It's a New Year, let's turn the page here at the Hangout!

Tony-OH

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Tony is pretty patient with the ban hammer. People can be opinionated, and sometimes flat out aggressive in the defense of their opinions, and it isn't until they cross a certain point in that aggression that he bans them.

Some of the bans are temporary. For temp bans (IE: posters in time out), they should be "Benched"

Posters who get the permaban should be the only ones identified as "released".

Please do not do this if you just intend to cause trouble once again. I believe in new beginnings and that everyone deserves a second chance, but the same behavior will just be grounds for a lifetime ban.

I hope everyone has a great 2013 and let's hope the O's will give us as much to cheer for as they did in 2012!

I'd love to see this board come together once again with some of the old posters, but I have to wonder why anyone thinks things would be different? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Maybe some people just don't belong in large communities? Maybe this is a personality thing between mods and those guys, which means both sides need to really be sincere about turing the page?

IDK...but I hope it works out.

In the spirit of the New Year 2013, a year in which we have some hope that our Baltimore Orioles will be able to compete once again for a playoff spot, I'm offering up "amnesty" for anyone who has been banned from the Hangout for just about any reason over the years.

All you need to do is send me an e-mail at publisher-oh[at]orioleshangout.com and let me know you would like to come back and that you will follow all posted rules. Please also include the handle that you would like unbanned.

Please do not do this if you just intend to cause trouble once again. I believe in new beginnings and that everyone deserves a second chance, but the same behavior will just be grounds for a lifetime ban.

I hope everyone has a great 2013 and let's hope the O's will give us as much to cheer for as they did in 2012!

Tony, how long will this amnesty window be open?

I'd like to hear OldFans take on Markakis winning a Gold Glove.

*shudders*... actually, I don't think I want to... at all.

I'd like to hear OldFans take on Markakis winning a Gold Glove.

*shudders*... actually, I don't think I want to ... at all.

We've already had someone point out that both Adam Jones and Nick Markakis are both well below average according to UZR and DRS, so you've essentially had a sneak preview of what's coming.

I'd love to see this board come together once again with some of the old posters, but I have to wonder why anyone thinks things would be different? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Maybe some people just don't belong in large communities? Maybe this is a personality thing between mods and those guys, which means both sides need to really be sincere about turing the page?

Because people grow and evolve. Some do anyway. This is a magnanimous gesture on Tony's part. It will be interesting to see who responds and in what way.

I have no posters in mind when I decided to do this, and trust me when I say there are some that I hope don't take me up on the offer, but at the same time, sometimes you have to bury the hatchet. This is more towards people who may have signed up for multiple accounts or had a bad day and ended up getting themselves banned. I want to give them another shot. As for Oldfan, I never wanted to ban him. He was a good guy when we chatted through e-mail, but he was just causing too many problems.

Either way, I thought it would be a nice gesture but that of course didn't stop one poster from passively attacking the moderation like we were to be blamed for the bannings. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, it's about on par with his normal attitude. Some people just can't stand good-will and will try to turn it around into something negative.

I have no posters in mind when I decided to do this, and trust me when I say there are some that I hope don't take me up on the offer, but at the same time, sometimes you have to bury the hatchet. This is more towards people who may have signed up for multiple accounts or had a bad day and ended up getting themselves banned. I want to give them another shot. As for Oldfan, I never wanted to ban him. He was a good guy when we chatted through e-mail, but he was just causing too many problems.

Either way, I thought it would be a nice gesture but that of course didn't stop one poster from passively attacking the moderation like we were to be blamed for the bannings. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, it's about on par with his normal attitude. Some people just can't stand good-will and will try to turn it around into something negative.

I think that it is a very nice gesture on more than one level. Anyone can have a bad day, month or year. People change. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change. :)

If I start breaking into "We are Fam-A-Lee", do I get the neg rep wrath of all the old school O's fans?

Absolutely. I turn the radio if that song comes on. I once walked out of Baja Beach Club when they played it.

You have to draw the line somewhere. What's next, using Mayflower Moving Company to move my belongings?

There are simply some lines that can't be crossed.

Archived