The market for Bedard is shrinking (for the moment)

Go_Os

I find it peculiar that a team could be chasing an ace like Bedard and instead decide to go with a Kuroda or a Volquez (or a Carlos Silva, though reports are that the M's wanted 2 pitchers anyway). They are entirely different commodities.

You have to believe the Orioles were asking what was perceived to be too high a price to pay, even for Bedard. If they were willing to accept a reasonable package, you have to believe one of these teams would have met a reasonable price.

Silva stinks!

Kuroda is an unknown (likely mid-rotation starter)

Volquez has disappointed each chance he has received with the Rangers and is no better bet to help the Reds than either of their other top young pitchers.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad farm system. Doesn't have the IT prospect, but a whole lot that could be interesting. My only problem is wouldn't we want a player like

Volquez in the deal instead of Hamilton? Seems like BB as been always implying we are looking acquiring pitchers.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/11/24/124548/25

# Taylor Teagarden, C, Grade B+ (would be a Grade A- if not for injury history)

# Eric Hurley, RHP, Grade B+

# Elvis Andrus, SS, Grade B+

# Chris Davis, 3B, Grade B+

# Matt Harrison, LHP, Grade B+

# Michael Main, RHP, Grade B

# John Mayberry Jr, OF, Grade B

# Kasey Kiker, LHP, Grade B

# Max Ramirez, C, Grade B

# German Duran, 2B, Grade B

# Omar Poveda, RHP, Grade B

# Neftali Feliz, RHP, Grade B-

# Blake Beavan, RHP, Grade B-

# Brandon Boggs, OF, Grade C+

# Johnny Whittleman, 3B, Grade C+

# Julio Borbon, OF, Grade C+

# Tommy Hunter, RHP, Grade C+

# Armando Galarraga, RHP, Grade C+

# Neil Ramirez, RHP, Grade C+

# Brennan Garr, RHP, Grade C+

It's amazing the highs and lows we've been through in just the last few weeks.

It's an example of MacPhail being too greedy. It's Miguel Tejada all over again. Bedard is going to be worse than last season or hurt and we either trade him for less or watch him walk. You know it's going to happen. That's what you get for waiting... :rolleyes:

Nah... it's just an example of what it says in the bottom half of my sig, that's all ;-)

Thats what it took to get Hamilton?

I would of given Liz and Hoey or something similar for him. Hell, I remember saying last week that I would offer 1 starter not named Guthrie, Loewen, and Spoone, and any two relievers in the organization for him.

This shows we could have had Milledge for possibly Hernandez and another piece (not sure this can be confirmed) and Hamilton for something like Liz and Hoey.

Very disappointing. An organization like the Orioles need to take some risks with players that may not be the best fit chemistry-wise, but who have a ton of talent.

And no, this doesn't take away the Reds as a contender for Bedard....Volquez has good upside but he is a risky bet to be an average or better pitcher for the Reds.

It may open the Rangers to pursue Bedard more aggressively.

I agree with the whole post, would have been great to have gotten at least one of Hamilton/Milledge considering the price wasn't steep at all.

I agree with the whole post, would have been great to have gotten at least one of Hamilton/Milledge considering the price wasn't steep at all.

You are making the assumption that AM wanted Hamilton and that Cincy wanted Liz or Liz/Hoey (or some other player of equal value).

Sometimes teams target specific players. It is possible that Cincy GM/Scouts really went after Volquez because they wanted him.

Not all teams value players the same. For all we know, Cincy goal was to get the best young mlb ready SP prospect and they value Volquez way more than any SP we were willing to part with.

I think most trades are negotiations directly with the team that has what specific player that a team wants, as opposed to an "open bid".

We may not have even had a shot at Hamilton for all we know.

I dont think this keeps the Reds from making a Bedard deal.I think it just makes it easier to include Bailey or Cueto in a deal.Volquez will not be flipped by the Reds.I just think WK made this deal to make it easier on him to deal one of there 2 young pitchers.I think if the Reds and O's do make a deal it will include Cueto,Votto,and 2 other minorleague players.

I say this because it makes a lot of sense if you look at it from a Reds stand point.They have Hatteberg to play first next season.Then the Reds are planning on signing Dunn to a long term deal.I say he sign to be a first baseman not a left fielder.So there is Vottos replacement.Then they just traded for Volquez to take Cuetos place as a young up and coming pitcher.So that takes care of those 2.Then say they add a Maloney and Stubbs to the deal.They can draft guys to replace those guys.If I had to say anything I think this opens up the Reds more to make a deal for Bedard.I can see a Reds and O's Bedard trade on the horizion,well I hope I can anyway.

Any chance Cincinnati knows something no one else would know? Any chance Hamilton had a relapse? Maybe there trying to get anything for him before the news gets out? Just speculating.

From the Cincy perspective, I don't think so. Its just a case of the Reds looking for some young pitching and another team needing an outfielder which we happen to have plenty of right now. I'm very bummed out that Josh will be gone but the potential for both of these young pitchers sounds pretty decent. I think Josh will tear it up in Texas and hey, I can still root for him too. I hope he builds on what he did last year and has an outstanding season next year. I am happy that it looks like Jay Bruce has a CF job with the big club if he wants it next season though. Go Jay! :)

I dont think this keeps the Reds from making a Bedard deal.I think it just makes it easier to include Bailey or Cueto in a deal.Volquez will not be flipped by the Reds.I just think WK made this deal to make it easier on him to deal one of there 2 young pitchers.I think if the Reds and O's do make a deal it will include Cueto,Votto,and 2 other minorleague players.

I say this because it makes a lot of sense if you look at it from a Reds stand point.They have Hatteberg to play first next season.Then the Reds are planning on signing Dunn to a long term deal.I say he sign to be a first baseman not a left fielder.So there is Vottos replacement.Then they just traded for Volquez to take Cuetos place as a young up and coming pitcher.So that takes care of those 2.Then say they add a Maloney and Stubbs to the deal.They can draft guys to replace those guys.If I had to say anything I think this opens up the Reds more to make a deal for Bedard.I can see a Reds and O's Bedard trade on the horizion,well I hope I can anyway.

I'm 100% in agreement with all of this.

Volquez cushions the loss of Bailey or Cueto.

Hatteberg makes Votto expendable.

Cueto/Bailey, Votto, Stubbs + 1 is a very logical and reasonable framework.

And MacPhail likely didn't want Hamilton in the first place.

I don't see this Rangers deal pushing the Reds further from Bedard. I see it drawing them closer.

Archived