Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 on Josh Hamilton?

Frobby

Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 mm on Josh Hamilton?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have wanted the Orioles to spend 5/$125 mm on Josh Hamilton?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a draft and develop guy but I would have done this deal. It's a year longer than I would like but considering all factors it's a reasonable deal. It's not 8 or 10 years like the Pujols and Fielder contracts. And I think Hamilton would be good enough the first 3 years to warrant the money and the last 2 years.

Guest rochester

In past years (decade?) I believed that overpaying was a necessary component to having a chance to bring a "star" to Baltimore - 5/125 may not have been totally outrageous as it may have up to a 20% "Please come to Baltimore although nobody else wants to" premium. We needed someone "big" to take our money to start turning the perception around that playing for the O's was nuclear. There would be no way that one player could have made much difference, thus foolish from a pure W/L perspective but...

Long story short...no. The only team that has gorged on salaries and got out is the Sawx last year, and that's only because you now have new Dodgers ownership that think money will solve everything. The Angels? Unbelievably risky move - putting JH in LA without the consistent support mechanism he had in TX could spell disaster - I am very surprised. Plus, TX's $$ is worth a lot more than California - no individual state income tax - which is a ~13% increase in TX.

YOU PLAY TO APPEAR YOUR TRYING & TO MAKE $ FOR YOUR INVESTMENT !

The results of this poll are astounding to me. I am speechless really.

Many have been brainwashed to believe a fan of a team needs to think about each move like they would a transaction in their

checkbook.

News flash: Petey has plenty of cash and 1 or 2 signings aren't going to break us.

I could see being happy about not signing Carl Crawford, but Josh Hamilton?

Why'd you go back to the dshawg1 handle? What happened to playbaltimorecom?

Anyway, I answered yes, under the assumption that our payroll can be comfortably in the 120-130 million dollar range, which I believe it can be. I said all along that I would try as hard as possible to limit to 4 years but would go 5 if necessary.

Having said that, I wouldn't have went over that, which means he still probably goes to the Angels.

Archived