Peter Angelos...Good owner or Bad owner.

OsLuvrInKy

Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?

• YES he is a good owner
    • NO he is not a good owner

YES....because most of us agree he is a Bad owner. What he is NOT is the worst owner in sports, or the devil, or THE reason we lost for 14 years. And for you to say you "hate" the man because he is a bad owner, says more about you than I'd care to know.

Okay he's nt the worst owner...almost certainly top 10 worst in professional sports. I don't hate Sneaky Pete....but I o wish he'd go away.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True. He's not Loria, a hired thug of Bud Selig who has intentionally tried to destroy two different MLB franchises and actually succeed in one. All Angelos has done is taken a historically great, popular franchise with massive revenue advantages and squandered it all in 15 years, turning it into a poorly-attended laughingstock. With enough creativity you could construct a case where Angelos is the 28th or even 27th-best owner in MLB.

Or you could view him as the man who, if only for a brief while, brought back a little glory to a franchise that was beginning to languish under Eli Jacobs' neglect.

I don't dispute anything you say about the last 15 years, and Lord knows I don't want to appoint myself resident apologist for Peter Angelos but I see little to be gained by turning him into a cartoon villain as many (not you) seem content to do. IMO history is not going to be kind to PGA in regard to his ownership of the Orioles and barring some Showalter magic over the next couple of years, he will have richly earned the derision of baseball historians.

He's pretty bad. One good season does not make up for 15 bad ones. Or was it 14? Yes, I am hopeful the team will win, but the only thing that makes me optimistic about the future is that Angelos is 85. He also did not save the Orioles. Camden yards was built 100% with tax payer dollars before he bought the team. Angelos saving the team is a line of BS, if I ever heard one. He should have never gotten away ruining the franchise the way he did, except he is petty and holds grudges, so everyone is afraid of him.

He is not as bad an owner as some make him out to be.

I'm sorry, but yes he is. He's an exceedingly bad owner. From LaCava to Brooks to Davey to Flanny to Thrift to Stockstill to our MiL budgets to MASN revenues...it almost doesn't even matter. What ultimately matters is the W-L record and, until recently, that was terrible.

This is the same guy who wanted to keep MacPhail here. The guy who disagreed with MacPhail's choice of manager and pushed Buck on us. The guy who recently scuttled the LaCava deal, just like the Sele deal years ago. Yes, I know Buck and not-LaCava worked out for us, but the contradictions and management processes are ridiculous.

And I totally agree with Tony, the locker room incident made me furious. How many Orioles had never even met the man? I wanted to reach through my television when I saw him on the camera.

We need to thank our lucky stars that Buck and DD and Peterson can make it work (so far) under his terrible leadership.

With all of that being said, and my opinion clear, I do think this thread provides the opportunity to 1) clarify the general feelings about the man and 2) give the partial-defenders their place to make the case. Even though I hate him as an owner, even I recognize that he's apparently done some things better over the last few years. Of course, we still have Stockstill and who knows what the process would be if DD actually wanted to make a major trade in July. So, no, I'm not confident that he is any better, just that we happened upon some better management under him.

I'm missing some of the people who say we all apologize for Angelos in this thread. If nothing else, we can always keep this bookmarked for when people want to return to that accusation.

The trolls and their friends at that radio station, want to make it be their mantra that Peter Angelos is the devil himself. We all know that these billionaires that own teams are not the types of guys who get nominated for sainthood. At best they may get a hospital wing named after them when they donate a huge amount after the illness of someone close. They mean those of us who are willing to dismiss the fact that Peter Angelos gets rich off of us. He was already rich. They mean those of us that are not always clamoring for the top paid free agent. They mean those of us who never start petitions for the immediate resignation of the Current GM. They mean those of us who will buy season ticket packages or go see games. Or watch the games on the Company owned masncashmoneycow station. Those of us who actually watch baseball, like baseball, and love the O's. No matter what we think of the billionaire. That's who they mean. When they call us apologists. They mean the 99 percent of us who are here for the right reason.

He isn't Bob Short, or the Bidwells.

Agreed he isn't the worst owner, but, bottom line, he isn't a good owner, and the team and city has suffered.

I would rather have a Mark Cuban type and his type of zealous desire to win, will he make mistakes, sure, nobody is perfect, but, at least you know where you stand with him.

Peter is a lawyer and a man after the almighty dollar, first and foremost, and with that type of attitude, the Orioles will suffer from it.

Bad owner but not as bad as some on here make him out to be. He is much less involved in what's going on with Duquettes decisions right now then he used to be. I think he really wants a winning team in Baltimore. I think he wants Orioles fans to see a playoff team. I think he wants to do it the right way and not spend a zillion dollars on free agents that don't deserve what they are getting. All the quotes from him show that he does not like how much free agents get, and that he wants to try to control the free agent spending. A lot of people take that as him pocketing money instead of spending it on the team. I take it as him not wanting to pay a 39 year old average player 25 million dollars and I'm okay with that.

I do know that I am in the very, very few minority when it comes to this. I am not trying to defend Angelos. We have not won with him as owner. I would not give out some of the contracts that some on here want to give out though, which is why I can't completely bash the guy for not topping the contracts that Hamilton, Fielder, Pujols, or many otherse have gotten.

One other thing that I have always loved about Peter Angelos, and it's a VERY small thing, but it was keeping the Camden Yards name. He could have very easily made it Pepsi field and pocketed more millions of dollars.

Totally agree. Also of note- at any point during the 14 years of HELL, he could've pulled a Loria and gutted the payroll down to bare bones and run the team that way for several years. Almost no one would've blamed him, and he would've made even more money. But he didn't. He continued to spend $70-90 million a year, albeit poorly.

That said, I still voted "no." Our road to HELL was paved with good intentions and ol' Pete was driving the steamroller.

Totally agree. Also of note- at any point during the 14 years of HELL, he could've pulled a Loria and gutted the payroll down to bare bones and run the team that way for several years. Almost no one would've blamed him, and he would've made even more money. But he didn't. He continued to spend $70-90 million a year, albeit poorly.

That said, I still voted "no." Our road to HELL was paved with good intentions and ol' Pete was driving the steamroller.

That's the biggest reason why I think he wants to win. Some think it's some sort of conspiracy where he spent just enough to make us think he cares.

I'm missing some of the people who say we all apologize for Angelos in this thread. If nothing else, we can always keep this bookmarked for when people want to return to that accusation.

I'm sure there will be folks who point to the (currently) five joke/contrarian "good" responses as proof that there are Angelos lovers/apologists and they infiltrate the board, walking among us undetected. Like Canadians.

Archived