Kendrys Morales

Bohs&O's

I cannot believe the Mariners got Morales for Vargas. We still sit here twiddling our thumbs. Ill bet PA didn't want to pay Morales.

Dynamite drop in Monty!

Morales is redundant on this team and we don't really have anyone comparable to Vargas to trade. We have no innings eater that the Angels were looking for.

I'm sure it was PA and the 4.8 million he was projected to make.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dynamite drop in Monty!

Morales is redundant on this team and we don't really have anyone comparable to Vargas to trade. We have no innings eater that the Angels were looking for.

You're probably right, but how does this not make you nervous at this point? We haven't improved the team yet. I trust in DD but I worry about the fact that every team seems to be improving but us. I like our team a lot, but it would be foolish to think that of all the teams in the MLB, we should stand pat.

I also don't see Morales as redundant. I know everyone sees our dh platoon as being effective, but Morales definitely could improve it

Dynamite drop in Monty!

He's not redundant. Morales would have been an offensive upgrade, which means you make room for him. Morales to 1b, Davis the OF, and Betemit to the bench, where he belongs.

And you're right. We don't have anyone comparable to Vargas. We could have offered them someone better. If the Os aren't hanging their hats on LaRoche or Morse, it's inexcusable they weren't the ones making this deal.

Matusz for Smoak? ;)

Not sure if you're kidding but has everyone forgotten BMatz's relief dominance? Smoak has never performed nearly that well in any role

Matusz for Smoak? ;)

The Mariners are still looking for hitters. I wonder if they would like a Betemit for Smoak trade? Smoak is the kind of young, controlled high upside guy that I would like to see us aquire. He would plug right in there into Meats DH spot against RH pitching. It might take Meat plus a fringey starter, or maybe we could expand the deal a little both ways, but Smoak is my kind of target.

He's not redundant. Morales would have been an offensive upgrade, which means you make room for him. Morales to 1b, Davis the OF, and Betemit to the bench, where he belongs.

And you're right. We don't have anyone comparable to Vargas. We could have offered them someone better. If the Os aren't hanging their hats on LaRoche or Morse, it's inexcusable they weren't the ones making this deal.

Morales vs. RHPs in 2012: .280/.325/.466

Betemit vs. RHPs in 2012: .302/.357/.502

And Morales doesn't hit lefties very well.

Morales vs. RHPs in 2012: .280/.325/.466

Betemit vs. RHPs in 2012: .302/.357/.502

And Morales doesn't hit lefties very well.

You can't use 2012 statistics to gauge Morales value. He was coming off of a MAJOR injury. The difference is his upside and the potential for him to capture what he showed in 2009 and the begining of 2010. Betemit has no upside. None. Nada.

I'm interested to see who takes a shot at Smoak. I could see Duquette pulling the trigger on something like Arrieta for Smoak.

He's clearly available now. Morales at 1B, Montero at DH, Jaso at C bumps him out of the lineup.

This Fangraphs article suggests that he was able to make adjustments at the end of last year that saw finish the year scorching hot.

I'm interested to see who takes a shot at Smoak. I could see Duquette pulling the trigger on something like Arrieta for Smoak.

He's clearly available now. Morales at 1B, Montero at DH, Jaso at C bumps him out of the lineup.

That would be a horrific deal for the Orioles. Smoak has shown no signs of panning out, while Arrieta has at least show glimpses of greatness.

That would be a horrific deal for the Orioles. Smoak has shown no signs of panning out, while Arrieta has at least show glimpses of greatness.

Smoak has shown glimpses just as much as Arrieta has. 1.005 OPS in September last year.

Four times in his career, he's had an OPS of over .900 in a month.

You can't use 2012 statistics to gauge Morales value. He was coming off of a MAJOR injury. The difference is his upside and the potential for him to capture what he showed in 2009 and the begining of 2010. Betemit has no upside. None. Nada.

Morales played a full season last year, and was solid but unspectacular. It's possible that he'll turn back into the player he was 3 years and and a catastrophic injury ago but I'm not holding my breath. Betemit's upside is pretty obvious-. 865 OPS vs. RHPs since 2010. Neither guy hits lefties very well.

Betemit is already on the team. Morales would have cost us talent.

DD made the right call.

Archived