Peter Angelos...Good owner or Bad owner.

OsLuvrInKy

Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?

• YES he is a good owner
    • NO he is not a good owner

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I will occasionally get into disputes with some of the more aggressive anti-Angelos folks, I find it difficult to believe anyone truly believes Peter Angelos is a good owner. In the 20-odd years he's owned the team they've rarely lurched towards having sustainable success, and if they actually get there now it'll be a first.

That doesn't count apparently. You need to spend on someone from outside of the organization.

Exactly. The only way to beat PA and POSSIBLY get him to spend money is not buy season tickets and watch the games locally on TV. Maybe, just maybe he feels the pain and gets the message and begins to spend but I doubt it. Sorry but it's the truth. The last time he really spent on players outside of the organization was back in the late 80s and early early 90s.

Exactly. The only way to beat PA and POSSIBLY get him to spend money is not buy season tickets and watch the games locally on TV. Maybe, just maybe he feels the pain and gets the message and begins to spend but I doubt it. Sorry but it's the truth. The last time he really spent on players outside of the organization was back in the late 80s and early early 90s.

I was being sarcastic. PA has paid his own players lately. He paid Miggy. He payed Vlad and Derrek Lee solid money for one year. Jsut because he doesn't overpsend for average players doesn't mean he doesn't spend. I hate the whole argument that our payroll should be higher because he has it. It's just insane.

Okay, this is idiotic. You want him to spend more money yet you're advocating that people not buy season tickets which money wise could go to some of the FA's you want. That just sounds counter-productive to me. And Angelos wasn't the owner in the late 80's and early 90's.

First off, Peter Angelos became the owner in 1993, therefore, he wasn't even in the picture in the late 80's, when by the way, the Orioles had spent money on free agents at the expense of the farm system, and it led them to having the worst season in the history of the Orioles.

Second, this make him feel the pain argument has gone on forever, and it has never held any water. It's been well documented the attendance decrease at Camden Yards since the late 1990's up until this past year, and what did that amount to? Did that force Angelos to spend money? Well he spent it over the years, contrary to what people might say, but he sure didn't spend it wisely. Peter Angelos wasn't suffering through all those years from a financial or desire to win standpoint, and he sure isn't suffering now. If people want to not come out to the ballpark that's their right and decision, but it didn't make a difference then, and it won't make a difference now, or ever.

Ted Lerner is that you?

Archived