Nick Swisher's Bat Fits Us Like a Glove (Update: Indians sign Swisher)

Frobby

I've been high on Swisher for a while. Like Frobby's OP, high OBP, power, switch hitter, flexibility in three positions for us. One of the biggest things for me is this:

That's the number of games the last 7 years. Steady as a rock and not breaking down (yet) at all.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the market hasn't played out the way he wanted it to. If the big boys don't get involved with him and up to this point they haven't than to me I would make a strong push to go get him. I was worried all along a big market team would make a run at him and up to this point they haven't. I didn't want him if we had to get into a bidding war but if Cleveland winds up being his best offer and we don't make a run I would be disappointed.

Let's say next year Reimold struggles he could always be an option to go back to the outfield even if he plays first this year. We have this core now for the next handfull of years we should try to put as much around those players as possible.

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Nick Swisher giving serious consideration to 4-year$52mm offer from Indians....preferred LAD,LAA,NYY because of wife acting but not avail

Looks like if the Os want him, they will have to overpay... so we can pretty much assume this is not happening...

whos next?

The Indians again? Hmmm, they seem to be making a bit of a splash this offseason. With the Royals improving also, that leaves the poor Twins (who just got robbed of two high quality CF's) with no hope for the immediate future.

The Indians again? Hmmm, they seem to be making a bit of a splash this offseason. With the Royals improving also, that leaves the poor Twins (who just got robbed of two high quality CF's) with no hope for the immediate future.

Swisher went to Ohio State and thus has some Ohio roots.

If he would sign for that here I would match it in a heartbeat. To me that isn't overpaying. Baltimore is closer to NY than Cleveland is. I have wanted him all along but had no interest if it got to a 5yr 65M plus type deal. I don't think that is a crazy deal at all myself.

Yeah I agree with all of this. Match the offer. Baltimore is a more likely contender and the city is closer to NY for acting. I'd be glad to have Swisher at 4/52.

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Nick Swisher giving serious consideration to 4-year$52mm offer from Indians....preferred LAD,LAA,NYY because of wife acting but not avail

Looks like if the Os want him, they will have to overpay... so we can pretty much assume this is not happening...

whos next?

Why would the O's have to overpay? If the Indians were the only team offering 4/52 I guarantee if the O's just matched that, he'd be an Oriole. Unless your saying 13M per is overpaying? If so, I strongly disagree, with the current contracts being handed out.

Why would the O's have to overpay? If the Indians were the only team offering 4/52 I guarantee if the O's just matched that, he'd be an Oriole. Unless your saying 13M per is overpaying? If so, I strongly disagree, with the current contracts being handed out.

I'm not do sure. Swisher is from Parkersburg, WV and went to Ohio State. And he'd be a full time OF in Cleveland.

I agree with all of this. If we match this offer he comes to a winner, this year. CLE is farther off. I'd rather do three years but I'd go four.

D in thAfter reading a bunch of the replies on here, it's obvious that most people would probably sell their own mother to pick up a couple more wins. Here's my problem(s) with Swisher: he's incredibly arrogant, he strikes out too much, he's incredibly arrogant, he's only an average 1st baseman, he's unbelievably arrogant, we don't need him bumbling around in the outfield, he's headcase and Buck would never put up with his BS anyway. Show some class Baltimore fans, don't even start down that road....eventually you'll be asking for pinstripes on the unies because someone t:old you that they might win 3 more games per year.

I'm not do sure. Swisher is from Parkersburg, WV and went to Ohio State. And he'd be a full time OF in Cleveland.

From Swishers perspective, i'd think playing for the Orioles would be better for him. The Indians have no shot in that division. It seems he is trying to please his wife too. Baltimore vs Cle? Heck, they used Baltimore as the setting for a movie that was about Cle. Its no comparison ;).

That said, if money is equal I think Baltimore would win. DD did meet with Swishers reps at the winter meetings. Had to atleast be some interest then.

From Swishers perspective, i'd think playing for the Orioles would be better for him. The Indians have no shot in that division. It seems he is trying to please his wife too. Baltimore vs Cle? Heck, they used Baltimore as the setting for a movie that was about Cle. Its no comparison ;).

That said, if money is equal I think Baltimore would win. DD did meet with Swishers reps at the winter meetings. Had to atleast be some interest then.

Yes, DD was interested at the winter meetings. He was interested in getting McLouth to sign and wanted to show some competition for the LF spot.

Yes, DD was interested at the winter meetings. He was interested in getting McLouth to sign and wanted to show some competition for the LF spot.

If I were McLouth and I was told I had to sign a $2 million contract or the Orioles would turn around and spend at least 25 times as much on a different player then I would immediately increase my asking price fivefold and point out what a bargain they were still getting. ;)

So far DD has given every indication that he's an opportunist and none of us know what the budget really is, only what he has indicated for public consumption that it is. It may be unlikely, but I think it's too early to completely count out Swisher.

Archived