Article that explains the off season (problems)

MemorialStadKid

Well, the problem is, what if we're coming off a 90 win season entering his walk year? That's the kind of situation where surplus value means less than production.

The only possible way any player can benefit your organization is by putting up numbers for you. A year of a 4 WAR catcher and a sandwich pick may simply be worth more at a given point in time than a good prospect package.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the problem is, what if we're coming off a 90 win season entering his walk year? That's the kind of situation where surplus value means less than production.

The only possible way any player can benefit your organization is by putting up numbers for you. A year of a 4 WAR catcher and a sandwich pick may simply be worth more at a given point in time than a good prospect package.

Yes, this is better than I was stating it.

Well, Bourn on a one year deal would be pretty great value, and we'd either have a good shot to extend him or get the pick back at the end of the season.

Does the qualifying offer amount go up next year? Even if not, with the trouble Bourn is having finding a deal, im not sure hed turn down 13M. Would the Orioles even take the chance offering one? Im all for it if DD is comfortable with Bourn. Does AJ go to LF?

Does the qualifying offer amount go up next year? Even if not, with the trouble Bourn is having finding a deal, im not sure hed turn down 13M. Would the Orioles even take the chance offering one? Im all for it if DD is comfortable with Bourn. Does AJ go to LF?

If he has a good season and somehow accepts the offer, then we get him back for another great one-year deal.

IIRC, the qualifying offer is based on the average amount of the highest paid 125 players. I would assume the average could head up close to $14M next year.

Bourn is the better OF, but I don't see that happening.

BTW, this thread had everything. Arguments, bannings, apologies, people chatting like old friends who were ready to kill each other earlier in the thread, baseball talk, reinstatement. This is one epic thread so I thought I'd at least get one post in it. ;)

And Bikinis.

Just got caught up on this thread and all I can say is "wow." And here I was avoiding it because I thought it was just another boring "we never spend gobs of money" whine fest. Silly me.

This is what I expect. Wildbillhiccup is always on DrinkinWithFermi's case about platoons, but I'm with Fermi. We have most of the pieces to really make it work. I expect Dan to pull of some deal or deals to get just the right piece(s) to make it click. Like you said, out of leftfield.

I'm not even a huge fan of platoons, generally speaking. I just think it's the best strategy for us right now since we already have Betemit, and based on what's available in free agency(good but not elite players already in their 30s that cost draft picks and want 3-5 year deals) and the apparently sky high asking prices for possible trade targets like Willingham or Butler(even though it seems like both of those guys are off the block for now). If we didn't already have the MEAT MAN, I wouldn't be in favor of creating a platoon just to save some cash. But we do have him. And he kills RHPs. And his best position is no position. And it just so happens that we need a solution at DH since Davis is ostensibly the full-time first baseman...

Makes sense to me.

And I'm not too worried about WBH, and his anti-platoon, anti-DWF stance. The guy's kind of crazy- He fervently believes that platoons don't work and refuses to acknowledge evidence that they sometimes do(Roenicke/Lowenstein, the 2012 A's, etc.), AND he wanted to trade Bundy+ for Chase Headley.

Let him hate. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived