Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 on Josh Hamilton?

Frobby

Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 mm on Josh Hamilton?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 mm on Josh Hamilton?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes! Because I want to win a championship and he helps me get closer.

You play to win the game. HELLO! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

YOU PLAY TO APPEAR YOUR TRYING & TO MAKE $ FOR YOUR INVESTMENT !

The results of this poll are astounding to me. I am speechless really.

Many have been brainwashed to believe a fan of a team needs to think about each move like they would a transaction in their

checkbook.

News flash: Petey has plenty of cash and 1 or 2 signings aren't going to break us.

I could see being happy about not signing Carl Crawford, but Josh Hamilton?

Many have been brainwashed to believe a fan of a team needs to think about each move like they would a transaction in their

checkbook.

News flash: Petey has plenty of cash and 1 or 2 signings aren't going to break us.

Rational thinking. Most of us would love to have Hamilton, Grienke, etc... We'd love to have a 200 million payroll. Not going to happen. So you base your vote on what 25 million a year on a team with a lower payroll should do. Paying one player 25% of your payroll, is just stupid!

checkbook.

Honestly, I'm stunned that it's even this close.

Rational thinking. Most of us would love to have Hamilton, Grienke, etc... We'd love to have a 200 million payroll. Not going to happen. So you base your vote on what 25 million a year on a team with a lower payroll should do. Paying one player 25% of your payroll, is just stupid!

That isn't a $200M payroll with Hamilton. The Greinke contract was stupid, that wasn't in the poll and I didn't mention it. I was just commenting on Hamilton.

We do however need another SP.

That isn't a $200M payroll with Hamilton. The Greinke contract was stupid, that wasn't in the poll and I didn't mention it. I was just commenting on Hamilton.

We do however need another SP.

But he would be about 25% of our payroll, and considering that he missed 25% of his games during his physical prime due to injury, doesn't that strike you as a really bad idea?

Given Hamilton's history, I wonder if insurance is even obtainable. If it is available, the cost must be staggering or, more likely, the things that you would most want insured against would simply be excluded. 5/125 is high risk already just from the figures involved and this isn't an ordinary risk profile.

But he would be about 25% of our payroll, and considering that he missed 25% of his games during his physical prime due to injury, doesn't that strike you as a really bad idea?

No a bad idea is having a 2b on the team that is a shell of his former self and pretending he can do the job. What does he make?

I love Nick and he is overpaid too.

You sometimes have to pay more than normally would to get you over the top. Josh is that kind of player IMO.

This messageboard is the finest Orioles site on the intarwebs. At least ONE of the TOP baseball boards in the country. Besides many other things, the Hangout is all that because we deal with reality. Not tilt at windmills. We discuss baseball, rationally. Big Pete has so much money blah blah blah. Yes he could spend more. Or he could realize the American dream and make more as business people are wont to do. You go boy!

My point is that PA is only going to spend the meager amount that he does. And btw 80-100 million is not meager. Anyways THAT is the budget Double D has to work with.

Reality is reality. Now if we posters here on the Hangout post like we do/should/wish have an unlimited budget... it becomes ESPN Fantasy baseball. MLB 2K13.

If we're going to have intelligent discourse about the Orioles and their path, we ALL have to work within the same constraints in which Dan Duquette works every day of his life. He may have a little room left in the budget and it's still not even Christmas. We have to think like he has to.

We still haven't heard a peep about any Asian signing. Do you think we folded up our tent there? This team is not done. Dan Duquette is not done.

That's why Josh made no sense for us.

This messageboard is the finest Orioles site on the intarwebs. At least ONE of the TOP baseball boards in the country. Besides many other things, the Hangout is all that because we deal with reality. Not tilt at windmills. We discuss baseball, rationally. Big Pete has so much money blah blah blah. Yes he could spend more. Or he could realize the American dream and make more as business people are wont to do. You go boy!

My point is that PA is only going to spend the meager amount that he does. And btw 80-100 million is not meager. Anyways THAT is the budget Double D has to work with.

Reality is reality. Now if we posters here on the Hangout post like we do/should/wish have an unlimited budget... it becomes ESPN Fantasy baseball. MLB 2K13.

If we're going to have intelligent discourse about the Orioles and their path, we ALL have to work within the same constraints in which Dan Duquette works every day of his life. He may have a little room left in the budget and it's still not even Christmas. We have to think like he has to.

We still haven't heard a peep about any Asian signing. Do you think we folded up our tent there? This team is not done. Dan Duquette is not done.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or lecturing me. I understand we don't have the revenue the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sux etc.. have. I know we will probably never have a payroll of 150-200. But I'm sure we all wish we did/could. I'm sure all of us wish PA would spend more money. That we could go out and sign anyone we wanted. At his point in time, revenue and owner wise, that's not going to happen. Someone should tell PA that squirreling away his money won't help him when he dies, he can't take it with him.

:agree:

Spending 1/4 or 1/5 of your payroll is a sure fire way to cause long term instability for a team like the O's. We can all wish Pete would raise the payroll to 150 million were signing a guy like Hamilton MIGHT make sense then. Then you can kinda afford the downside of the deal. We can also wish we all win powerball but I doubt that happens either.

It is what it is. I am sure if DD had unlimited funds he would love to have plugged Hamilton and his 40 HR in LF vrs Nate McLouth/ Nolan Reimold. Unfortunately reality calls and DD has to deal with the deck he has. All things considered he has looked like a wizard to this point and I like you believe he will still add a few significant but not overly costly pieces.

Archived