Trade Jim Johnson!

avdeuph

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To clarify based on reactions, I am definitely not suggesting that we give him away...I consider a young promising SP (Porcello) and perhaps a B prospect as a fair-value trade for a closer who out-pitched himself last year. And again, I think we should be trading from depth for positions in need.

This thread does not understand what it takes to maintain a winner. I am positive that Buck would tell you the the bullpen's success starts with Jim Johnson. No one is untouchable but it would take a kings ransom for Buck to trade Jim Johnson. Something like a #1 starter.

So no way to trading a reliever who will throw 70'ish innings, or a potential 180 inning 3.75 ERA starter who is 24 years old and has 3 years of service time left?

Potential, potential, potential. The O's already have 7 of those starters with that potential. I am not against trading for Porcello but not for Jim Johnson.

This thread does not understand what it takes to maintain a winner. I am positive that Buck would tell you the the bullpen's success starts with Jim Johnson. No one is untouchable but it would take a kings ransom for Buck to trade Jim Johnson. Something like a #1 starter.

I think you're way overvaluing JJ here. He's good. He was great last year, but a closer is a closer. Every year at least 8 of them lose their job and few maintain the role for more than 3 yrs. I'd take a future everyday player over a "closer" every day and twice on Sunday.

I doubt he'll actually be traded, but the point is, it's the most volatile, unreliable, unpredictable role in the game. If someone wants to give you something of great value in return, I think you have to take it.

Potential, potential, potential. The O's already have 7 of those starters with that potential.

Yea yea yea, but Porcello probably has a FLOOR of a #4 starter. And there's obvious upside there. I just think that's a deal I would make. Have to make, maybe not... I could see opposing arguments. I just wouldn't agree with them, and I certainly don't agree with a stance of "no way". That's just absurd.

Porcello posted a 3.9 FIP/xFIP last year with a 1.13 GB/FB ratio and a bad infield defense behind him in Detroit. So I do suspect his 4.59 ERA would come down closer to 4, if not better next year.

So no way to trading a reliever who will throw 70'ish innings, or a potential 180 inning 3.75 ERA starter who is 24 years old and has 3 years of service time left?

I already have enough potential 24 year old arms in Norfolk. If I'm trading JJ, I want a little more potential then Porcello.

Archived