Royals getting Shields and Wade Davis for Wil Myers and other prospects

andrewrickli

Now that I've looked at the other players in the trade, I think Tampa got the better end of the bargain. Mike Montgomery had a bad year but he was BA's #23 prospect last year. Jake Odorizzi was no. 68 and had a good year in AAA. Patrick Leonard is an interesting young prospect, too early to tell about him.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff Passan's take on the trade included a back-handed compliment of the O's that brought back a somewhat pleasant memory of last season's drive to the postseason; it feels good to see former pshawers of the O's like Passan respect them now:

The last glimpse the baseball world got of Shields came Oct. 2. He threw arguably one of the best games of the last decade: nine innings, two hits, no walks, 15 strikeouts and one run on the one mistake of his night, which Chris Davis hit about 450 feet to dead center field. While a team cannot base a trade on a single game, this was the sort of pitcher the Royals envisioned putting atop their rotation: one who can stare at a playoff-bound Baltimore Orioles team and strike out 15 of those sum*****es.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb--royals-bet-big-james-shields-blockbuster-trade-with-rays-092108961.html

Just imagine what Tampa will be able to get for Price when they decide to trade him.

This season may be a slight regression for the Rays, but I won't be surprised to see them in the thick of the race this season. If they get the potential upside of Montgomery out of this, it could wind up being a huge Tampa win.

Just imagine what Tampa will be able to get for Price when they decide to trade him.

This season may be a slight regression for the Rays, but I won't be surprised to see them in the thick of the race this season. If they get the potential upside of Montgomery out of this, it could wind up being a huge Tampa win.

They may have been saving some money to try to lock up Price. You are right, though, Price will bring a king's ransome.

Now that I've looked at the other players in the trade, I think Tampa got the better end of the bargain. Mike Montgomery had a bad year but he was BA's #23 prospect last year. Jake Odorizzi was no. 68 and had a good year in AAA. Patrick Leonard is an interesting young prospect, too early to tell about him.

I like to use Scouting Book because it's constantly updated even throughout the offseason. Currently...

#8 - Myers

#28 - Montgomery

#30 - Odorizzi

On a related note. It's Wil Myers birthday. Happy birthday Wil, you're relocating to Tampa, but hey, can't be much worse than KC right?

This trade is what makes me want DD to guy "buy" a bat (Youk or Laroche) and not be trading a bunch of young pitching for it. Currently, none of our young pitchers (outside of possibly Tillman) have a ton of value by themselves. I know they may never, but in the second half of last year, Britton and Matusz had some great performances, and I believe Arrietta is at too low of a point to even consider moving. With Tillman, I'd rather hold onto him until we know more about Gausman and Bundy. Just my opinion.

Spoken like a true O's fan - believing that all highly-ranked prospects are future MLB all stars (like Bundy, Gausman, Shoop). Seems it wasn't that long ago that Matusz, Arrieta, perhaps even Bergy and Berken were "sure things".

By adding two big pieces to their rotation (to go along with Guthrie, Ervin Santana and Hochevar), they just put themselves in a position to compete in the AL Central.

Good trade for both teams.

They still can't score runs: 12 in the AL last year in runs.

Here's Posnanski:

It goes without saying that in pure baseball terms, I despise the the Royals trade of late Sunday night. Despise. Deplore. Deride. Disapprove. If there was a Royals Tradebook Page, I would click the "dislike" button at least 10,000 times. The Royals traded their No. 1 prospect (and one of the best hitting prospects in the game), their No. 5 prospect, PLUS last year's No. 1 prospect PLUS a fourth semi-prospect (because the other three apparently weren't enough) to Tampa Bay for a 31-year-old pitcher with a whole lot of innings and a very shaky road record and a 27-year-old pitcher who was demoted to the bullpen. I'd say 10,000 dislikes might not be enough.

But, for a moment, before delving deeper into the pile of dislikes, I think it's important to consider what it is to be the Kansas City Royals heading into 2013.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-desperate-grab-for-hope.html

It really is just a terrible move. I mean does Friedman have dirty pictures of Moore of something? I know he is supposed to be a genius but could you imagine the phonecall?

"Uh yeah Dayton hows about you give me Myers and these other guys for Shields and Davis? Alright that was fun now let's talk serious....Oh, OH THATS OKAY?! YEAH! SURE! GREAT!"

Archived