The market for Bedard is shrinking (for the moment)

Go_Os

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Reds just traded Josh Hamilton to the Rangers for Edison Volquez

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071221&content_id=2335816&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

That's a bummer to me since I REALLY wanted Hamilton, and it probably lowers the current value of Bedard since the Reds might not be as motivated to make a deal.

Time for Seattle to pony up if they really want to add that other arm. I'm of the opinion that you don't HAVE to trade Bedard.

I definately think this might put the Red's out of the running for Bedard. Volquez is a very solid prospect, and someone who could be pitching right alongside of Harang in 2009. Hamilton is now gone, who seemed to be a chip we were looking for from the Red's. I don't think at any point in time that we were asking too much for Bedard, but it seems to me like the opportunity to move him this offseason may have passed now that the M's have signed Silva and the Red's have another very good arm in addition to Bailey and Cueto to throw out there.

Who knows, Volquez may now become a part of the Reds package to us. It seems more likely than them throwing a rookie into their rotation that doesn't project to be better than Cueto or Bailey. Or, they wanted to sell high on Hamilton and add another top young pitching prospect since they know they are losing one.

Cueto or Bailey, Votto and Volquez would be really nice.

Thats what it took to get Hamilton?

I would of given Liz and Hoey or something similar for him. Hell, I remember saying last week that I would offer 1 starter not named Guthrie, Loewen, and Spoone, and any two relievers in the organization for him.

This shows we could have had Milledge for possibly Hernandez and another piece (not sure this can be confirmed) and Hamilton for something like Liz and Hoey.

Very disappointing. An organization like the Orioles need to take some risks with players that may not be the best fit chemistry-wise, but who have a ton of talent.

And no, this doesn't take away the Reds as a contender for Bedard....Volquez has good upside but he is a risky bet to be an average or better pitcher for the Reds.

It may open the Rangers to pursue Bedard more aggressively.

Who knows, Volquez may now become a part of the Reds package to us. It seems more likely than them throwing a rookie into their rotation that doesn't project to be better than Cueto or Bailey. Or, they wanted to sell high on Hamilton and add another top young pitching prospect since they know they are losing one.

Cueto or Bailey, Votto and Volquez would be really nice.

Exactly. I would have preferred Hamilton, but I don't think this kills a potential Bedard trade.

Thats what it took to get Hamilton?

I would of given Liz and Hoey or something similar for him. Hell, I remember saying last week that I would offer 1 starter not named Guthrie, Loewen, and Spoone, and any two relievers in the organization for him.

This shows we could have had Milledge for possibly Hernandez and another piece (not sure this can be confirmed) and Hamilton for something like Liz and Hoey.

Very disappointing. An organization like the Orioles need to take some risks with players that may not be the best fit chemistry-wise, but who have a ton of talent.

And no, this doesn't take away the Reds as a contender for Bedard....Volquez has good upside but he is a risky bet to be an average or better pitcher for the Reds.

It may open the Rangers to pursue Bedard more aggressively.

This is being discussed on the Reds board as well and there were rumbling a cple days ago that the rangers wanted Bedard perhaps they got Hamilton to include in the deal to the Orioles for Bedard?

I could see this either way to work for the Reds or the Rangers I guess it depends who is really serious for bedard!

Debatable. A valid point of view, but debatable. AFAIK, that's not the way AM looks at it. Personally, I doubt if the new Oriole Way is gonna feature guys who are dubious, chemistry-wise. I'd be v. surprised to see him do that. Personally, I think Hamilton is fascinating, and I don't think the risk is interpersonal chemistry, it's one guy vs. his own issues about chemistry. Regardless, I think AM is careful about how he rolls the dice. I expect he'll roll them on talent that doesn't have "issues". Not saying that's right, I just think that's what's reasonable to expect, that's all. I don't think it should be a surprise.

For better or worse, the Orioles are staying away from guys who questionable character. I agree that Milledge and Hamilton wouldn't be guys that I'm worried about character-wise though.

Its a stupid thing for us to be passing on such talented players when you are in a situation such as ours.

We could have had a Milledge and Hamilton OF, and Roberts and Bedard still right there to trade.

Milledge in CF and Hamilton in LF gives you above average to very good defense at all three OF positions and gives you above average to great offensive production from all 3 OF positions.

We missed out on a big opportunity. Even just Hamilton would of an excellent addition.

Archived