Britt: O's have spoken with 6 teams about a MOO bat

ChaosLex

What are the Orioles going to do to respond to what the Blue Jays and other AL East teams are doing to get better?

--Stephen B., Baltimore

To answer your question frankly, not much. When Toronto first started spending big earlier this winter, Orioles manager Buck Showalter remarked that his club could continue to be "The Little Engine that Could" in the AL East. And while the Orioles' winning ways last season makes them a more attractive landing spot to free agents, the evidence in this winter's frenzy of above-market deals is clearly that it's still a money-driven world.

So why not make a deal? They're listening, and there have been talks with at least a half-dozen teams and the Orioles regarding a trade, with Baltimore seeking a middle-of-the-order bat. The problem is, as I stated above, if you take Bundy and Gausman, off the table it's significantly harder to negotiate.

There is interest in young arms that are already on the big league team -- guys like Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, Chris Tillman and Zach Britton -- although indications are Duquette wouldn't want to trade more than one. And, with the exception of Tillman, they all struggled to establish any consistency as Major League starters. Teams aren't going to trade away an impact bat for a package centered on one young pitcher with a lot to prove.

So will the Orioles be able to add the bat they sorely need? The organization is still hopeful, and Duquette did pull off some late-winter moves in 2012, including signing pitcher Wei-Yin Chen and trading for Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121217&content_id=40716276&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal&partnerId=rss_bal&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter%20

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh, I love Britt, but when will Baltimore reporters learn that Gausman is not able to be traded? Encina made this same mistake in one of his recent columns, too. Bugs the crap out of me - know your baseball rules, damnit. You're baseball reporters.

I do believe he can be a PTBNL.

Curious...what would you do if the Orioles had a winning season in 2013 without a big sexy trade or FA signing?

Hopefully learn his lesson that Buck and DD know a bit more about running a Major League baseball team than him.I surely am not holding my breath on this one though.

Archived