Buster Olney/ESPN slap at the Os

MachadOboutManny

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The biggest thing is that Buster, an old Baltimore Sun guy, couldn't crowbar the O's into the discussion. But I am with Frobby. Don't care one bit. It's ESPN for goodness sake.

Obviously the thread was not entirely serious, but Olney could have mentioned the Os. I find it Hilarious that people are so serious that they ranked this thread.

:scratchchinhmm:

I find it laughable when people really can't understand how someone would have something negative to say about a franchise that has been a laughing stock for a decade and a half. You wonder why the Yankees get more press than the Orioles? Well, making it to the playoffs in seventeen of the last eighteen years may have something to do with it. Winning twenty-seven or so World Series Championships may have something to do with it. I hate the Yankees with a passion, but if you honestly can't understand why people might find the Yankees to be more noteworthy than us then you are blind. I don't hear anyone one hear on hear whining about, say... the Mariners not getting enough press, only the Orioles. If you want to watch Orioles coverage then watch MASN. If you want to watch Orioles coverage on channels like ESPN then wait until the Orioles do more than make one fluke playoff appearance over a fifteen year span. Until then, the "shock and awe" just makes people look ridiculous.
I find it laughable when people really can't understand how someone would have something negative to say about a franchise that has been a laughing stock for a decade and a half. You wonder why the Yankees get more press than the Orioles? Well, making it to the playoffs in seventeen of the last eighteen years may have something to do with it. Winning twenty-seven or so World Series Championships may have something to do with it. I hate the Yankees with a passion, but if you honestly can't understand why people might find the Yankees to be more noteworthy than us then you are blind. I don't hear anyone one hear on hear whining about, say... the Mariners not getting enough press, only the Orioles. If you want to watch Orioles coverage then watch MASN. If you want to watch Orioles coverage on channels like ESPN then wait until the Orioles do more than make one fluke playoff appearance over a fifteen year span. Until then, the "shock and awe" just makes people look ridiculous.

I find it Laughable, that you took a post, that included a Dave Chappelle quote, so seriously.

:)

Do you think a conscious decision was made to specifically show the Orioles being owned by Dickey? Maybe, but I think the explanation is likely to be much more mundane.

A quick look at BBRef shows that Dickey had two games where he struck out 13 batters and none where he struck out more. One of them of course was the Orioles on June 18. Where would a producer and editor look for footage when they have a brutal deadline to meet? They would go to those games where he was most dominant and quickly grab what was most readily available, jam it in and move on because the clock is ticking. I know because I've worked in environments like this several times over the years. Possibly they made note of the fact that the Orioles were in the same division that Dickey now is, possibly not. The only other AL East opponent he faced last year was Tampa once.

It's hard to impress on people how low the threshold for acceptability is in television compared to what people reasonably expect. I wouldn't take it personally, it's probably a product of deadline pressure rather than design.

I dont think a shot was, consciously, being taken at the O's at all. The tone of the post was meant to convey that. Different crowd.

They are right, the record in one run games and bullpen success is almost impossible to duplicate.

They had a good year but a lot of the questioning is just. Teams have had good years only to fall completly off the next year. Look at the 03 Cubs. They were 5 outs from going to the WS yet never made it back with those young pitchers. Anything could happen. The O's aren't sexy on paper, either.

Reynolds

Hardy

Markakis

Arrieta

Britton

B Mat

Were all going to have to have huge years or "he finally put it all together" years for the Os to even be .500. None of those things happened.

Unlike these executives, I don't think lying low is necessarily a bad move for the Orioles. That said, I don't see DD going into 2012 without making a move, simply because lying low isn't DD's style. I'm still expecting another move, whether it's something larger and surprising, such as signing Swisher; or something smaller and tactical, like trading for Smoak. I think we're almost definitely going to bring in another starter, whether that is Saunders or someone a little pricier, like Marcum.

Kudos to DD for not running out and signing someone just to show fans and rival executives that the O's mean business. Is there any contract that a free agent has signed (other than Reynolds...) that the Orioles should have beaten?

Hamilton? Nope.

Sanchez? Nope.

Upton? Nope.

Greinke? Nope.

Hunter? Nope.

Cabrera? Nope.

Victorino? Nope.

Blanton? Nope.

Broxton? Nope.

Drew? Nope.

Guthrie? Nope.

Napoli? Nope.

Pagan? Nope.

Scutaro? Nope.

You get the idea.

It's easy to assert that the Orioles should be doing more, but what exactly should the Orioles have realistically done? As far as trades go, the Orioles didn't have the top of the rotation guys the Royals wanted and they certainly weren't going to beat the d'Arnaud offer for Dickey. Aside from letting Reynolds get away, I don't feel DD has done anything particularly worthy of criticism.

Sometimes, often times, the moves not made are the best moves. I wouldn't have wanted any of those players at the salaries they commanded. We dont have the trade pieces other teams want to land a big piece and for an average talent....."the devil you know"..

Since we have so many players that are rolls of the dice, IYO, doesn't it seam wiser to roll them and see what we really have, than to spend 25 M on Josh Hamilton, only to discover that everyone else on the team had a fluke year last season?

I don't think this is the case. I think we were an 85 W team that got lucky and won 93. But if the rotation of Hammel, Chen, Tillman GoNzo and Johnson/Britton/Saunders just pitch the same as they did last year, for a full season, we could win as many games if not more.

Absolutely.

The Blue Jays have clearly improved by leaps and bounds. Their rotation is going to be 10000% sick. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Then you get the folks that use a sabermetic scalpel to tell you why Dickey won't be dominant because of the angle of the Earth where the Rogers Centre intersects with the -WAR coefficient.

Meanwhile, they are going to win a lot more games. Bank on that.

MSK

The Blue Jays have clearly improved by leaps and bounds. Their rotation is going to be 10000% sick. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Then you get the folks that use a sabermetic scalpel to tell you why Dickey won't be dominant because of the angle of the Earth where the Rogers Centre intersects with the -WAR coefficient.

MSK

This isn't that clear to me. IF Johnson is healthy and he hasn't been, and IF Reyes knees can hold up on turf and the Jays can survive his poor defense, and IF Cabrera can perform as well off PED's off as well as he did on, IF Encarnacion can repeat, IF Buehrle can continue to defy age back in the AL East, IF Alverez and Romero can improve and Bataista and Morrow can be healthy etc. maybe. The only sure thing IMO is Dickey, I think he pitches well.

I felt like getting Buehrle, Reyes, and Bell to team that had Stanton, Nolasco, J. Johnson, Ramirez, etc. was a guaranteed improvement too. Unfortunately, that's not the way sports work.

Archived