Joe Saunders update

wildcard

Right, but how has any of that increased the value of our guys? I know what you are trying to say but my point is that any combination of Arrieta, Britton, Matusz or even Tillman doesn't seem to be overwhelming anyone.

I'm talking about trading partners not FA.

Overwhelm? Probably not. But it depends on what the other team is looking for at the time.

KC was looking for a #1 starter. The O's young starters didn't fit what they wanted.

But what the Nats may want for Morse is cheap, optionable, young pitchers to store at AAA until injuries hit. Or a lefthanded reliever like Patton or Matusz. The Nats may value what the O's have to offer. KC didn't.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Frobby's right, Saunders is signed by the end of the week. Let's get him on board and move forward, the other options for adding

vet starters aren't attractive enough to let it drag on. I'm ok with 2 guaranteed years, but more comfortable with 1 and a vested option based

on performance. He's a solid 3/4 starter, get er done.

If Saunders is looking at 1 year deals, then I suspect the O's would have to overpay some. If your a SP where would you rather play if essentially your pitching for a bigger contract in 2014? Petco or OPACY? Maybe Joe wants multi years from the O's for that very reason. He may take 1/8 from SD over 2/14 from Baltimore.

If Saunders is looking at 1 year deals, then I suspect the O's would have to overpay some. If your a SP where would you rather play if essentially your pitching for a bigger contract in 2014? Petco or OPACY? Maybe Joe wants multi years from the O's for that very reason. He may take 1/8 from SD over 2/14 from Baltimore.

I think teams know about park effects.

If I'm Saunders choosing between 1/8 and 2/14, and the 2/14 is coming from a team with a manager that obviously has a lot of faith in me, it's a no

brainer to take the 2/14, Petco or no Petco.

Not saying they don't. But you think Joe going 8-12 with an ERA of 4.35 in Bal gets him the same or more than going 12-8 with a 3.85 in SD? I guess the Angels know more about park factors then Philly did.

I don't think he gets an appreciably better contract. Not sure why you would think he would have more wins in SD?

I don't think he gets an appreciably better contract. Not sure why you would think he would have more wins in SD?

Playing in the NL, bigger parks. SD came on late last year and have a decent team themselves. If Joe gave them a sub 4.00 ERA, I think 12 is reasonable. Just not sure Joe gets 12 in the AL East. Chin had a real good year and got 12.

He may want to stay on the east coast and Baltimore since he's from Virginia.

Realistically, how big/long of a contract do you think Joe would be expecting in 2014? If he was a 12 game winner, with average/slightly above average

numbers in either SD or with us, he's probably still looking at another very modest one or two year contract. I still say it's a no brainer for him to go with

the team that not only offers him 2 years but had enough faith in him to give him the ball in a do or die playoff situation.

IMO, if the Orioles really wanted Joe they would have signed him by now. I think he will sign somewhere this next week also, but I doubt it is with us. I think he is getting a little appreciation from some other teams right now, and will sign with one of them soon. Time will tell.

Archived