Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 on Josh Hamilton?

Frobby

Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 mm on Josh Hamilton?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 mm on Josh Hamilton?

• Yes
    • No

No a bad idea is having a 2b on the team that is a shell of his former self and pretending he can do the job. What does he make?

I love Nick and he is overpaid too.

You sometimes have to pay more than normally would to get you over the top. Josh is that kind of player IMO.

SO, how exactly would you get rid of Roberts salary? Release him? You still have to pay him. Trade him? He's been hurt for almost 2 years who's gonna want him and his 10 million contract?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No a bad idea is having a 2b on the team that is a shell of his former self and pretending he can do the job. What does he make?

You sometimes have to pay more than normally would to get you over the top. Josh is that kind of player IMO.

And you're cool with it if he misses 40-70 games out of 162 like he's done in 3 of his 6 MLB seasons during his physical prime, which generally ends at 32, the age he will be next year in the first year of his new $125 million contract that would be roughly 1/5 to 1/4 of our entire payroll for the next half decade?

And, just throwing it out there since I double posted somehow, I think the Victorino deal is a better deal than the Hamilton contract. If Shane is worth 6-8 WAR over the next 3 years(his age 32-34 seasons), then Boston has made their money back. He's a multi-time AS and GG with good speed and decent power. He'll be worth it.

Josh Hamilton has to be worth like 22-25 WAR during his age 32-36 seasons to live up to his contract. Highly unlikely considering that he was only worth around 23 WAR during his age 26-31 seasons, which are typically a player's best years.

Personally, I'll be shocked if he even sniffs 20. Those last 3 years are a disaster waiting to happen.

We have a thread like this every now and then. What's interesting is that 3/4 quarters or more always say no. Basically we are feeding into the big trap IMO. I can't remember a single player whom the majority liked the contract the player got. So that means if the OH population we're the owner of the Orioles it would never sign a top free agent again. I think 5 years of Mr. Hamilton is a lot considering his age. But as I said in past threads you have to eventually take a chance on someone. I personally would've went with the Hamilton deal considering that we don't have a MOO bat in the minors or at least close tone majors. I suppose that this years Thome or Vlad will be available to waste 5-6 million on that the Orioles will get little value out of. I don't know what the Orioles paid to Thome after they traded a player to get him but it certainly wasn't worth it.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or lecturing me. I understand we don't have the revenue the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sux etc.. have. I know we will probably never have a payroll of 150-200. But I'm sure we all wish we did/could. I'm sure all of us wish PA would spend more money. That we could go out and sign anyone we wanted. At his point in time, revenue and owner wise, that's not going to happen. Someone should tell PA that squirreling away his money won't help him when he dies, he can't take it with him.

Agreeing for sure. ;) I just get verbose...

But my main point is we all have to discuss baseball as DD has to work. His budget. If our discussion is to have any real meaning.

Let me get this straight... The two examples on our team you cited... are "overpaid". But you're saying we need to be overpaying ANOTHER player even more? That's going to get us over the top?

Agreeing for sure. ;) I just get verbose...

But my main point is we all have to discuss baseball as DD has to work. His budget. If our discussion is to have any real meaning.

Good. I really don't understand why people waste time whining, beotching, moaning and complaining about things they have absolutely no control over. If they don't like the O's payroll, owner, players, and losing. Jump off the effin bandwagon and onto someone else's.

I don't know what the Orioles paid to Thome after they traded a player to get him but it certainly wasn't worth it.

Trading for Thome pushed Betemit to 3rd base. Betemit being pushed to third base was a disaster. Betemit being a disaster at third base pushed Duquette to make the bold move to bring Manny up. Boom. Fate. :D

:agree:

Spending 1/4 or 1/5 of your payroll is a sure fire way to cause long term instability for a team like the O's. We can all wish Pete would raise the payroll to 150 million were signing a guy like Hamilton MIGHT make sense then. Then you can kinda afford the downside of the deal. We can also wish we all win powerball but I doubt that happens either.

It is what it is. I am sure if DD had unlimited funds he would love to have plugged Hamilton and his 40 HR in LF vrs Nate McLouth/ Nolan Reimold. Unfortunately reality calls and DD has to deal with the deck he has. All things considered he has looked like a wizard to this point and I like you believe he will still add a few significant but not overly costly pieces.

Dance with the one that brung ya.

No. 5/110MM would have been the max I was willing to go. The Angels are going to be absolutely crushed for money in 4-5 years. I'm glad didn't go there.

I wonder if they are. These TV deals are getting insane! I hate the inequity in baseball revenue... VERY much. But the overall revenue......... deals teams are pulling off. That's Billions coming into baseball! Anaheim will eat this loss (IF it is a loss...) eat this loss for breakfast. Just like the Yankees used to do.

More money is GOOD, even if it's not ours personally (yet.) BudS does have one thing straight, More and more and MORE money pouring into baseball is good for the whole.

Hopefully not a strike will finally bring about some REAL revenue sharing in baseball. Working gangbusters in football. They're beating our pants off. :(

All parties in baseball need to just step back and realize how much money this all is.

I voted yes. I feel the team has the revenue to add that payroll plus sign our own over the next 5 years, and with the added attendance a winning club would bring we would have even more money to spend. Not saying we will be even close to LA teams or the Yanks, but enough to afford a competitive team. We need a MOO bat and it is my personal opinon he will hold up fairly well over the course of the contract and would be worth or close to the contract. I know some do not prescribe to the protection theory, but I do and his presence will only help Adam and Matt, and IMHO their numbers would go up beyond the natural progression we would expect to see.

Yes, Yes, Yes. The O's have been pocketing tons of money from the MASN deal for years. How about giving a little back to the team, for the fans?

Every team in our division is making moves to better there team and what are we doing, nothins, as usual.

Angelos Sucks

Archived