Hardy weighs in on Reynolds

Frobby

"He wanted to come back," Hardy said. "The thing is, I think he would have signed for less money to come back here. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think we'll all miss him, for sure.

"I've talked to him, not as much since he signed with them, but I was talking to him a lot before that. There were a lot of teams showing interest in him. And I still thought there was a chance we'd get him back."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/12/hardy-disappointed-that-reynolds-is-leaving.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardy is mostly positive in the rest of the article, though. Clearly, Mark was not a Duquette guy. We'll never know for sure, but he clearly wasn't in his plans going forward.

Yeah, that must be the case. But the ending was just a little callous for me. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth...

People.............this is Duquettes reputation from Boston. Great at X's and O's but not a people person. Gets lots of people furious at him.

I will live with that if we win.................just win baby. I'm tired of being respectable losers.

Its pretty obvious that the Orioles would rather not have Reynolds than to have Reynolds...regardless of the contract or need of a power hitting defensively gifted first basemen. He was a one trick pony that had a power outage by his own standards and kept himself serviceable by taking walks and playing a pretty decent first base (after an atrocity of an attempt at third). The guy is white noise on a winning club and I just don't see why everyone has their under garments in a twist over it.

Its pretty obvious that the Orioles would rather not have Reynolds than to have Reynolds...regardless of the contract or need of a power hitting defensively gifted first basemen. He was a one trick pony that had a power outage by his own standards and kept himself serviceable by taking walks and playing a pretty decent first base (after an atrocity of an attempt at third). The guy is white noise on a winning club and I just don't see why everyone has their under garments in a twist over it.

How was he a one trick pony?

People.............this is Duquettes reputation from Boston. Great at X's and O's but not a people person. Gets lots of people furious at him.

I will live with that if we win.................just win baby. I'm tired of being respectable losers.

I don't remember being respectable before DD showed up ;)

Yeah he was a "one trick pony" alright.

Who had the 2nd best OBP on the team, was going to hit you 30 HR's, and play great defense at first base.

How was he a one trick pony?

40 home run potential. He wasn't a terrific defender excluding his half year at first, he wasn't a threat on the bases, he didn't play small ball (strikeouts, plus I personally can't ever remember a time where he attempted some sort of sacrifice to get a runner over.) His average was awful and the only reason it was acceptable because he knew how to take pitches and turn it into a walk. Still with a decent ability to take a walk his OBP was average. I think that sums up 'one trick pony' pretty well.

40 home run potential. He wasn't a terrific defender excluding his half year at first, he wasn't a threat on the bases, he didn't play small ball (strikeouts, plus I personally can't ever remember a time where he attempted some sort of sacrifice to get a runner over.) His average was awful and the only reason it was acceptable because he knew how to take pitches and turn it into a walk. Still with a decent ability to take a walk his OBP was average. I think that sums up 'one trick pony' pretty well.
High P/PA, high BB%, decent OBP, 40 HR power, good OPS RISP, good defense at 1B, good teamate, tough player. I'd say that eight tricks.

This is very true.

Who had the 2nd best OBP on the team, was going to hit you 30 HR's, and play great defense at first base.

Our team's 311OBP ranked 23rd in all of baseball, being the 2nd best there didn't seem all that challenging. 332OBP is good, not great. Its also his highest OBP since his breakout season in 2009. He played solid defense at first, and had alot of heart but i won't miss his 30+ hrs that goes with his striking out in almost 35% of his at bats. Give me someone like Surhoff or Baines and ill be happy.

I got a good deal of enjoyment from Reynolds the past two seasons, but the fact that so many of you are mourning as a great loss of OBP a guy whose percentages were .323 (2011) and .335 (2012) says a lot more about how poor the Orioles are at getting on base than about his inherent value. His OPS last year was fifth on the team and his spurts of home run power were much too brief and infrequent for the type of hitter we need at first base. Markakis' .363 and B-Rob's four-year .354-.378 run before the probably career-dooming injuries--that's the type of OBP Reynolds wd have needed to supply to make up for his power outages and inability to play any small ball, another area in which the O's need vast improvement.

Archived