Orioles have talked to Tigers about Porcello...

mskrulz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL. Strop has been officially anointed as this year's version of Bergy and Berken. IOW, let's trade the guy(s) we don't want for someone else's prospects or #3/#4 starter or MOO bat.

Uhhh no. Who annointed him that? You. Strop throws near 100 mph with regularity and has silly offspeed pitches. I'm not letting a bad month sour what he did for another 4 to 5 months. He is talented guy.

I can imagine two scenarios.

1) Porcello is swapped for a member of "the Calvary" or Johnson if they like the future prospects of Procello more and the Detroit, who likes hard throwers, likes the orioles pitcher more. (Arrieta?)

2) Porcello is swapped for a number of lower prospects for the express purpose of moving one of the other young pitchers for a bat.

The only player I see Detroit having an interest in is Jim Johnson.

The Tigers would have huge interest in Jim Johnson and JJ Hardy. If they would send Porcello, Castellanos, Crosby and at least another good prospect I might get on board with that. But then, I am the guy who is always interested in young players, under control long term. Since we obviously are not going to spend big in the FA market, that is the only way to build the team for long term success.

Move Manny to SS, platoon Valencia and Flaherty at third until Castellanos is ready and get Schoop prepared to take over at second base.

The Tigers would have huge interest in Jim Johnson and JJ Hardy. If they would send Porcello, Castellanos, Crosby and at least another good prospect I might get on board with that. But then, I am the guy who is always interested in young players, under control long term. Since we obviously are not going to spend big in the FA market, that is the only way to build the team for long term success.

Move Manny to SS, platoon Valencia and Flaherty at third until Castellanos is ready and get Schoop prepared to take over at second base.

How would the O's explain trading Hardy to the fanbase? Make the playoff's for the first time in a decade and a half, then trade their gold glove SS (who signed a team friendly contract) and AS closer for a number 3/4 SP and prospect's?

How would the O's explain trading Hardy to the fanbase? Make the playoff's for the first time in a decade and a half, then trade their gold glove SS (who signed a team friendly contract) and AS closer for a number 3/4 SP and prospect's?

How do they explain to the fanbase that they are standing pat after reaching the playoffs for the first time in 14 years? Who cares, they need to make sound baseball decisions. I am ok with not signing any big ticket Free Agents, thats the way they have decided they need to conduct there business. But if you are not gonna spend money, you have to be looking to trade veteran players for younger, cost controlled players. Which is it gonna be?

How do they explain to the fanbase that they are standing pat after reaching the playoffs for the first time in 14 years? Who cares, they need to make sound baseball decisions. I am ok with not signing any big ticket Free Agents, thats the way they have decided they need to conduct there business. But if you are not gonna spend money, you have to be looking to trade veteran players for younger, cost controlled players. Which is it gonna be?

Right now they can use the "This team was good enough to make the playoff's in 2012" excuse. Having Hardy at SS is a benefit to Machado. I'm fine with Machado at 3B for a couple of season's to get his feet wet. I'm not in a big hurry to trade a GG shortstop, who's defense is a plus to an inexperienced starting rotation.

LOL. Strop has been officially anointed as this year's version of Bergy and Berken. IOW, let's trade the guy(s) we don't want for someone else's prospects or #3/#4 starter or MOO bat.

Minus the fact that Strop is significantly better than either of those pitchers. There are several people that are down on him for the last month of the season, but he was money the first four months.

Right now they can use the "This team was good enough to make the playoff's in 2012" excuse. Having Hardy at SS is a benefit to Machado. I'm fine with Machado at 3B for a couple of season's to get his feet wet. I'm not in a big hurry to trade a GG shortstop, who's defense is a plus to an inexperienced starting rotation.

Don't get me wrong. I love Hardy, the guy is an excellent SS, with a power bat to boot. I also love Jim Johnson. Thats not the point, if we don't trade good players, we won't get good players back. What I am talking about is a philosophy on how we build a good team for the long haul, and stay good without spending Dodger money, which we all know PA will not do.

Minus the fact that Strop is significantly better than either of those pitchers. There are several people that are down on him for the last month of the season, but he was money the first four months.

I just think its funny how Strop's name seems to come up (on this board) whenever a trade for someone decent is proposed.

Strop is a RP who couldn't find the plate during the playoff push. His value in the trade market is limited at best. As an analogy, can you imagine the reaction on this board if we traded Arrieta or Tillman for a slumping RP?

I can get behind this as well, except you lost me with the Valencia/Flaherty platoon. I imagine the combination of taking on Hardy and JJ's payroll would necessitate that Jhonny Peralta be included in the deal. He's got 1 yr/6MM left and would make a much better stopgap than those two. He had an atrocious year with the bat last year, but he can play some defense and has some pop. He'd be a solid bet to be an average 3B, and if he put up anything like his 2011 numbers at the plate, potentially better.

So something like Hardy and JJ for Porcello, Castellanos, Peralta, and Crosby might work. I'd want another prospect coming back our way if that were the case, but the problem is the Tigers system is pretty barren outside of Castellanos, Garcia, and Rondon at the top. For instance, they just sold their #10 prospect (by Sickels) to a Japanese team. Maybe we could get Rondon, but the best targets for that last prospect are probably SS Eugenio Suarez and OF Tyler Collins, who put up very good OBPs in A in their age 21 and 22 seasons, respecitively. For reference, Sickels has them #6 and #7; Crosby is #8.

Archived