Players I Could Not Root For If They Were An Oriole

warrior21

With all this speculation (misguided and off-base as it may be) about the Orioles considering Swisher, Youkilis, or others, it got me thinking. I absolutely, positively could not fathom wanting to see them play in an Orioles' uniform. So with that in mind, I started making a list of all the players I can't stand watching. I then thought about making a 25-man roster of all the players I can't stand watching. I then thought about an AL and NL roster, and so I present to you my AL and NL All-Annoying Teams. One player for each position, plus a legitimately comprised bench (IF, 4th OF, UTIL, Backup C), a starting rotation and bullpen. Call me a cynic. I don't care. And I don't care if they would help us win. I still can't stand them.

Most of these players I just can't stand because of the teams they've played for, the way they play, or their attitudes. Others just slightly annoy me, but I needed to fill out the roster. League was determined by their 2012 team or if they have changed leagues so far this winter, they are listed on the new league's roster.

Who could you not root for if they were an Oriole?

AL

C AJ Pierzynski

1B Mark Teixeira

2B Dustin Pedroia

SS Derek Jeter

3B Kevin Youkilis

LF Rajai Davis

CF Coco Crisp

RF Jose Bautista

DH David Ortiz

Bench

Nick Swisher

Jonny Gomes

Mike Aviles

John Buck

P CC Sabathia

P Ryan Dempster

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Ricky Romero

RP Joba Chamberlain

RP Kevin Gregg

RP Bobby Jenks

RP Vicente Padilla

RP Alfredo Aceves

RP Jose Valverde

RP Fernando Rodney

NL

C Yadier Molina

1B Adam LaRoche

2B Danny Espinosa

SS Jimmy Rollins

3B Hanley Ramirez

LF Bryce Harper

CF Nyjer Morgan

RF Hunter Pence

DH Soriano Alfonso

Bench

Michael Morse

Placido Polanco

Jayson Werth

Russell Martin

P Josh Beckett

P Yovanni Gallardo

P AJ Burnett

P Cole Hamels

P Carlos Zambrano

RP John Axford

RP Tyler Clippard

RP Todd Coffey

RP Brian Fuentes

RP Jon Rauch

RP Drew Storen

RP Jonathan Papelbon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody in the MLB. It would take something seriously messed up to make me hate an Oriole.

I dislike some guys. Swisher, Ortiz, Teixeira, ARod, and Pedroia to name a few. But I'd root for all of them if they became Orioles.

If we signed Swisher tomorrow, and he hit a HR in his first AB as an Oriole, you'd boo him? I doubt it.

I'm calling BS on some of those...

It's like a conversation I just had with a friend of mine, who unfortuantely is a Yankees fan.

He was talking about how bad he HATED Verlander... then once I asked how he would REALLY feel with Verlander joining CC at the top of the Yankees rotation, his stance changed a little.

And I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but I would LOVE to have Nick Swisher on the Orioles. I just love the way he plays the game and appears to be a great guy in the clubhouse. I honestly don't understand the 'hate' on him...

With all this speculation (misguided and off-base as it may be) about the Orioles considering Swisher, Youkilis, or others, it got me thinking. I absolutely, positively could not fathom wanting to see them play in an Orioles' uniform. So with that in mind, I started making a list of all the players I can't stand watching. I then thought about making a 25-man roster of all the players I can't stand watching. I then thought about an AL and NL roster, and so I present to you my AL and NL All-Annoying Teams. One player for each position, plus a legitimately comprised bench (IF, 4th OF, UTIL, Backup C), a starting rotation and bullpen. Call me a cynic. I don't care. And I don't care if they would help us win. I still can't stand them.

Most of these players I just can't stand because of the teams they've played for, the way they play, or their attitudes. Others just slightly annoy me, but I needed to fill out the roster. League was determined by their 2012 team or if they have changed leagues so far this winter, they are listed on the new league's roster.

AL

C AJ Pierzynski

1B Mark Teixeira

2B Dustin Pedroia

SS Derek Jeter

3B Kevin Youkilis

LF Rajai Davis

CF Coco Crisp

RF Jose Bautista

DH David Ortiz

Bench

Nick Swisher

Jonny Gomes

Mike Aviles

John Buck

P CC Sabathia

P Ryan Dempster

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Ricky Romero

RP Joba Chamberlain

RP Kevin Gregg

RP Bobby Jenks

RP Vicente Padilla

RP Alfredo Aceves

RP Jose Valverde

RP Fernando Rodney

NL

C Yadier Molina

1B Adam LaRoche

2B Danny Espinosa

SS Jimmy Rollins

3B Hanley Ramirez

LF Bryce Harper

CF Nyjer Morgan

RF Hunter Pence

DH Soriano Alfonso

Bench

Michael Morse

Placido Polanco

Jayson Werth

Russell Martin

P Josh Beckett

P Yovanni Gallardo

P AJ Burnett

P Cole Hamels

P Carlos Zambrano

RP John Axford

RP Tyler Clippard

RP Todd Coffey

RP Brian Fuentes

RP Jon Rauch

RP Drew Storen

RP Jonathan Papelbon

<chuckle> That's quite a list! It seems like that would take up quite an amount of time and energy to build up a strong enough dislike. The team is stronger than the player for me. I was never crazy about Reggie Jackson but when he became an Oriole he was an Oriole. If Reggie was at bat I was rooting for the Orioles to succeed. It works pretty good that way and is less work. :)

AL

C AJ Pierzynski

1B Mark Teixeira

2B Dustin Pedroia

SS Derek Jeter

3B Kevin Youkilis

LF Rajai Davis

CF Coco Crisp

RF Jose Bautista

DH David Ortiz

Bench

Nick Swisher

Jonny Gomes

Mike Aviles

John Buck

P CC Sabathia

P Ryan Dempster

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Ricky Romero

RP Joba Chamberlain

RP Kevin Gregg

RP Bobby Jenks

RP Vicente Padilla

RP Alfredo Aceves

RP Jose Valverde

RP Fernando Rodney

NL

C Yadier Molina

1B Adam LaRoche

2B Danny Espinosa

SS Jimmy Rollins

3B Hanley Ramirez

LF Bryce Harper

CF Nyjer Morgan

RF Hunter Pence

DH Soriano Alfonso

Bench

Michael Morse

Placido Polanco

Jayson Werth

Russell Martin

P Josh BeckettE

P Yovanni Gallardo

P AJ Burnett

P Cole Hamels

P Carlos Zambrano

RP John Axford

RP Tyler Clippard

RP Todd Coffey

RP Brian Fuentes

RP Jon Rauch

RP Drew Storen

RP Jonathan Papelbon

sorry but I believe you being very short sighted due to your

dislike for these players. I can or would cheer for any player on

the O's. If Jeter was on the O's and they won the WS I

would cheer his ass off.

I'm calling BS on some of those...

It's like a conversation I just had with a friend of mine, who unfortuantely is a Yankees fan.

He was talking about how bad he HATED Verlander... then once I asked how he would REALLY feel with Verlander joining CC at the top of the Yankees rotation, his stance changed a little.

And I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but I would LOVE to have Nick Swisher on the Orioles. I just love the way he plays the game and appears to be a great guy in the clubhouse. I honestly don't understand the 'hate' on him...

He's an arrogant d-bag. Still...I wouldn't mind having his numbers.

If we signed Swisher tomorrow, and he hit a HR in his first AB as an Oriole, you'd boo him? I doubt it.

My feelings towards these guys are the same I had/have towards Kevin Gregg and Garrett Atkins. I kind of enjoyed when they sucked so bad because I knew it would get them off the team. Of course I want the Orioles to win and I want any player to contribute. But if a guy Swisher were to suck, I would enjoy booing him that much more.

If he were to come and do great, I'd be happy for the team, but I still would loathe every second of watching him (not the Orioles, just him) play the game. Just like when I watched Gregg pitch...I didn't want to see him blow it, but I sure wasn't rooting for the guy.

My feelings towards these guys are the same I had/have towards Kevin Gregg and Garrett Atkins. I kind of enjoyed when they sucked so bad because I knew it would get them off the team. Of course I want the Orioles to win and I want any player to contribute. But if a guy Swisher were to suck, I would enjoy booing him that much more.

If he were to come and do great, I'd be happy for the team, but I still would loathe every second of watching him (not the Orioles, just him) play the game. Just like when I watched Gregg pitch...I didn't want to see him blow it, but I sure wasn't rooting for the guy.

Yeah...the difference is that Gregg sucked. Nobody enjoyed watching him pitch.

Maybe you should see someone about all this anger.

Yeah I'm with the OP on not wanting Swisher or Youkilis on this team. Ever. Don't want 'em, don't need 'em. There are probably a few others out there that I'd feel that way about. Not the kind of extensive list the OP has but, I'm sure there are others.

I'm not sure if I would boo them, but I most certainly would not cheer for them.

And before any one else puts words in my mouth, I never once said "hate." So please take that out of the conversation. I don't hate anyone, and I'm sure that many of the guys listed are good teammates and of course many of them are very good players. It is just that for some reason or another, they get under my skin when I watch them. That's all. This post was meant to be more humorous and a conversation starter than anything. But definitely no hate from me.

Also, my listing of Nats players comes from the fact the I dislike elements of the franchise as a whole, especially the announcers and Rizzo. But then again, I really like watching Ryan Zimmerman play and I root for Strasburg.

So like I said, I can't pinpoint all the reasons for each player making the list, and I don't know why some of them rub me the wrong way. But just have fun with it, we all have players we don't like!

Archived