Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

So, we wanted Kemp AND Kershaw for Bedard?

We will only take Morrow???

Bruce must be traded or no deal?

AM is starting to look very unreasonable.

Extremely so. He's very out of touch with the market. Just accept the fact that Beane undercut you and the market is what it is. Take the top two players and run...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extremely so. He's very out of touch with the market. Just accept the fact that Beane undercut you and the market is what it is. Take the top two players and run...

Agreed, take the best offer that is on the table, and go with it. Will be much better than any offer during season or next year.

The two players being offered aren't exactly slouches either. I mean we have a chance to fill the hole in CF with a possible future All-Star with Jones and possibly get a solid DH in Clement, or we could flip him for a SS. Tillman or Butler would also have good upsides. With Votto, we have our best 1B man since Raffy left the first time and Cueto or Bailey could be a future #1 that could be just as good as Bedard at a younger age. A player like Stubbs or Maloney would also be good depth, and Stubbs would be our best CF prospect in the organization. There is an opportunity here to fill two holes on this team. It's not time to be greedy and risk losing these two top players to try to get three or four. That's just simply unreasonable, and I fully expect teams to move on from us if MacPhail continues to have a ridiculous price tag on Bedard.

I have no problem with Erik Bedard as our opening day starter if AM feels he's not getting enough in return. Teams that covet Bedard will make eventually come through, if not, there's always the trading deadline when Bedard could certainly make a difference for a team.

would i prefer to net a bunch of high level prospects for Bedard, absolutely, but I'm not going to start getting on MacPhail before the season even starts.

Now, if we go into the season and Roberts, Bedard, Payton, Hernandez, Huff and Millar are all on the roster still and Hernandez and Redman are penciled into the starting lineup, then I'll have a problem. But there's more to this offseason I'm sure...

I hope so Tony. However, I am starting to get the same feeling I get every year at this time. That once again the Orioles FO is full of offseason promises, only not to deliver. I will reserve judgement until February, but I have a gut feeling about this- again! In my opinion, they need to move Bedard before spring training. I agree with you that Mora and Payton need to moved as well. It would be a bonus to move Hernandez, but maybe we would get more is he has a good first half and move him at the trade deadline. The Seattle deal that is rumored is very close to being a solid package for Bedard. Everything that was rumored about the Cubs deal sounded like a good package. I guess the entire media was wrong about all these trade rumors.

Why is it that every one of our GMs have been unreasonable in their negotiations over the years?

Is this a trait PA looks for or something??

Fixed it for you. ;)

Or is it PA's influence ?

I have no idea.

A couple of our Cubs fans have indicated that AM is like PA in one respect- very cautious/risk-averse.

The two players being offered aren't exactly slouches either. I mean we have a chance to fill the hole in CF with a possible future All-Star with Jones and possibly get a solid DH in Clement, or we could flip him for a SS. Tillman or Butler would also have good upsides. With Votto, we have our best 1B man since Raffy left the first time and Cueto or Bailey could be a future #1 that could be just as good as Bedard at a younger age. A player like Stubbs or Maloney would also be good depth, and Stubbs would be our best CF prospect in the organization. There is an opportunity here to fill two holes on this team. It's not time to be greedy and risk losing these two top players to try to get three or four. That's just simply unreasonable, and I fully expect teams to move on from us if MacPhail continues to have a ridiculous price tag on Bedard.

I agree with your assessment. The only thing I can think of is that all these rumors are B.S., but I find that hard to believe. Either trade, the way it is packaged now, is solid. Could they be better- yes. Bedard's trade value is at his highest. He could blow out his elbow in Spring training. Next offseason, he will only have 1 year left on his deal and teams will want to resign him before a trade is finalized. Hopefully the FO will make some moves the first of the year. My gut says Bedard and Roberts will be on our team come opening day. New offseason, same promises, same crappy team.

Something that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that we don't set the market on how much Bedard is worth. We can ask for a lot, doesn't mean we're going to get it.

It's similar to selling a house. You can start off asking a million dollars for it but if you get two offers for 925k, turn them both down....and then get an offer for 915k a few weeks later...guess how much your house is really worth? It's only worth as much as someones willing to pay for it.

IMO, it's not the end of the world if Bedards here on opening day. Just pray that he doesn't go down with an injury in the season.

I agree with your assessment. The only thing I can think of is that all these rumors are B.S., but I find that hard to believe. Either trade, the way it is packaged now, is solid. Could they be better- yes. Bedard's trade value is at his highest. He could blow out his elbow in Spring training. Next offseason, he will only have 1 year left on his deal and teams will want to resign him before a trade is finalized. Hopefully the FO will make some moves the first of the year. My gut says Bedard and Roberts will be on our team come opening day. New offseason, same promises, same crappy team.

After what we have been through many years of PA's annual speech "this year will be different" BS.....it is hard not to think this is just another offseason of same-same.

OTOH, after dealing Tejada- there should be no turning back.

Bedard, BRob, Mora have to be dealt.

Then as many of these that can be dealt- Payton, Huff, Hernandez, Payton, Bradford, and Gibbons should be released.

Something that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that we don't set the market on how much Bedard is worth. We can ask for a lot, doesn't mean we're going to get it.

Exaclty, the Haren trade set the market for Bedard. Bedard and Haren are almost equal in value. He's more durable, younger and has three years on his deal and he only netted one real top prospect. We are lucky to be getting two in a Bedard trade, let alone three or four.

If Bedard is on our roster opening day, we just set our rebuilding stage back 2-3 years, making it 2015+ before we can hope to be good again. Then other guys are gonna wanna leave also, like Loewen, Markakis, and the youngsters when they come up, aren't gonna want to be here.

To me this whole thing is a joke. Like AM is going to sit there and say o.k. the whole grand expirement is over. He is still going to have talks. Bedard still might be moved. The worst thing that is going to come of this is that opening day Bedard is pitching for us. That is the worst thing.

Exaclty, the Haren trade set the market for Bedard. Bedard and Haren are almost equal in value. He's more durable, younger and has three years on his deal and he only netted one real top prospect. We are lucky to be getting two in a Bedard trade, let alone three or four.

Haren didn't set the market for Bedard.

Different deal, different teams and GM's. Apples and oranges.

You miss his point. Everyone values these guys differently.

SEA and CIN will only give up what THEY think EB is worth, regardless of how Ariz valued Haren, and regardless of what AM thinks he is worth. Besides, maybe 3 of SEA/CIN prospects are better than the 5 Ariz prospects.

Archived