The market for Bedard is shrinking (for the moment)

Go_Os

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first reaction was this is not a good thing, however the idea of this deal being a pre-cursor for THE Bedard deal has merit.

Texas can still get Bedard and Texas seems to have solidified themselves as viable trade partners were they so inclined.

Please explain to me who we'd get back. Thanks.;)

Please explain to me who we'd get back. Thanks.;)

I don't believe that this trade was a setup deal to have one of these teams get Bedard, however, again, it is a viable possibility.

Well one thing for sure is... all anyone can do is speculate. Who could we get? Hmmm...

Cincy sends Bailey or Cueto, Votto, Stubbs.

Texas sends Hamilton, Hurley and Davis.

Guesses certainly...

Hopefully this forces AM to forget about Bruce ever getting traded and focus on Votto and one of Bailey/Cueto, which would be a superb haul IMO.

I think AM is still stuck on what he got for Tejada's deal (quantity) and expects/expected the same from other teams.

I don't believe that this trade was a setup deal to have one of these teams get Bedard, however, again, it is a viable possibility.

Well one thing for sure is... all anyone can do is speculate. Who could we get? Hmmm...

Cincy sends Bailey or Cueto, Votto, Stubbs.

Texas sends Hamilton, Hurley and Davis.

Guesses certainly...

Well, if that would be a possibility in the making, I wouldn't do this deal.:)

BTW, i don't see how this hurts any Bedard to the Reds deal....We were never apparently interested in Hamilton and them getting another very good young arm may indicate they are getting ready to make a deal.

It just makes it less likely that Bruce is dealt. I never thought there was a chance of us getting him anyhow, so I tend to agree with you that if AM is willimg to do a deal without Bruce.

Exactly, what about the Reds using those two pitchers to now deal further with us?

Or perhaps the Reds have gone the Dodgers route, and decided to stick with their young players instead.

My apologies for playing devil advocate. I'm just really, really frustrated right now.

Or perhaps the Reds have gone the Dodgers route, and decided to stick with their young players instead.

My apologies for playing devil advocate. I'm just really, really frustrated right now.

No I hear ya - and as the NL GM said at the Winter Meetings - you can do that in the NL and still have a shot. Not like that in the AL

If Cinn. was willing to deal Hamilton for E.V., they most certainly would have been willing to move him for Bedard, so it stands to reason A.M. was not interested in Hamilton, or did not like the package when Hamilton was included. Since A.M. seems to prefer stockpiling quality arms at this point, and it would be better to not have Bedard in the league if at all possible, then it looks as though Cinn. has moved their extra OF that they got for nothing for some value, and have set themselves up to be able to meet A.M.'s demands of multiple quality arms. Everything is progressing quite nicely, if you ask me. Now the pressure is on Sea. or somebody else to beat what Cinn. can offer. Bedard is a rediculously valuable commodity, it takes more time to extract the right price when the price is high. I am really confident that we have someone in charge who knows what he wants to do and how to get it done. When you look at it, we really have no organizational depth, pitching-wise or position-wise, to say that one or two hot prospects would really make a difference. Really no one at 1B, SS, 2B, CF even 2 years out. And our much-heralded young pitching has been spotty. So you have to get a bunch of quality arms if you can, let that sort itself out while you develop or acquire hitters. The price of league-average pitching is insane. A.M. has been a real turning point in my attitude towards the Orioles. I have been a fan for 38 years and last year I had just decided that this was just not a fun team to watch or root for anymore. Having someone in charge with a good plan and the ability to carry it out over the next few years gives me reason to want to be a part of it, to enjoy the transformation from dinosaur to dynamic.

Archived