth and some guys on minor league deals? Or is something big coming down the pipe?

If McLouth is the marquee signing, and the O's only spend 2 million at winter meetings, then the financial situation may be worse than previously thought....

Let's wait and see. I don't believe Nate is the only deal that

will be made. The offseason is far from over.

No, it is not the end of the world. I am anxious to hear what moves the Orioles make this off season that you enjoy.

Yes but he wont be happy unless a big star like Hamilton is

the one. 100 million for one player is not where the O's are.

I guess I just get frustrated reading posts like this.

Good, I would hope so considering I don't work for MLB.

As someone that has watched MLB for over 30 seasons, I'd say we need a MOO bat sooner before later.

Again, why this is so controversial, I'll never understand?

MSK

Maybe because of the cost. Would you want to give up

Bundy for a MOO for say Hamilton? Would we as fans

want a top flight hitter? Sure, but DD has to be careful and

not give up too much. IMO

Maybe because of the cost. Would you want to give up

Bundy for a MOO for say Hamilton? Would we as fans

want a top flight hitter? Sure, but DD has to be careful and

not give up too much. IMO

All good points if I had said that we should mortgage our farm system for a high-priced FA - which wouldn't make sense unless he signed back with his team and then we traded for him. That just doesn't make sense, why would we give up anything other than money and picks to sign a guy like Hamilton?

I've never suggested that. Not once.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks because people are suggesting there's some secret trade for a big bat on the horizon. I just can't see what it's going to be because DD is holding onto our pitching and Buck said they are going to continue to explore internal options.

I just don't know if 2013 will play out the same way.

MSK

I didn't want to start a whole new thread but was curious what you guys thought about signing Ludwick for dh. Mlb channel has mentioned him as a possible fit for us.

Meh. I'm pretty satisfied with our options at DH. What we really need is a proven SP like Saunders or Edwin Jackson to round out the rotation and protect against possible regression there.

Meh. I'm pretty satisfied with our options at DH. What we really need is a proven SP like Saunders or Edwin Jackson to round out the rotation and protect against possible regression there.

I like both of them and I also hope we look at Brandon McCarthy as a possible 5th starter. If we don't sign Reynolds back I hope we take another look at Justin Smoak for a package like Arrieta and Avery.

I like both of them and I also hope we look at Brandon McCarthy as a possible 5th starter. If we don't sign Reynolds back I hope we take another look at Justin Smoak for a package like Arrieta and Avery.

McCarthy would be another guy I'd look at- Shaun Marcum too. Maybe, as was suggested in another thread, try to trade for Chris Capuano.

Smoak, I'm not terribly interested in, especially for a guy like Arrieta that still has TOR potential- he's shown no signs of progress and would eat into Davis' ABs too much for my liking.

Archived