Nick Swisher's Bat Fits Us Like a Glove (Update: Indians sign Swisher)

Frobby

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what is being said here is he is a fit except for:

1) He is too expensive

2) He costs a pick

3) His showboating style does not fit with the Showalter style

4) He probably would not want to be the DH which is where the O's would want him

So the conclusion is he does not fit and will not be signed by the O's. For this I feel blessed.

1)The only point that I may agree with is he is too expensive and we don't even know what he costs. One thing we can agree upon is that his options are slimming. This does not always mean that that price comes down though as we have seen in the past.

2)He does cost us a pick but that's a later first round pick and we have an extra pick that the MLB has given us. This should not stop us from improving our team. I mean is that pick more valubale then what it would take to get a similar player via trade?

3)Say what you want abour Swisher's showboating, the guys a gamer and that style plays alot better when he is on your team. The truth is that his teammates like him and we could use a fiery guy in our locker room.

4)And lastly Swisher can play first, OF, and DH. He will see the field plenty. He is great insurance at first base if Davis struggles or in the OF it McClouth regresses or Markakis can't stay healthy.

So it really comes down to you not liking him or he's just too expensive for us. He's a great fit! However is makes too much sense so I doubt we do it!

1)The only point that I may agree with is he is too expensive and we don't even know what he costs. One thing we can agree upon is that his options are slimming. This does not always mean that that price comes down though as we have seen in the past.

2)He does cost us a pick but that's a later first round pick and we have an extra pick that the MLB has given us. This should not stop us from improving our team. I mean is that pick more valubale then what it would take to get a similar player via trade?

3)Say what you want abour Swisher's showboating, the guys a gamer and that style plays alot better when he is on your team. The truth is that his teammates like him and we could use a fiery guy in our locker room.

4)And lastly Swisher can play first, OF, and DH. He will see the field plenty. He is great insurance at first base if Davis struggles or in the OF it McClouth regresses or Markakis can't stay healthy.

So it really comes down to you not liking him or he's just too expensive for us. He's a great fit! However is makes too much sense so I doubt we do it!

I feel sure that the FO won't be getting Swisher. IMO

Coming into this thread, I was prepared to bash Swisher by looking at splits and stats.

Sadly, after researching for a bit, I realized that he really would be a very good fit for the Orioles.

You just can't. He is Mr. Consistency. I'm really shocked at how close his Home and Road splits are.

Been advocating Swisher for a while. Grinning pumpkin face and all...

Preferably 3 years, 4 years max and I don't care about the budget hit up to 4/60. DD has to have some budget reserves at this point because he has to be prepared to take on some salary if a trade goes down. The reserves probably wouldn't fully cover Swisher's cost, but somebody around the warehouse has to have PA's phone number. If some other team wants to give Swisher five years or more money I would move on, however.

I agree with RVAbird about this being a year where the 1st round pick can be successfully punted and I like the idea of keeping our pitching depth even though I would happily trade one of the cavalry for the right bat.

Yep, I hate him worse than anyone...and I only watched the ALCS to see him fail. I absolutely loved the line-drive that he misplayed that went right past his glove. I have stated in the past that I would stop watching baseball if he signed with the O's. However, I think that I would learn to like him. I'm a Giants fan, and I loved Shockey when he played for them, and now I can't stand him.

1) His options are not slim enough to fall to the O's. He visited Cleveland and reportedly came away with a multi year offer. Some reports say for around 13M a year which is what a qualifying offer was in FA.

2) Draft choices - The problem here is you don't believe DD. He says he is building through the draft. Either he is lying or he is not trading his top draft choice.

3) There are reports that Swisher was not liked in the Yankee clubhouse.

4) The question is not how many positions can he plays. The question is will he sign with a team if he does not have a defined role in the field at the OF or 1B.

1) His options are not slim enough to fall to the O's. He visited Cleveland and reportedly came away with a multi year offer. Some reports say for around 13M a year which is what a qualifying offer was in FA.

2) Draft choices - The problem here is you don't believe DD. He says he is building through the draft. Either he is lying or he is not trading his top draft choice.

4) The question is not how many positions can he plays. The question is will he sign with a team if he does not have a defined role in the field at the OF or 1B.

I don't think that it would be fair to say that DD lied if he were to sign a qualified FA and give up the 1.24 pick. Given his druthers, I think it is clear that DD would like to keep the pick, but if the right situation and deal came along, I don't think his desire to build through the draft is so etched in stone that he would not give up a draft pick under any circumstances. Now, whether Swisher is a guy that he would make an exception to his basic philosophy or not is another question., but I don't see this particular point as being an absolute deal-killer. Your points 1,3, and 4 are bigger issues, in my view. I think the Laroche/Morse situation with the Nationals is the dam holding back some transactions right now. Once that gets resolved, one way or the other, I think some trades/signings by several teams will follow fairly close behind.

1) 100% worth that deal. I make the same offer and hope he wants to play for a winner. Up it a little if that's what it takes.

2) I agree that's what DD says but that doesn't make it smart in this instance. MLB gave us a free pick. What's more valuable a late first rounder or what we have to give up in a trade? This isn't our traditional Top-5 pick anymore.

3) Dont know where you heard that. Everything I hear is that he's a great team guy and several O's would strongly advocate his signing.

4) Give him a defined role in LF. McClouth is a great 4th OF and this will give us way more flexibility when/if other scenarios arise.

I'm not arguing we ARE going to get him I'm arguing that it IS a great fit!

I think I would be cheering for the win, but not him. I can't think of another player since Pete Rose I loath more.

I can understand the Rose dislike. As for Swisher that dislike well

that is your choice and that is fine. We will just have to

agree to disagree on Swisher.

It's my opinion. We don't have to agree to both be correct. I think he is a cocky and arrogant douche. Some will agree with me, some won't.

1) 100% worth that deal. I make the same offer and hope he wants to play for a winner. Up it a little if that's what it takes.

2) I agree that's what DD says but that doesn't make it smart in this instance. MLB gave us a free pick. What's more valuable a late first rounder or what we have to give up in a trade? This isn't our traditional Top-5 pick anymore.

3) Dont know where you heard that. Everything I hear is that he's a great team guy and several O's would strongly advocate his signing.

4) Give him a defined role in LF. McClouth is a great 4th OF and this will give us way more flexibility when/if other scenarios arise.

I'm not arguing we ARE going to get him I'm arguing that it IS a great fit!

http://nesn.com/2012/08/alex-rodriguez-voted-phoniest-mlb-player-by-peers-while-yankee-teammate-ranks-second/

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/06/aj-pierzynski-most-hated-player/1#.UNXx15huH0c

Archived