If the Blue Jays land Dickey...

millertime

I dont understand why everyone is jumping on the Blue Jay bandwagon. They traded for two players (Johnson and Reyes) who are making alot of money and are very injury prone. Johnson is not the same pitcher he was a couple years ago. Buerle is what a number 3? 4? making alot of money. Now they are trading thier best prospects for a 38 year old pitcher? I feel like this offseason is going to kill the Jays for years to come. I mean how did Miami do with these guys last year? are the Blue Jays that much better then the Marlins were last year? They only thing i think will make them win more games is the fact the AL east is no where near as strong as it used to be.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Os could be back to challengjng for the cellar. Another offseason of the team sitting on its hands. Im not surprised and anyone who says the team has been dumpster diving or happy with a diabled roster by platooning players with little fielding value are just kidding themselves. The Orioles should spend time actually building a roster to increase fan interest than spending time making videos and fan luncheons by our gm.

Why am I not surprised after reading your post. Very negative.

This is only December.

You need to give them credit...they did everything they could to build a contending team know tha yanks and sox are going to have down years by their standards. We just tried to bottle up some magic again.

It is still just December 15th and the Dickey deal isn't finalized yet.

They also did not do "everything they could". The Jays ownership group can certainly afford to have made competitive offers for Greinke and Hamilton if they had chose to.

They have been active, particularly in trying to fortify their starting rotation.

Per Twitter, it sounds like the Dickey trade is agreed upon. Sick rotation and lineup. Yikes!

It is on paper, but Miami thought they looked great on paper last offseason.

The fact is, you can't discount 93 wins as luck, and we are going to blow off the block to start the year...

The Jays have certainly been impressive thus off season and they look to be the favorites right now.

However, I am reminded of the most recent batch of teams that have made massive trades/ free agent signings only to see them largely fall to pieces for one reason or another.

But jays have been very impressive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I like what the Jays have done this offseason. They've cashed a lot of prospect chips to shore up the major league team. It's really the payoff for the years they spent hoarding draft picks and working the system.

They certainly look as good as any team in the division. I'm looking forward to going toe to toe with them and the other AL East foes. We're not backing down.

Os could be back to challengjng for the cellar. Another offseason of the team sitting on its hands. Im not surprised and anyone who says the team has been dumpster diving or happy with a diabled roster by platooning players with little fielding value are just kidding themselves. The Orioles should spend time actually building a roster to increase fan interest than spending time making videos and fan luncheons by our gm.

This is truly an idiotic statement.

If you really think that those things are taking away from the Orioles building a better roster than you must not understand the real world.

But take a look at all of the players we have that are directly the responsibilty of moves made by AM.

Our playoff starting rotation was entirely Duquette. MacPhail would never have taken a team to the playoffs in Baltimore. We would have kept failing with the cavalry. MacPhail could build a core, but he proved that he couldn't do anything once he built it. You don't have to give Duquette all the credit, but it's impossible to ignore that we don't make the playoffs without him.

I would say yes, they are the team to beat. Morrow, Dickey and Josh Johnson are a very strong top 3. Bautista is one of the top hitters in the league, and now put Reyes and Melke in front of him. I would cite the bullpen as a weakness.

Meanwhile, the Rays lose Shields, and the O's, Yanks, and Sox pretty much tread water.

If Encarnacion can repeat-a big question mark-I do think they are the top team.

The big thing is going to be can they stay healthy, which is a very big question mark. I doubt they have completely depleted their farm system but I wonder what the Blue Jays' contingency is if someone gets injured.

Jackson is going to be money, mark my words. Career .381 OBP vs. LHPs. And before the"SSS!" crowd shows up, it should be noted that he's had well over 700 PAs vs. LHPs:

.283/.381/.436

Another DD gem in the making.

He has had a hard time coming back from his illness, it is hard to put much stock into previous numbers until he can show he can handle the major leagues again.

I'm supposed to be swayed into believing that a team that won 73 games last season is the favorite in the AL East based on a handful of moves that could potentially blow up in their face in epic proportions over three other teams, two of which made the playoffs, two of which are some of the best managed clubs in all of baseball, and one of which has endless payroll to spend and has always been able to resuscitate careers after it's no longer expected possible? The games aren't played on paper, and until they are actually played, I've no reason to believe that New York, Tampa, or yes, the Orioles, are any less of a favorite to win the East than the Blue Jays.

I'm supposed to be swayed into believing that a team that won 73 games last season is the favorite in the AL East based on a handful of moves that could potentially blow up in their face in epic proportions over three other teams, two of which made the playoffs, two of which are some of the best managed clubs in all of baseball, and one of which has endless payroll to spend and has always been able to resuscitate careers after it's no longer expected possible? The games aren't played on paper, and until they are actually played, I've no reason to believe that New York, Tampa, or yes, the Orioles, are any less of a favorite to win the East than the Blue Jays.

I think you'd like to think that, but deep down you know that a team whose biggest weakness was starting pitching just added 600-700 innings of something like 3.50 ERA quality. It doesn't take much squinting and hoping to see the Jays as a very serious contender right now, and probably a better team than the Orioles.

He has had a hard time coming back from his illness, it is hard to put much stock into previous numbers until he can show he can handle the major leagues again.

I agree, but his AAA season last year looked a lot like his career averages, and he was healthy or close to it. If we were able to fix McLouth, who was even further gone than Jackson, I think this could turn out to be a very solid under-the-radar move.

I agree, but his AAA season last year looked a lot like his career averages, and he was healthy or close to it. If we were able to fix McLouth, who was even further gone than Jackson, I think this could turn out to be a very solid under-the-radar move.

But he matched his MLB career averages at the AAA level. He shoul have exceeded them at the AAA level.

Archived