Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either (no pun intended:rolleyes: ) go into the next season with one of the best left handers in the bigs, or settle for a less-than-par package. I have my faith in Andy.

As long as those obliques persevere, we can expect that much more next offseason.

My question is how you decide to not trade someone with about 3 and a half months left till the season starts.

I think it's probably just posturing on Andy's part. I'm sure he knows that to deal Bedard for the highest possible price that teams will have to believe we're willing to keep him another year. The "ace" market is down to Santana and EB. The teams needing an ace ("buyers") is significantly more than 2. We'll get what we require for EB eventually, but Andy is driving a hard bargain instead of taking the deals offered.

I think we need to give the new GM a chance fellas - he's earned a few more weeks of good will for unloading malcontent #1...

Plenty of time in the offseason to tinker.

Oh yeah, another sub .500 season without enough rebuilding, such a great reason for a :).

First of all, it is just Andy closing up shop for the holidays. Its his parting shot to other GMs. He doesn't feel so bad taking 2 weeks off if there is no deal on the table worth taking.

Second, it is no secret that I want the O's to keep Bedard thus the :) . But its a long way to opening day. Let's see what happens in January. Enjoy your holidays. It ain't over.

First of all, it is just Andy closing up shop for the holidays. Its his parting shot to other GMs. He doesn't feel so bad taking 2 weeks off if there is no deal on the table worth taking.

Second, it is no secret that I want the O's to keep Bedard thus the :) . But its a long way to opening day. Let's see what happens in January. Enjoy your holidays. It ain't over.

I agree with what you say in the opening paragraph. That said, this is the most worried I've been all offseason.

I love Erik Bedard - see this thread: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55140&highlight=Bedard But I sure hope Andy is playing a good game of poker here. If the Seattle and Reds deals that were listed in my poll thread* were actually on the table, and Andy screwed them up, I'd be very disappointed in that outcome and so would 90% of the posters who voted in that poll.

*http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56604

I agree with what you say in the opening paragraph. That said, this is the most worried I've been all offseason.

I love Erik Bedard - see this thread: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55140&highlight=Bedard But I sure hope Andy is playing a good game of poker here. If the Seattle and Reds deals that were listed in my poll thread* were actually on the table, and Andy screwed them up, I'd be very disappointed in that outcome and so would 90% of the posters who voted in that poll.

*http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56604

You know I am in the other 10%. Its probably closer to 1%.

Bedard is just too good to trade. Having an ace to build around would make rebuilding much shorter. I know what is being said that is offered and quite frankly I agree with Andy. It is not enough.

Maybe someone will meet Andy's price. If they do, I think we are assured of a very good deal. If not the O's have an ace and turn to trading some young talent that is surplus for some that fit the holes. That is not as bad an approach as many make it out to be.

My question is how you decide to not trade someone with about 3 and a half months left till the season starts.

Because you have to start putting 2008 together at some point. He needs to fill out a closer, SS, CF, another bullpen arm, and maybe a 2B depending on Roberts.

As SG noted there's more to do than Roberts and Bedard. Problem is you hope to fill needs with Bedard and Roberts and when those traded don''t come off you're stuck with Hernandez and Redman in your starting lineup.

Problem is you hope to fill needs with Bedard and Roberts and when those traded don''t come off you're stuck with Hernandez and Redman in your starting lineup.

Bigbird, that was my problem w/the Cincinnatti trade that some people here were lionizing. You w/have gotten a good pitcher, a good (but not particularly great) first base prospect, and a couple of nobodies who either don't play those key positions or aren't remotely close to coming up here. If they'd made that trade, you w/still have had Hernandez and Redman in your starting lineup.

Seattle w/have given us a top CF prospect in Adam Jones, but if they pull back Morrow as we're hearing now, there's not much else else in their farm system that's good enough-at least not in the high minors. Balentien's good but that w/mean losing their 2 top outfield prospects if Jones goes, so I doubt if they'll trade him either.

It looks like ther only kind of trade we mite be able to make right now is the kind we made for Tejada-a bunch of may bees and hopefulls, but no real blue chipper.

I don't want Bedard here opening day, that's for sure! He doesn't want to be here. More importantly, he could have a bad start or even a bad year that w/diminish his value. Or, heaven help us, he could get hurt. In which case he has NO value.

But there is no way I'd trade him for the second hand players Cincinnatti and Seattle are willing to give us.Neither team will give us its top prospects-Bruce, Morrow, etc. So you pull him back in and bide your time. Maybe things will open up.

Or maybe MacPhail's posturing as some are suggesting. I hope that's what's happening.

Because you have to start putting 2008 together at some point. He needs to fill out a closer, SS, CF, another bullpen arm, and maybe a 2B depending on Roberts.

As SG noted there's more to do than Roberts and Bedard. Problem is you hope to fill needs with Bedard and Roberts and when those traded don''t come off you're stuck with Hernandez and Redman in your starting lineup.

Understandable but why can't the front office be looking for these needs while continuing to talk Bedard trade with other teams. I've known for years that our FO is not the most efficient but I always assumed that they could work on multiple projects at once.

Archived