Royals getting Shields and Wade Davis for Wil Myers and other prospects

andrewrickli

Let's see what the full trade is first, but if they got Wil Myers (as they almost certainly did), that seems like a big win to me. One of the top 2 or 3 prospects in all of baseball. Plus they're apparently getting other prospects as well. And the Rays have the rotation depth to put together a quality starting five even without Shields.

Prospects are prospects. Maybe good. Maybe not. He could take years to establish himself in the majors. His numbers where put in in the Pacific Coast League and the Texas League. Both hitters leagues. He put the numbers up a 21 which is good but there is still a decent risk as to how long he will take to develop at the major league level.

Shields is a major league quality starting stud.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very possible, but I'm 100% sure TB couldn't extend him, which is really the part that matters to them.

Oh Tampa had to trade him because they are the worst team in attendance in the AL. That doesn't mean that want to do it. They just couldn't afford to keep him with their market

Tillman+ for Butler is off the table. And the Rays may take a step back in 2013.

Sounds good to me.!

I don't think the Rays will be that much worse off in 2013, if at all. And they just got a whole lot better for 2014 and beyond. That's not good for the Orioles.

I don't think the Rays will be that much worse off in 2013, if at all. And they just got a whole lot better for 2014 and beyond. That's not good for the Orioles.

I agree that the Rays got the best of this deal, but this definitely hurts them in 2013, I don't know how to see it any other way.

Tampa must be signing a free agent starter. Marcum or Saunders? Marcum made $3.95 mill last season and Saunders made $6 mill. The Twins have an offer on the table for Saunders.

Shields is due to make $10.35 mill in 2013 and has an option for 2014 to make $12 mill with a $1 mill buyout. They would save money if they sign one of the cheaper free agent pitchers. Would the Royals flip Shields in a deal to the Orioles?

Archived