Joe Saunders update

wildcard

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were they both free agents? I know Tek was at the end. But I thought they extended with their clubs.

You didn't specify free agents deals.

I know Weaver extended before hitting free agency, not sure about Vek the first time.

It still shows that ultimately the player is in charge, not Boras.

Yep. Unfortunately, his bat hasn't come around enough to justify moving him to 1B. As good as Wieters is defensively, he may be more valuable as a trade chip.

Depends on where the team is at the time. If they are in a position to make the playoffs I would rather keep him and take the draft pick. I would certainly love to have him accept the qualifying offer.

One guy I'm sure is kicking himself over declining the qualifying offer is Rafael Soriano. $13 guaranteed million next year would have been great for him. I can't imagine anybody surrendering a draft pick to sign him.

What is shocking about Soriano is the he did take the offer (arbitration) back in 2009.

Just curious. Can a team avoid giving up the pick by giving a guy a MiL deal? Could the Orioles give Lohse a MiL deal, and like a huge incentive if he makes the team? I would look up but it's a pain on my phone.

No idea if that loophole exists but I don't think the league would approve a contract of that sort.

We need Saunders in a bad way. Get it done. We also need a #1 SP, MOO bat, a 2nd baseman, but I digress....

Bad way? Sign him on our terms that does not handicap team in future. If he can get a better deal elsewhere then I wish him the best of luck

Go get Saunders now, solidify the rotation with some quality veteran depth. (Important note: this is not a pessimistic post, it is a reality check regarding the optimism toward our starting pitching)

Give him two years: the worst thing that happens is he performs poorly and we waste under 7-8 million in his second year by trading for prospects or sending him to the bullpen. Not a franchise-crippling mistake. Most likely scenario he performs at career average for both years and gives us an anchor a la Wei Yin Chen to rely upon.

If you think about it, we really don't have a single pitcher who we can say, "we know what he will give us next year." We have A LOT of optimism, but not a lot of security. And that's my main point here, not that I think all the pitchers will bomb out, but that we don't have security in the rotation.

Hammel? Career-year 2012, with some seemingly unsustainable and "flukey" statistics, poised for potential regression (though hopefully minimal).

Chen? First year in MLB, possibly regression coming due the "book being out."

Tillman? Half of a successful MLB season. Velocity fluctuates, control fluctuates. Looks great right now but certainly not a lock to succeed in 2013.

Gonzalez? I am most optimistic about him, but similar to Chen in the early service in the MLB.

Johnson? Not enough starts to judge appropriately.

Bundy? Young, still raw, probably not ready for one more year.

Britton? Shoulder, who knows.

Matusz? Likely LOOGY staple in this bullpen, and FWIW, I'm totally fine with that.

We literally DO NOT have a starter in which we can reliably predict their 2013 production. Joe Saunders is that man. He should be the anchor for 2013. The one that pulls off the steady 7ip/3-4er performance that stops a losing streak. We absolutely need that this coming season. Get it done now!

Just curious. Can a team avoid giving up the pick by giving a guy a MiL deal? Could the Orioles give Lohse a MiL deal, and like a huge incentive if he makes the team? I would look up but it's a pain on my phone.

I read on Baseball America, I believe, that some teams are considering doing a sign and trade deal in cases like this. For example, a team that has its first round pick protected and has already signed a compensation free agent would only have to surrender a 3rd round pick to sign another. That team could sign a compensation free agent and, with the player's permission (which would be required), trade him to another team that would have normally had to give up its first round pick. The benefit to the other team would be that they would receive compensation that is worth more than a 3rd round draft pick is to them. Not sure if the this would actually fly, but it is something that some teams have considered.

Archived