Buck called Davis 3 weeks ago and informed he would be the 2013 1st baseman.

O's are Legends

Anyone else watching MASN right now?

Davis is being interviewed over the phone and said Buck called him 3 weeks ago and told him he would be the 1st baseman for the 2013 season. He's the 1st baseman and that's the role he needs to start preparing for and his roll is clear coming into spring training.

He was a bit surprised how well he did in the outfield but found it a bit difficult especially towards the end of the season.

He is confident in the group they can make playoffs again. Buck has your back, great to play for etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another indication that the Orioles didn't intend to bring Reynolds back.

And yet, Dan Duquette was being quoted as late as Nov. 27-28 as saying they were going to have discussions about keeping Reynolds. I'm still not happy about him making that statement.

Buck talked at the Winter Meeting about calling Davis and discussing 1B. Buck version was a little different. Buck said that he told Davis that he may play 1B. Of course, there is not way to know if it is the same conversation.

DD did say that his discussions concerning bringing Reynolds back were internal. Not with Reynolds or his agent.

Chris Davis?s MLB defensive stats:

291 games

2195 Chances

2045 Put Outs

140 Assists

10 Errors

.995 Fielding %

Limited experience, but Davis is a much better defensive 1B than we might think, and there is no reason to believe he can't get better. FWIW, his defensive stats are almost identical to Nick Swisher.

Before Reynolds moved to 1B on a full-time basis, not many people expected him to do as well defensively as he did. We won't now how Davis can do until he has the chance. He got a full year's at bats last year and produced. Maybe some of the pressure is off now and he can focus more on defense at one position instead of wondering if he'll be in the lineup and where he might play. He could end up being as good or better than Reynolds defensively. We'll see.

Chris Davis?s MLB defensive stats:

291 games

2195 Chances

2045 Put Outs

140 Assists

10 Errors

.995 Fielding %

Limited experience, but Davis is a much better defensive 1B than we might think, and there is no reason to believe he can't get better. FWIW, his defensive stats are almost identical to Nick Swisher.

Errors are not charged to the 1B when the throw bounces. That is one of the areas that Davis had big problems with last year. Not being able to scoop throws. Reynolds was excellent at that skill.

Davis started 38 games at 1B last year. That is 23% of the season. That's a pretty good trial. I hope they practice the heck out of him at 1B this spring. I hope he can improve.

Errors are not charged to the 1B when the throw bounces. That is one of the areas that Davis had big problems with last year. Not being able to scoop throws. Reynolds was excellent at that skill.

Davis started 38 games at 1B last year. That is 23% of the season. That's a pretty good trial. I hope they practice the heck out of him at 1B this spring. I hope he can improve.

Bobby Dickerson is a wonderful infield instructor. I have spent hours watching him run drills. The infield will be prepared.

I take more from his other 183 games where he was considered a decent defensive first baseman. I don't have a calculator but 183 is much larger than 38. I expect the fact that he knows he will be the full time first baseman to mean he will do better next year.

I take more from his other 183 games where he was considered a decent defensive first baseman. I don't have a calculator but 183 is much larger than 38. I expect the fact that he knows he will be the full time first baseman to mean he will do better next year.

Didnt he start the season as the 1B? Reynolds was moved there until both were awful. Davis has hands of Stone!

Archived