Mark Reynolds signs with Cleveland

ChaosLex

If he's the starting DH vs RHPs all year then he'll get it. If he's just a LH bat off the bench then he won't.

Thats what I was getting at. Any move that guarantees that Betemit will make 3.2M as a Baltimore Oriole is a bad move. If he will make that in 2014, he will be guaranteed substantial playing time. I would have rather seen Reynolds signed at 7M, and Betemit soley a PH.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing is, there are no bats available. Certainly none that we would consider a MOO bat. If DD ends up pulling off a trade for a big bat, I'll be stunned because I haven't the slightest idea who it could be. Do you?
This is my thinking as well. Youk and Swisher are still available, but they will cost much more thann 6M and are they that much of an upgrade? Unless we are in on Hamilton I don't see how we are a better team less Reynolds. They must have a lot of faith in Davis defense at 1B, but adding a RH bat like Kearns or Wigginton for RHDH isn't as good as retaining Reynolds IMO, if they even do that. Very puzzling.

Part of me is going to really miss him, the other part of me is happy to see him gone.

He was here for 2 years. For 1 1/2 of those years he was atrocious as a fielder. For that other 1/2 he was average. Prior to coming to the Orioles he's been worth between 2-3 wins on average. With the Orioles? He's been worth < 1 win...TOTAL. Yes, his fielding was that bad that it offset nearly all of his offensive value. He's a very flawed player. No average, very cold most of the season and extremely hot when he's on. His one key value aside from the occasional power surge is his ability get on base. I loved that he had a great attitude, and that he was a likable fella...but for the price he wasn't worth it.

Now, for $6 million? I was hoping we'd try to sign him to something like $9-$11 million over 2 years with incentives that could get it to $14 or so over 2. Maybe something like:

2013: $5 million + $1.5 in incentives

2014: $6 million + $2.0 in incentives

...but we didn't make an offer. This makes me believe that the Orioles don't think his defensive value at 1B is really worth the downsides to him as a hitter. But what other options do we have? It looks like they're okay with Chris Davis at 1B....so I'd like to see us go after a guy like Mike Olt and also sign Justin Morneau. Olt could go to the minors work at 1B, and Morneau can man DH.

Thats what I was getting at. Any move that guarantees that Betemit will make 3.2M as a Baltimore Oriole is a bad move. If he will make that in 2014, he will be guaranteed substantial playing time. I would have rather seen Reynolds signed at 7M, and Betemit soley a PH.

If he's going to continue to put up an OPS in the .830-.860 range vs. RHPs, I don't think I would be opposed to keeping him for another year, even at $3 million.

If Duquette doesn't have something planned then we are screwed. Somehow I doubt that a team platooning Betemit/Valencia and starting Chris Davis at first base going into a season bodes well for a playoff run.

I'm okay with letting Reynolds go, but if the rumors are true that he didn't feel respected by the front office, (Something about not letting him know he'd be nontendered) then I have a serious problem with what the Orioles have done.

My biggest concern is that this might indicate that we truly have absolutely no money to spend on free agents. If this is the case and DD is really okay with going into spring training with the roster as-is, then I'm afraid we're in for a rough season.

Reynolds was never a Buck "nugget". Not briging him back at 6-7 mil a year for 1 year tells you all you need to know. This was simply deciding they wanted to go in a different direction. And I agree. Reynolds is a very limited player. We're going to trade for or sign a quality bat. It's not neccessarily going to be a 1b either. I do think Davis will likely have that job heading to ST. I think we trade for a Morse, Soriano, Trumbo, Willingham. A power bat, and most likely RH.

It seems that this year, more than ever, is Nolan Reimold's time to shine. If he can give us his 2009 form or what he showed glimpses of early last year, we'll have ourselves a pretty nice replacement (upgrade!) for Reynolds at DH. Davis handles everything thrown at him, so I'm not too worried about his defense at first. I guess what I'm saying is that there is some opportunity in this, as well. If Reimold is healthy, we will want plenty of at bats for him. With Mark still here and McLouth signed that would have been questionable.

That being said, I will miss the The Sheriff!

While I like Reynolds, I think that this move is a good one. Reynolds gets a one year deal to play for a long term contract. DD obviously was not going to give him a long term deal or arbitration. Obviously, the Orioles do not believe that Reynolds is a MOO bat that they desire. After all he generally batted seventh or eighth last year. I think Chris Davis is going to play an adequate first base and hit 30 plus homers this year.

Luke Scott all over again. Good night sweet prince.

Yup. Reynolds is the right handed version of Mr. Scott. When they're hot with the bat they can carry an offense for a few weeks. But boy do you sacrifice a ton with their gloves when those bats go ice frigging cold. Reynolds seemed like a good enough guy. But it seems quite clear that Buck had seen enough of the sheriff. And that's good enough for me.

Archived