Here goes

bigbird

The problem is, teams won't be moving Adam Jones type players at the deadline because they will be contributing to their ML team.

Much better chance of getting a young MLer or ML ready talent right now than in July.

In July, we may get a more talented package(potentially) but that may be a package of players a year or more away from contributing up here.

What if what you're being offered now isn't enough? Sure it may be less later.. and it may not... so are you in the group that thinks "There is NO way Bedard should be sporting an O's uniform in 2008"? Because what you are being offered now is the best you'll ever get.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if what you're being offered now isn't enough? Sure it may be less later.. and it may not... so are you in the group that thinks "There is NO way Bedard should be sporting an O's uniform in 2008"? Because what you are being offered now is the best you'll ever get.

Why do you keep asking me this?

I have never said to trade Bedard just to trade him.

It all depends on the offer....I can't answer your question without knowing the offers.

Just remember Tejada. We went from Roy Oswalt to Troy Patton. At some point you have to pull the trigger.

I'm just scared as all heck that Bedard gets injured in April. Then, poof! All the speculation of what we could get goes out the window.

/just our luck

I'm torn. In McPhail we trust; but at the same time, what losing has done to my mindset.

This nails it. The only reason I would worry about Bedard is because this kind of crap just happens to this organization.

That said, I trust MacPhail to make the right move.

Exactly...If we don't get the quality of package we are looking for he will not be traded...

The Tejada package have any impact, here? It may have been acceptable, it was in AM's mind the best, but it didn't wow anyone. Do you feel the FO believes we MUST get a TOP player back in any deal, at this point (Bruce, Jones, Kemp)? Or is it just acceptable quantity?

Why do you keep asking me this?

I have never said to trade Bedard just to trade him.

It all depends on the offer....I can't answer your question without knowing the offers.

Ok, I ask you that because when you say you cannot wait to trade Bedard until next AS break, as the value won't be more, your implication is he MUST be traded now. Many posters make open ended comments like this that are subject to interpretation.... I suppose I could assume your thinking is the same as you have posted in the past.... but you could change your mind so I don't what to think....

Other posters make comments like yours but don't think like you.. so I am just trying to re-confirm where you are. Not trying to hassle you, truely am interested.

I guess everybody gave up. Usually after an insider posts, the Hangout is buzzing with 600+ people, yet on the last possible day of a Roberts deal in 2007, sub 300 people are on. Doesn't bode well for anything getting done between now and Jan 2nd... :(

This is an extremely large risk to take. If you factor in his age, and the fact that last season was likely his peak, you realize the odds are not that good that he will repeat his success let alone exceed it. Also remember Mazzone who Bedard got along with is no longer here. Bedard didn't take a leap forward until Mazzone arrived, mainly because he hated every pitching coach he had. If he doesn't get along with Kranitz and he has a mechanical flaw, he may not listen to Kranitz and get shelled while trying to correct it on his own. There are many things going against Bedard to repeat let alone exceed his performance of last season and this scenario is only one of them. It's a stupid and careless risk to take, considering you could trade him now and get two future cornerstones. Why hold out for three and risk losing those two?

I know that there are many, MANY poeple on here who analyze stats and know much more about the statistical analysis of the game than I do, but this idea that players are no good after 27, 28 years of age is ridiculous! This isn't football where the average playing time is 4 or 5 years. Good baseball players play at high levels for 15-20 years. I WANT desperately to trade Bedard, but you guys who keep saying he has peaked and can only go down is just insane, in my opinion!

Same for BRob. I know it makes sense to trade him for 2 or 3 studs, but to me if we're ONLY getting 2 or 3 question marks, I would just as easily stand by him and hope he becomes another career long Oriole like Cal, Brooks, etc, just with less "numbers." Flame away!

I'm pretty happy with this type of update, it gives me hope without letting me down. I'm usually on edge all day afraid i won't hear about the trade first. That said Thanks as always BB, you are the reason that this website is worth going to. Along with Tony and the gang.

I'm definitely hoping that we sign Dotel, we need someone with some closing experience and he did quite well last year at that spot. Ofcourse if one of our young guns like Hoey, or if Sarfate show they can close too. Dotel if he does well will be a good commodity for the trade deadline.

Ok, I ask you that because when you say you cannot wait to trade Bedard until next AS break, as the value won't be more, your implication is he MUST be traded now. Many posters make open ended comments like this that are subject to interpretation.... I suppose I could assume your thinking is the same as you have posted in the past.... but you could change your mind so I don't what to think....

Other posters make comments like yours but don't think like you.. so I am just trying to re-confirm where you are. Not trying to hassle you, truely am interested.

If Jones, Clement, Sherrill and a 4th player is on the board and he doesn't make the deal, i think he is making a mistake.

If Jones, Clement, Sherrill and a 4th player is on the board and he doesn't make the deal, i think he is making a mistake.

I'll go one further, if Jones and Clement are on the table with only a third player like Tillman or Butler, he has to pull the trigger. Haren didn't net two top prospects, so the fact that Bedard can is a coup. Beane's trade of Haren hurt Bedard's value

Cueto/Bailey, Votto and Stubbs or Jones, Clement, Tillman/Butler and I pull the trigger. I will go on record as saying Bedard will not be worth these packages at the trade deadline this season. Make the deal now!

Thanks for all of your reports throughout the year and especially lately, bigbird.

A few days ago I thought I completely understood where things were. But the signals the last 10 days or so have been decidedly mixed. Solely for personal reasons, I'm disappointed we're not done with the Roberts and Bedard deals. But I have faith in our management team to exercise good judgment on when and if to trade these guys, so long as PA doesn't get in the way.

Archived