Mark Reynolds signs with Cleveland

ChaosLex

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand he didn't do that last year. Based on his career stats he is highly likely to reach that this year. Again, just my opinion.

Maybe he will do that again but highly likely? Can't say I agree with that and offensively Davis will outperform Reynolds at 1/10 the price. Only question mark is will he be equal defensively. Only time will tell but now it is clear they are probably going to pursue a more pure DH type.

I know the offseason is still relatively young, but I don't see how losing good players and not replacing them with anyone decent is a winning strategy. Unless Duquette has something planned that we don't know about, I don't see how we can even come close to replicating last season. You'd think the extra revenue we made from making it to the playoffs and now not clearly being in rebuilding mode anymore would be enough to make Angelos open up the wallet a little. I really believe last year's success was a result of all our players pulling in the same direction, a perfect storm if you will. I wouldn't just rest on my laurels and bring back the same crew as last year if I was Duquette.

I am waiting to see what Duquette does. It's pretty well known that he wants another bat. I'm postponing any judgment until the offseason is over. If it's Davis at 1B and Betemit/Valencia at DH, I'll cross my fingers, but that sounds like a big risk.

Brittany Ghiroli has been reporting all off season that the O's would not raise the payroll. It is now at about 87.3m. I have to think she is pretty close on her prediction.

I hope she is not right on her next prediction now on Orioles.com. She is saying that Bundy and Gausman will both be in majors by July. Though that may or may not be a good thing, it is certainly not a good thing to be planning for that to happen. Young pitchers progress on their own schedule and it can be quite unpredictable. Orioles fans know that from watch Matusz, Arrieta, Britton and Tillman.

I know the offseason is still relatively young, but I don't see how losing good players and not replacing them with anyone decent is a winning strategy. Unless Duquette has something planned that we don't know about, I don't see how we can even come close to replicating last season. You'd think the extra revenue we made from making it to the playoffs and now not clearly being in rebuilding mode anymore would be enough to make Angelos open up the wallet a little. I really believe last year's success was a result of all our players pulling in the same direction, a perfect storm if you will. I wouldn't just rest on my laurels and bring back the same crew as last year if I was Duquette.

Just because no major moves have been made of yet doesn't mean that this is the case. There's still a lot of offseason left.

I am waiting to see what Duquette does. It's pretty well known that he wants another bat. I'm postponing any judgment until the offseason is over. If it's Davis at 1B and Betemit/Valencia at DH, I'll cross my fingers, but that sounds like a big risk.

I think Pearce is the RH DH. Valencia has an option and Pearce does not. Pearce also has experience at 1b and can be a backup.

McLouth/Reimold lf

Markakis rf

Jones cf

Davis 1b

Wieters c

Hardy ss

Betemit/Pearce dh

Roberts/Casilla 2b

Machado 3b

Teagarden bc

That is my guess as to who are the favorite going into ST.

The O's should of been all over Reynolds at 1year 6 million, I would of even prolly would of gone to 7 or 8 if I had to. As much as I like Davis , I think we are going to miss Reynolds power , character, and also his solid sometimes incredible play at 1st base. Hopefully DD has something up his sleeve

DD has already said he's comfortable with the roster as-is - and he said that when Reynolds wasn't on the roster. So I'm not sure why this would surprise anyone. Not saying I disagree with the non-move. I think Reynolds is a good player - and I think he probably would be worth that money. But if you want to get both Betemit and Davis in the lineup on a regular basis, resigning Reynolds didn't make a ton of sense, considering that Nick will be back in right next season.

I for one do not think this portends a big signing. I hope I'm wrong.

The bigger disappointment for me is that we didn't somehow trade for Shields! That would have been a tremendous get.

The bigger disappointment for me is that we didn't somehow trade for Shields! That would have been a tremendous get.

Yeah, trading 4 guys with no service time, one of whom is one of the best 2 or 3 prospects in all of baseball, another who is a Top 50 prospect, for a guy with one year of control left would have been awesome.

DD has already said he's comfortable with the roster as-is - and he said that when Reynolds wasn't on the roster. So I'm not sure why this would surprise anyone. Not saying I disagree with the non-move. I think Reynolds is a good player - and I think he probably would be worth that money. But if you want to get both Betemit and Davis in the lineup on a regular basis, resigning Reynolds didn't make a ton of sense, considering that Nick will be back in right next season.

I for one do not think this portends a big signing. I hope I'm wrong.

There was going to be plenty AB for Davis, either as a DH or in the OF. I'm not too concerned about getting Betemit AB, unless in PH duty against a RH pitcher. This team lacks power from the right side, and its even worse now.

Betemits option for 2014 is all but guaranteed even in limited playing time. I think its around 3M? Wonder how much that factored in? Can't imagine the FO likes the idea of a 3M part time player taking up roster space in 2014.

Archived