Buster Olney/ESPN slap at the Os

MachadOboutManny

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares? It's several months until Opening Day. If it was tomorrow, I might be concerned.

But not very much. Like, on a scale of 1-10...a 4, maybe?

Fortunately, DD isn't done improving the team.

You're certain of this?

They've clearly stated that Davis is our everyday 1B and that Betemit/Valencia is the platoon for DH/Utility so what else will he do using their own internal logic?

I see plenty of farm team moves, but nothing else on our major league roster.

MSK

What about the Orioles' offseason is worthy of Olney talking about? The O's taking the Yankees to the limit in the ALDS is very old news at this point.

I'm reminded of the old SNL running joke about Generalissmo Francisco Franco still being dead. "News Bulletin: The Orioles are still standing pat"

While I fully agree that analyst opinions do nothing to impact what will happen on the field, the OP isn't asking them to aknowledge some great Orioles offseason. If everything happened as he stated, then they are certainly giving the Orioles short-shrift in this scenario. They finished #2 in the AL East and had a WC spot, the network should absolutely mention how this impacts the Orioles, even if it is simply saying that the Blue Jays may be passing the Orioles who have not done much this offseason.

The biggest thing is that Buster, an old Baltimore Sun guy, couldn't crowbar the O's into the discussion. But I am with Frobby. Don't care one bit. It's ESPN for goodness sake.

I actually LOL'd pretty hard reading the mock ESPN headlines thread, something to the effect of:

"Mystery AL East team takes WC spot, how does this impact Red Sox in 2013?"

You're certain of this?

They've clearly stated that Davis is our everyday 1B and that Betemit/Valencia is the platoon for DH/Utility so what else will he do using their own internal logic?

MSK

I'm fine with Davis at first, and Betemit/RH DH. If DD finds a deal he likes to upgrade the offense, cool. If not, cool. I think we'll be good though, as is.

My concern is, and always has been, the rotation. I want another proven SP to help protect against possible regression from Hammel, Gonzalez or Chen. Saunders would be perfect, but Chris Capuano would also fit the bill.

I would be pretty shocked if DD spends the next several months making depth moves and doesn't bother upgrading the ML roster. We just might have to wait until late January to see it happen.

The man takes his time, as well he should- measure twice, cut once.

While I fully agree that analyst opinions do nothing to impact what will happen on the field, the OP isn't asking them to aknowledge some great Orioles offseason. If everything happened as he stated, then they are certainly giving the Orioles short-shrift in this scenario. They finished #2 in the AL East and had a WC spot, the network should absolutely mention how this impacts the Orioles, even if it is simply saying that the Blue Jays may be passing the Orioles who have not done much this offseason.

So far the Orioles have done nothing to capitalize on their outstanding 2012. Doing otherwise would be worth mentioning. That might garner a little more respect than a single winning season after a long, long drought - and a season fraught with statistical question marks at that. The Orioles not making impact moves during the offseason is boring and in the end it's not news, it's status quo.

So far the Orioles have done nothing to capitalize on their outstanding 2012. Doing otherwise would be worth mentioning. That might garner a little more respect than a single winning season after a long, long drought - and a season fraught with statistical question marks at that. The Orioles not making impact moves during the offseason is boring and in the end it's not news, it's status quo.

It's a slap in the face IMO. "but from there he mentioned the Yankees being quiet this offseason and Boston not doing much." You can say that they are going to mention those teams due to their histories, but that doesn't make it any less of a slap in the face considering that the Orioles finished ahead of both the Red Sox and Jays last season.

You're certain of this?

MSK

Everything you wrote here is bull. DD has not said that Davis is guaranteed the 1B position or that Betemit/Valencia is definitely the DH platoon. He's only said that they are the current internal options for those positions. He's also said that he's continuing to seek an impact bat. And, Valencia and Cassilla have significant ML experience while Robinson and Navarro are ML ready players. Several of them could end up at AAA, that is true. But, they'll be there to be called upon just like Gonzalez, McLouth, Tolleson, Hall and Ford were last season. All contributed, some a little, and others a lot. If you're going to constantly piss and moan, at least get your facts straight.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Everything you wrote here is bull. DD has not said that Davis is guaranteed the 1B position or that Betemit/Valencia is definitely the DH platoon. He's only said that they are the current internal options for those positions. He's also said that he's continuing to seek an impact bat. And, Valencia and Cassilla have significant ML experience while Robinson and Navarro are ML ready players. Several of them could end up at AAA, that is true. But, they'll be there to be called upon just like Gonzalez, McLouth, Tolleson, Hall and Ford were last season. All contributed, some a little, and others a lot. If you're going to constantly piss and moan, at least get your facts straight.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe you should get your facts in order as well.

http://blogs.bettor.com/Baltimore-Orioles-Chris-Davis-to-take-first-base-in-2013-season-MLB-News-a209059

Chris Davis, the Baltimore Orioles hitter will be at first base in the 2013 season. Chris has been playing around the field in the 2012 season including being stationed at the first base. He generally is a player placed at the first or third base.

The 26-year-old was originally drafted by the New York Yankees in 2004 in the final round of the draft by Chris did not sign. He was selected by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2005’s draft and he declined again. He was eventually signed by the Texas Rangers in the fifth round in the 2006 MLB Draft out of Navarro Junior College in Texas.

Buck Showalter, manager of the Orioles, said that Davis had been a recommended first baseman by many but he was unable to live up to the expectations in the 2012 season. Buck expects that he can change this around and do well.

“I just wanted him to know that things change,” Showalter said. “And I’ve had some really good quality people tell me he was a really good first baseman, and it just never happened.”

Chris had a not so good time at the first base in 2012. In 38 games, he committed four errors in 374 chances and pasted a fielding percentage of .989 as a first baseman.

Chris, who was replaced at the first base by Mark Reynolds during the season, himself believes that the made some errors that should have not taken place.

Also...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-12-15/sports/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-1216-20121215_1_orioles-manager-buck-showalter-nolan-reimold-orioles-defense

But earlier this month, just after the Orioles non-tendered first baseman Mark Reynolds, Davis received a phone call from Orioles manager Buck Showalter. The message: Get your first baseman's mitt ready for 2013.

Barring an offeseason move that would dictate otherwise ? the Orioles are still shopping for a power bat through the trade market ? Showalter made it clear that the 26-year-old Davis will have the opportunity to be the team's everyday first baseman.

"He said, 'We know you can play outfield if you have to, we know you can DH, but we want you to focus on first," Davis said this week. "And for Buck to give me that call that I was going to be the everyday first baseman, it was huge. It gives me a little bit of time to plan and kind of prepare myself to go out there and play 162 games at first."

Maybe you should get your facts in order as well.

Chris Davis, the Baltimore Orioles hitter will be at first base in the 2013 season. Chris has been playing around the field in the 2012 season including being stationed at the first base. He generally is a player placed at the first or third base.

The 26-year-old was originally drafted by the New York Yankees in 2004 in the final round of the draft by Chris did not sign. He was selected by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2005’s draft and he declined again. He was eventually signed by the Texas Rangers in the fifth round in the 2006 MLB Draft out of Navarro Junior College in Texas.

Buck Showalter, manager of the Orioles, said that Davis had been a recommended first baseman by many but he was unable to live up to the expectations in the 2012 season. Buck expects that he can change this around and do well.

“I just wanted him to know that things change,” Showalter said. “And I’ve had some really good quality people tell me he was a really good first baseman, and it just never happened.”

Chris had a not so good time at the first base in 2012. In 38 games, he committed four errors in 374 chances and pasted a fielding percentage of .989 as a first baseman.

Chris, who was replaced at the first base by Mark Reynolds during the season, himself believes that the made some errors that should have not taken place.

Are you serious? This is the article you choose to link? This looks like something that was written in Japanese and then translated poorly into English. What is this?

Archived