The market for Bedard is shrinking (for the moment)

Go_Os

Man...I've been talking about Maloney for a while now!

Check out this guy's stats. He looks like he'd be about ready to step into our rotation by mid-season next year.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Matt-Maloney.shtml

Yeah !!!! And he seems to be "flying under the radar". He isn't being hyped much.

He would be a real solid third piece. Stubbs would be nice too as a 4th. He may develop into a monster. Someone on here mentioned that Jordan likes him and wanted to draft him but the Reds nabbed him first.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah !!!! And he seems to be "flying under the radar". He isn't being hyped much.

He would be a real solid third piece. Stubbs would be nice too as a 4th. He may develop into a monster. Someone on here mentioned that Jordan likes him and wanted to draft him but the Reds nabbed him first.

I think Cueto, Votto, Maloney, and Stubbs for Bedard and a reliever is a darn good trade....and I'd do it NOW!

I agree.

I personally like Cueto, Bailey, and Maloney as pitching prospects more than Volquez. It is a puzzling deal. Why not just hold back Maloney ? If Bruce isn't ready yet, Hamilton would be a good fallback. Maybe their scouts really like Volquez. Dare I say- maybe they know something about Hamilton that scares them. ??

I would take Cueto, Votto, Maloney, Stubbs in a heatbeat.

Hopefully, Maloney and Stubbs are ticketed for Baltimore and not Volquez.

Is that deal better than the one for Haren? Note not including the additional player Connor Robertson the A's included.

Cueto > Brett Anderson - depends on what you want, high risk/reward (Cueto) or a possible mlb starter (Anderson)

Votto > Carlos Gonzo - depends on what you want, high risk/reward (Gonzo) or a possible mlb starter (Votto)

Stubbs = Cunningham

Maloney > Greg Smith, Eveland, Chris Carter?

Man...I've been talking about Maloney for a while now!

Check out this guy's stats. He looks like he'd be about ready to step into our rotation by mid-season next year.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Matt-Maloney.shtml

Seems like the numbers maybe a little deceptive of abilities, but Sickels likes him.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/12/7/16485/6608

# Jay Bruce, OF, Grade A (I'm not worried about the strikeouts given his age and performance)

# Johnny Cueto, RHP, Grade A-

# Joey Votto, 1B, Grade A-

# Homer Bailey, RHP, Grade B+

# Todd Frazier, SS-3B, Grade B+

# Matthew Maloney, LHP, Grade B (I have always liked him, has component marks of a power pitcher not a finesse guy even though he doesn't throw hard)

# Devin Mesoraco, C, Grade B

# Drew Stubbs, OF, Grade B-

# Neftali Soto, SS-3B, Grade B-

# Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Grade B- (a long way off but a good intuitive feeling)

# Daniel Dorn, OF, Grade B- (major sleeper)

# Jared Burton, RHP, Grade C+

# Tyler Pelland, LHP, Grade C+

# Pedro Viola, LHP, Grade C+ (sleeper!)

# Travis Wood, LHP, Grade C+ (health??)

# Josh Roenicke, RHP, Grade C+

# Scott Carroll, RHP, Grade C+

# Chris Valaika, INF, Grade C+

# Adam Rosales, 1B, Grade C+

# Sean Watson, RHP, Grade C+

# Brandon Waring, 3B, Grade C+ (the strikeouts scare me)

I agree...Those are big voids and certainly a problem.

I would try to get McLouth in a deal with the Pirates....Maybe a McLouth/Wilson for Ramon and a prospect or 2 deal would work???

Stubbs could be our CFer. He is athletic enough and has good speed to play the position.

I think people are asking for way too much in terms of return for Bedard. Teams just are not willing to trade two top fifty prospects for one player. We saw this with the Dodgers (Kemp/Kershaw/Laroche) and have heard about this with the Mariners (Jones/Clement/Morrow/Balentin).

Look at the Marlins/Tigers deal. The Tigers traded two top fifty prospects, the number 3rd and 10th ranked tiger's prospects, and two throw ins for two of the more prominent names on the trade market in Cabrera and Willis.

I see deals on here where people are asking for two top fifty prospects (Cueto/Bailey and Votto) and the number 6th and 8th ranked Reds prospects (Maloney and Stubbs). Is the difference between Bedard and Willis/Cabrera really only two throw ins?

I'd like to see the O's explore a deal with the Rangers. I've always been a big fan of Elvis Andrus and see him becoming a special player. A deal centered aroung Andrus, Hamilton, Blalock and one of the young pitchers (Hurley/Kiker/Beavan) would be very tempting. Blalock is bound to break out one of these years so simply sell high in a year or two and replace him with Rowell/Snider.

FWIW, Wayne Krivsky mentioned Maloney at Redsfest during the GM/manager 'question and answer' segment of the weekend and the only other minor league pitchers he mentioned when asked about the pitching depth for the Reds were Cueto and Bailey. I think the Reds are pretty high on him (he's been mentioned in a few articles lately about the Reds young pitching depth) so I'm not so sure about the Reds dealing two youngish starting pitchers in one deal for anyone. The Orioles are trying to stockpile a bunch of young arms and the Reds have been doing the same thing recently. A few of those could be in the rotation this year. That's something Wayne will need to figure out and he may not even know more about that until closer to spring training. They could be setting things up to make a statement in 2008 with an eye on competing hardcore in 2009. I just don't know right now. My head is spinning from a horrible week at work and too many trade things online this week. I'm glad I'll be away from the computer for a while during the holiday weekend, LOL :eek:

Is a Teagarden, Andrus, Davis, and Hurley way too much to expect Bedard? Maybe a Millar throw in or something could get this done...All this speculation is getting to me and I think when the Warehouse shuts off it might be for me to take a little "cool off" break.

You are making the assumption that AM wanted Hamilton and that Cincy wanted Liz or Liz/Hoey (or some other player of equal value).

Sometimes teams target specific players. It is possible that Cincy GM/Scouts really went after Volquez because they wanted him.

Not all teams value players the same. For all we know, Cincy goal was to get the best young mlb ready SP prospect and they value Volquez way more than any SP we were willing to part with.

I think most trades are negotiations directly with the team that has what specific player that a team wants, as opposed to an "open bid".

We may not have even had a shot at Hamilton for all we know.

How do you figure I am making that assumption??? I'm talking about what I would want, not what AM may want. And of course we had a shot at Hamilton, if not by trading one of our prospects, by trading Bedard.

Archived