Mark Reynolds signs with Cleveland

ChaosLex

Not sure I get that logic. Being bad at one position, doesn't guarantee you will be good at another, just like being a great 1B doesn't mean you will be a great 3B.

I'm guessing what he means is that the perception (and I don't necessarily agree with it) was that Reynolds played outstanding defense at 1b because the perception was that he played so poorly at 3b.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing what he means is that the perception (and I don't necessarily agree with it) was that Reynolds played outstanding defense at 1b because the perception was that he played so poorly at 3b.

Oh, the "put the ugly girl next to the uglier girl to make her look better" logic. ;)

I have mixed feelings about the departure of Mark Reynolds, mainly because I think he will come back to put up some big HR and RBI numbers. And if Chris Davis assumes the position, I think we might find ourselves defensively challenged at 1B. Hopefully Davis will find his inner defensive self at 1B like Reynolds eventually did.

But, I question another move the Orioles made. If they had decided they weren't going to resign Reynolds....which now appears to be the case......why did they let Joe Mahoney, the only potential ML-ready 1B in their system, walk away and sign with Miami? I think the Orioles may have made a mistake. Mahoney's bat has been solid at every level as he moved up through the system, and his power potential is still significant. And, he is a plus defender....his .998 fielding percentage at 1B ( 2 errors in 1168 chances) was the best of any full-time position player in the Orioles organization.

Joe will likely to be the starting 1B for the Marlins next season, so we will get to see whether or not the Orioles made a mistake.

Jack Cust only made $6M because through age 27 he had 169 MLB plate appearances despite annual .900-1.000 OPSes in AAA. If someone like the Orioles had just stuck Cust in the lineup when he was 23 or 24 and he'd have likely hit well enough to stick and then reached free agency, where he'd have gotten a comparable payday to Reynolds. I think they're pretty similar players, and a mini case study in how opportunity can shape a career as much as skills.

Edit: Or, what CA-Oriole said.

YEA but Mark Reynolds never fell down while running to home and that my friend was priceless....

Not sure I get that logic. Being bad at one position, doesn't guarantee you will be good at another, just like being a great 1B doesn't mean you will be a great 3B.

In Reynolds' case it worked out that way, tho not by Aristotelian logic (see what I did there?) Most of Mark's errors were on throws. 1B eliminated that.

I have mixed feelings about the departure of Mark Reynolds, mainly because I think he will come back to put up some big HR and RBI numbers. And if Chris Davis assumes the position, I think we might find ourselves defensively challenged at 1B. Hopefully Davis will find his inner defensive self at 1B like Reynolds eventually did.

But, I question another move the Orioles made. If they had decided they weren't going to resign Reynolds....which now appears to be the case......why did they let Joe Mahoney, the only potential ML-ready 1B in their system, walk away and sign with Miami? I think the Orioles may have made a mistake. Mahoney's bat has been solid at every level as he moved up through the system, and his power potential is still significant. And, he is a plus defender....his .998 fielding percentage at 1B ( 2 errors in 1168 chances) was the best of any full-time position player in the Orioles organization.

Joe will likely to be the starting 1B for the Marlins next season, so we will get to see whether or not the Orioles made a mistake.

DD replaced Mahoney to take a chance on Conor Jackson. Turnover almost for the sake of turnover. Classic Duquette.

DD replaced Mahoney to take a chance on Conor Jackson. Turnover almost for the sake of turnover. Classic Duquette.

Mahoney is a Jon Knott case and not nearly as talented. There are a ton of "potentially talented first basemen" available at any given time in free agency. These are the replacement level players.

At least with Jackson, there's a potential "change-of-scenery" that could rekindle what Jackson used to be. Maybe there's a coach we have that can fix his swing, or a conditioning regiment that beefs him up a bit.

Mahoney is a Jon Knott case and not nearly as talented. There are a ton of "potentially talented first basemen" available at any given time in free agency. These are the replacement level players.

At least with Jackson, there's a potential "change-of-scenery" that could rekindle what Jackson used to be. Maybe there's a coach we have that can fix his swing, or a conditioning regiment that beefs him up a bit.

Maybe Jackson is the 2013 McLouth.

I didn't mean to defend Mahoney. Like you said, dime a dozen. Jackson might be something but not holding my breath. DD's "buckshot approach". Hope he hits something.

If the O's were required to keep every formerly decent prospect who hasn't worked out yet at 24 or 25 but still might in a Luke Scott kind of way if everything breaks right... well, they'd need 15 or 20 minor league affiliates.

I wouldn't even give Mahoney that kind of credit.

Luke Scott: .912 OPS in the minors, including .962 in AAA.

Joe Mahoney: .761 OPS in the minors, including .708 in AAA.

Archived