Red Sox nearing deal with Dempster

WallyB8

MLB.com is reporting the Red Sox are close to a two year deal with Ryan Dempster. All of the teams around us are adding players and getting better. Oh, wait a minute, we added Nate McClouth. I am so sick of seeing teams around us adding players to getbetter. This is the same ole, same ole every offseason. Peter was talking a load of crap when he said he would do what it took to add to this team. I don't care what DD says at some public luncheon. All he is going to to do is say what is expected of him to make himself and the team sound good. I know there is plenty of time left in the offseason but I am just tired of seeing the Orioles just sitting dormant.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121213&content_id=40641816&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Must we have a thread like this with every signing? Dempster is average at best and is 35 years old.

I don't have an issue with starting a thread about it. I do think that threads of this nature should be in the MLB section.

Mods can we just sticky a "Red Sox sign aged free agent" thread in the MLB sections?

I don't have an issue with starting a thread about it. I do think that threads of this nature should be in the MLB section.

Mods can we just sticky a "Red Sox sign aged free agent" thread in the MLB sections?

I'm just tired of seeing new threads complaining about how we're not getting any better while other teams are signing mediocre free agents. Or overpaying for them.

We're raising a fuss over a 35 year old pitcher being signed to a 2-year contract, at the end of which he'll be 37? Dempster was terrible with Texas last year, after pitching his entire career in a league without a DH. Not to mention his career against the AL isn't exactly awe inspiring.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=oppon|Inter-League|dempsry01|pitch|IP|

Even if he returns slightly to form, this is more of a water treading move by the Red Sox. The same moves that the Orioles made time after time, year after year, for much of their mediocrity. Raising a fuss over the Blue Jays making the big deal, I could kind of understand that. But this is just grasping at straws and looking for something to complain about.

Archived